Towing: Whats the most weight you have towed? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Towing: Whats the most weight you have towed?

Keep the Over Drive off and take it easy and slow.

Hopefully your trailer has electric brakes. The hills in TN and gonna be tough.

Anyway to plan your route to take alternate routes rather than interstate?

The interstate is where all the crazy, inconsiderate drivers hang out.

I have towed the boat, which is right at 5K without any problems. My trailer is old and has no brakes. I can feel the "push" going down hill. I wish I had them.,

I have to rent a trailer it seems. I do have a brake controller installed in my X Sport.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What about I-69 to I-65 South out of Indianapolis.

I don't remember that stretch being too bad although it might be a bit out of the way.

Second thought.

You may want to google something like Classic Car Transporters.

Could be a little expensive but they go door to door and have all of the proper stuff to do it.

It would keep you from tearing up your rig.

A friend of mine priced it out to get a Jetta for his daughter from Brookhaven, MS to Jacksonville, FL and it was only $800.

Cheaper than a transmission.

Great point. Thank You

OK...don't shoot me but just want to ask.

If the 16 Sport and Platinum's with the 3.5 Eco-boost is at 365hp, 360ftlb torque, and rated to pull up to 5K with a recommendation of a weight distribution hitch, why is it such a problem? Why is it hard on the tranny, etc if Ford designed the vehicle with this towing capacity rating?

I would expect braking, etc is also designed with this capacity in mind for safety. (also understand at the high end rating, some type of trailer brake is recommended)

Just curious.

I feel the same way...The X Sport has plenty of torque... Plus im running a LMS tuner. I have a tow tune in there i can use. Im sure it shuts overdrive off automatically just like the tow button does. The LMS tow tune is way better than the stock tow button Im sure...

I'm not arguing with you. I agree, it is rated at 5k and you can tow 5k. That is why they added an oil cooler, a duct at the bottom of the bumper to send cool air up to the coolers and a different transmission with the tow package option. They did it so it can handle the 5k and there should be no negative effects.

All I was saying is that it isn't the engine that is the limiting factor with the explorer, it is the unibody.. otherwise the Sport/Platinum models with the Ecoboost would be rated higher.

I agree 100% that its the unibody not the motor for the 5k rating.

Thank You

A bunch of great feed back thank you all!
Think im gonna look into a aluminum trailer to get the weight down.
I will keep you guys posted.

travel trailer

guys im looking into going from an xlt to a sport with the tow package included if this suv can tow a little travel trailer. I was looking at travel america and the average weight for them is 5-6k. I know the max capacity is 5k are these vechiles capabale and if so what do you guys recommend I rent?

I want to tow something like this. This is super cheap for a 3 day weekend
Jay_Flight_SLX_travel_trailer.jpg

guys im looking into going from an xlt to a sport with the tow package included if this suv can tow a little travel trailer. I was looking at travel america and the average weight for them is 5-6k. I know the max capacity is 5k are these vechiles capabale and if so what do you guys recommend I rent?

If you are moving to a sport to tow over the rated capacity, find a different vehicle.

As I have said before, if you are within the rated capacity I think you would be OK. If your over, no deal.

I know the max capacity is 5k are these vechiles capabale and if so what do you guys recommend I rent?

A TT that weighs no more than 4300lbs. Those weights quoted are for a base trailer without some options, nor anything additional you put in it. Also you need to be concerned with the Gross Combined Vehicle Weight Rating. Which takes into account the weight of, and everything in, your Ex and TT.

If you're looking for a "little" travel trailer, why not look into renting a class C or even class B motorhome. Cut out all the stress of trailering.

your probably right about it..i guess i just need to stop thinking this truck can do it all and just pay 195 for 3 days ant rent a a little trailer. and be done with it =)

First off, good morning! Happy Friday! Happy St. Patrick's day! So I have been doing a lot of reading, and the towing capabilities of the 3.5 tt has been set at 5k. How realistic is this. Could you reasonably tow a travel trailer that is gvw of 4500?

Thoughts/experiences?

First off, good morning! Happy Friday! Happy St. Patrick's day! So I have been doing a lot of reading, and the towing capabilities of the 3.5 tt has been set at 5k. How realistic is this. Could you reasonably tow a travel trailer that is gvw of 4500?

Thoughts/experiences?
Welcome to the Forum Alan.:wave:
I have merged your thread with this one on a somewhat similar topic. Found it using the handy 'Search' feature in the upper right. There are a few more threads on towing as well. To tow over 2000 lbs it is recommended that weight distribution hitch be used. That has also been discussed here and there are a couple threads as well.

Peter

I have a 2014 Ford explorer sport with 4wd and class III towing package. I am buying a new 24 foot boat that with boat and trailer the weight is 5200 pounds. The class III towing package states that the max towing capacity is 5000#. Has anyone towed something over the max towing capacity before and everything was fine? If capable to tow slightly over the max capacity, I am going to buy a trailer brake controller for the trailer to assist in braking and add an extra transmission cooler. I would greatly appreciate the help so I can determine whether I can tow the boat because typically the companies are somewhat conservative with a factor of safety included in their maximum capacities listed.

You also have to factor that the boat weight rating is going to be light after you add all the things you'll need to load it up with. And, keep in mind you're going to be pushing the GWVR as well. How far, and often will you be towing it? Flat? Hilly? Surge brakes?

Yep, that boat weight is the dry weight so add fuel and all the junk that you are going to put in it and you will be a ways over. Also does the boat weight include the trailer, if not then add even more weight.

I have no doubt that the GCVW will be over specs and that your boat trailer combo total weight will be Closer to 6k than 5k when all the fuel and gear is loaded. Even with trailer brakes you are way over limit. You will open yourself up to big lawsuits if involved in even the smallest of accidents. Get an F150, towing will be much easier and you won't have an insurance company hang you out to swing in the wind if you have a mishap on the roads.
My opinion for what it's worth.

I would greatly appreciate the help so I can determine whether I can tow the boat because typically the companies are somewhat conservative with a factor of safety included in their maximum capacities listed.
Add 500 lbs of fuel, and 500 lbs of gear. You're more like 6,000 lbs. Boat trailer brakes are generally surge brakes, so no electronic controller required. Just a 7 pin to 5 pin adapter.

The Explorer is pretty weak at towing. I wouldn't trust the flimsy 6 speed transmission. I tow a 21 foot center console, but I use my diesel Touareg. The hitch on the Explorer is useful for a bike rack, and not much else.

Recommend you look for something more robust. Good luck.

I have a 2014 Ford explorer sport with 4wd and class III towing package. I am buying a new 24 foot boat that with boat and trailer the weight is 5200 pounds. The class III towing package states that the max towing capacity is 5000#. Has anyone towed something over the max towing capacity before and everything was fine? If capable to tow slightly over the max capacity, I am going to buy a trailer brake controller for the trailer to assist in braking and add an extra transmission cooler. I would greatly appreciate the help so I can determine whether I can tow the boat because typically the companies are somewhat conservative with a factor of safety included in their maximum capacities listed.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Your thread was merged with this one found using the Forum's handy 'Search' feature (upper right).
I agree that you could be asking for trouble if your towing weight gets to the 6000 lb point. A weight distribution hitch is a definite requirement basically for anything over 2000 lbs. You also could run into liability issues should you have a mishap while towing a weight in excess of the manufacturer's specifications. You also have to take the weight of passengers and items inside the vehicle into consideration as alluded to a couple posts ago. From what I've read, the Explorer is a very capable 'hauler' as long as you don't overdo it.
The following may also be of interest; http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...do-you-tow-with-your-5th-gen-explorer.325799/

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I towed my Daughters 2008 Explorer on a UHaul car trailer across the state of SC (Greenville to Rock Hill) with my 2015 Explorer Sport and had to remind myself that it was back there. I know that exceeded the 5000 tow limit but it worked out just fine. 3200 pound vehicle on a car trailer will come in well under 5000 lb limit. But just remember it's back there and give yourself ample stopping distance and you'll be fine...

Back