• Register Today It's free!

2000 ohc wont start

tanbuddy

Reaction score
City, State
PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Sport
My 2000 has had trouble starting when cold, now it wont start at all and its warm out.

I pulled a plug wire and stuck a plug in it, it has spark.
I sprayed eather in it and that didn't help. it might have sputtered once every 5 sec of cranking.
check engine light is off when cranking, it is on when I just have key forward, no codes come up with scanner
theft light blinks slowly all the time, blinks rapidly when cranking
tack doesn't work when its cranking over.

changed the crank pos sensor.
thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2352806

Rapid flash of theft light while cranking does not seems good.

Just in case though, do you hear the fuel pump prime for 1-2 seconds after key is turned to "on"?

Try key on and off about 5 times in a row, then try to start the engine with the accelerator pedal to the floor.

the fuel pump primes very quietly, but if I press on the Schrader valve a little bit squirts out. It still wont start on eather though. Will try priming it 5x and trying to start and see what happens

the fuel pump primes very quietly, but if I press on the Schrader valve a little bit squirts out. It still wont start on eather though. Will try priming it 5x and trying to start and see what happens

With accelerator pedal to the floor.

tried priming 5 x and cranking with it wide open. didn't even try to start.
As soon as key is turned anti theft flashed rapidly.

Ive read if the anti theft is bad it will turn off injectors, but if I used eather it should start on that correct?

Im getting my fuel pressure gauge back tomorrow and checking that since the fuel pump is quiet, but the eather thing has me stumped.

is there a way to turn off the pats antitheft system? I don't care if I have antitheft or not, I leave the key in the car 99% of the time anyway.

It wont try to start with the pedal held to the floor. Doing this turns off the fuel injectors (useful if the engine is flooded). I suggest you check the fuel pressure with a fuel pressure gauge. It should be around 65-67 PSI for your year.

I assume you have the 4.0L SOHC engine? If so a bad cam sensor can also prevent your engine from starting.

I'm suspecting a bad fuel pump and or clogged fuel filter, but that's just a guess w/o testing the pressure. Also try resetting the inertia switch and swapping the fuel pump relay found in the power distribution box with another similar relay.

Yeah its a soch, will try the things you said tomorrow and see what happens. is the cam pos sensor located on the drivers valve cover by the oil fill? I saw something there that looked like a cps

Yeah its a soch, will try the things you said tomorrow and see what happens. is the cam pos sensor located on the drivers valve cover by the oil fill? I saw something there that looked like a cps

Yes, the driver's side valve cover.

Try a different key

The camshaft position sensor allows the PCM to determine if a cylinder is on the compression stroke or the exhaust stroke. Often the SOHC V6 will not start with a defective camshaft position sensor. The crankshaft position sensor allows the PCM to determine when to fire the injectors and the spark plugs. Anti-theft can only be defeated with a custom tune. I suggest that you try a different ignition key.

new cam pos sensor didn't help,
checked fuel pressure, it went to 60 psi the 2nd time I tried it.
held that pressure then every time after that.

only have 1 key for it so I cant try another key.

Next step is to check the compression.

Does it sound or feel different than usual while cranking? does it seem to crank smoother--faster, any ticking noises while cranking?

sounds normal, ill give the compression a check and see what she looks like
'

the compression was between 150-170 psi. I did get it to run on eather for about 3 seconds but it too a lot of it sprayed down the 3/4 open throttle body.

Im guessing it has to be something with the injectors. is there a simple test for the antitheft?

If someone has a used tuner for sale that is close by i would buy to turn off the pats and try that route.

Pats

On my 2000 Sport PATS disables the fuel injectors when a non-verified ignition key is used. Since your engine has spark, starts on starter fluid, and the Theft light is flashing I assume that your key is not being recognized. I suggest that you try the key with nothing else on the key ring. Obviously, it's too late to mention that I have three keys for both of my Explorers. You might try to clone your current key. I know that Ace Hardware has the capability and one doesn't cost much. If it won't successfully clone (the machine reads the identity code and programs the key to the same sequence) then you know you have a bad key. If the key successfully clones then you know that you have some other PATS related malfunction. There are threads on the forum that describe how PATS works. As I recall, often the small wire in the vicinity of the ignition switch breaks.

Darn, good luck - that's frustrating. Please post your final findings! My problem sounded like yours some (2000 5.0L AWD 130k miles). But, ever since I vented some gas through the fuel rail schrader valve mine has started (only been a few days). I expect that is not the ultimate fix, however...how many miles on it?

It only has 95,ooo miles on it, so I want to keep it for a while yet, or until it rots apart. I'll check with ace if they can clone the key. I talked to the dealer, it would be 100 bucks for them to reflash something with the system, and if I needed the new module or the ignition switch it was 150-300 bucks for those parts.

Im considering buying a tuner that turns off the pats system. Does anyone know if it will turn off a broken system, or if it can only turn it off if the system is working/
thanks

tuner requires functional system

My SCT Power Flash has to be able to communicate with the PCM using a functional ignition key before it can upload a modified tune. I've never tried it with my non-PATS door key but I doubt it would work. Even if it would you'd have to find an SCT dealer that has a license for your particular PCM strategy to send you a custom tune disabling PATS. By the way, they won't do it for free because their time and license costs are a business expense.

thanks for the reply, guess I gotta take her to the dealer

I know this is kinda out in left field, but have you checked the battery, grounds, and clamps?
I had a battery lose a cell, made the ABS and theft lights flash, even when trying to jump it. Truck even ran for a minute before stalling out again. I'm prettysure you have a PATS issue, but it's easy to miss the small stuff.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

colintrax - good call. I'm not the original poster, but am having similar issue with 00 5.0L V8 AWD. I did check battery terminals, and the ground terminal for some reason has excessively rapid corrosion buildup. Even over the course of a week or two the buildup is noticeable...

Back