• Register Today It's free!

Chop off part of stock bumper

slaughterrt

Reaction score
City, State
Old Bridge, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer XLT

Anybody got a link or pic of their 2nd gen with the bottom half of the stock bumper chopped off. I am almost positive that I have seen them here but I'm having no luck searching. I guess it would look sorta like the bumpers without the bottom chrome and fog light option. I am just looking for a cheap mod to do to waste some time. That, plus I think it looks nicer.

Yes I will have to relocate the 3 driving lights...but hey. No biggy.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think you'd regret it.

I think the stock bumper is just extremely bulky. Perhaps instead of chopping I should be thinking swapping? I know some of the earlier 2nd gens have a shorter bumper. Are they also plastic/chrome or are they metal?

I would like a shorter/less bulky bumper and it would be great if it was steel instead of the junk stock bumper.

This isn't the greatest picture but heres my '98 and '00 to compare. The '98's bumper is all metal except for the clip on rubber/plastic top.
DSC00577.jpg

DSC00596.jpg

My '98 Sport with the steel bumper and lower valance.
DSC00589.jpg

I think the stock bumper is just extremely bulky. Perhaps instead of chopping I should be thinking swapping? I know some of the earlier 2nd gens have a shorter bumper. Are they also plastic/chrome or are they metal?

I would like a shorter/less bulky bumper and it would be great if it was steel instead of the junk stock bumper.

After looking at your rig, I think the Sport bumper in my previous post would look pretty good on it.

After looking at your rig, I think the Sport bumper in my previous post would look pretty good on it.

I definitely like the sport bumper better than my stock. I would prob black it out instead of the chrome. However, that is definitely the style I am looking for.

Thanks

A 2nd gen sport bumper should bolt on to a 2nd gen XLT if I am not mistaken?

I definitely like the sport bumper better than my stock. I would prob black it out instead of the chrome. However, that is definitely the style I am looking for.

Thanks

A 2nd gen sport bumper should bolt on to a 2nd gen XLT if I am not mistaken?

It's a perfect fit. The XLT and Sport up to '00 are the same from the firewall forward. Btw the bumper on the red Sport is factory color.

Back