Remanufactured 5r55s/5r55w transmission - Any Sugestions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Remanufactured 5r55s/5r55w transmission - Any Sugestions

Rally Dude?

Reaction score
City, State
beer
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Ford Explorer
I need to replace my 5r55W/s transmission in my 2005 XLT. I am currnetly looking at a quick fix by swapping in a Junik Yard tranny but I am considering either getting my existing re-manufactured or buying a re-manufactured tranny.

Does anyone have any suggestions on where to buy or what to buy to ensure the port problems, selonoid problems and 2-3 band issues are mitigated?

My current issue is the 2-3 shift slip and loss of OD. I have apparently be babying my transmission for a whiclle through my acceleration pattern. Recently had a oil change shop over fill the transmission and 2 hours and one decent hill later it all went south. I've been driving it with the high rev shoft for about 3-months now. I have swapped out the solenoids and tested the OD sensor so I am pretty sure its the transmission. Especially since its tranny #2 and has >100k on it.

Any way I am hoping someone has recomendations on what to look for since these Transmissions are considered one of the most problematic.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Missing 3rd gear is a servo bore issue.

Either a complete tear down or usr the updated servo pin as mentioned above.

could try Jasper engines/transmissions. We bought an engine from them last summer. 3year/100K warranty. Plus they will pay like $95/hour for a shop to fix anything ever wrong with the motor inside 3yr/100k

streetsmarttransmission.com

Get it from www.rockauto.com. They address all the weaknesses, include all the parts you need to just bolt it up, and have a three year warranty. Definitely the best deal out there.

Back