Google Maps or Waze Directions on bluetooth | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Google Maps or Waze Directions on bluetooth

JCrew7384

Reaction score
City, State
Jersey City, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Ford Explorer Platin
Hi. Is there any way to hear the google maps or Waze directions that are on my phone while listening to Sirius and not connected to the phone as media? When I listen to music on my phone, I hear the directions come through. But when I have Sirius on, even if my iPhone is set to the Bluetooth in the car, it doesn't come through.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey JCrew7384,

The only way to hear the directions from a phone app is by having your phone connected to Bluetooth audio or USB media (depending on the phone) while the directions are being given. Hope that helps!

Rebecca

In my 2009 Jeep, which I just traded in for the new Explorer, even if I was on Sirius, or FM, or anything else, if my phone was connected to Bluetooth, it would connect to the car, interrupt and play the sound. Similar to when a call comes through. It starts the sound in the car.

In my 2009 Jeep, which I just traded in for the new Explorer, even if I was on Sirius, or FM, or anything else, if my phone was connected to Bluetooth, it would connect to the car, interrupt and play the sound. Similar to when a call comes through. It starts the sound in the car.
It seems that the two vehicles use different systems according to explanation given by Rebecca.

Peter

Hi. Is there any way to hear the google maps or Waze directions that are on my phone while listening to Sirius and not connected to the phone as media? When I listen to music on my phone, I hear the directions come through. But when I have Sirius on, even if my iPhone is set to the Bluetooth in the car, it doesn't come through.

I use waze quite often and it comes through just fine for me. I have an iPhone and I reverse pair them, not sure if that matters. I'm using iOS 9.3 beta 2, but I'm pretty sure it worked with previous versions of iOS.

I use waze quite often and it comes through just fine for me. I have an iPhone and I reverse pair them, not sure if that matters.

What does reverse pair mean?

What does reverse pair mean?

When you add a device, hit the button at the bottom that says find other devices(or something close to that). You'd need to delete your phone from MFT and sync from your phone first.

I use Waze also without a problem with it interrupting whatever it is in listening to and giving me either the directions or the warning. One important note, in the Settings on Waze itself, under sound, I have it set to "prefer Bluetooth" over the other one. That's when it first started coming through the car speakers without being wired up.

Hope that helps.

I use Waze also without a problem with it interrupting whatever it is in listening to and giving me either the directions or the warning. One important note, in the Settings on Waze itself, under sound, I have it set to "prefer Bluetooth" over the other one. That's when it first started coming through the car speakers without being wired up.

Ah, mine was set to phone speaker. I just changed it to prefer Bluetooth and will check on the way home. Last night I confirmed that when I was on a phone call or listening to Apple Music through BT, the Waze instructions came through. When I was on Sirius, it went to the phone speaker. Hopefully that setting makes a difference. Do you know if a similar setting is available in Google Maps?

Thanks.

Ah, mine was set to phone speaker. I just changed it to prefer Bluetooth and will check on the way home. Last night I confirmed that when I was on a phone call or listening to Apple Music through BT, the Waze instructions came through. When I was on Sirius, it went to the phone speaker. Hopefully that setting makes a difference. Do you know if a similar setting is available in Google Maps?

Thanks.

I'm not 100% sure about the iOS version of Google Maps, but I'm guessing it's similar to the Android version. In the Android version go to Settings->Navigation Settings and there's a check box for Play voice over Bluetooth.

Ah, mine was set to phone speaker. I just changed it to prefer Bluetooth and will check on the way home.

Mine is also set to prefer Bluetooth. I now remember changing this a couple years ago when I started using Waze.

I'm not 100% sure about the iOS version of Google Maps, but I'm guessing it's similar to the Android version. In the Android version go to Settings->Navigation Settings and there's a check box for Play voice over Bluetooth.
I tried that the other day on a trip to Philly and it never came through the car speakers.
Android htc M8 on Android 6.0 and using the latest google maps version.

Back