2016 Ford Explorer review, thoughts? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2016 Ford Explorer review, thoughts?

1995E

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 + 11 Ex both XLT
I find it interesting that they chop up the pre-production models instead of sell it or give it away to charity. Seems like a waste to me.

Anyway, summarizing the review. They said the Ford Explorer 2016 with the MFT will not be able to upgrade to SYNC 3. If I was in the market for a new Explorer, I would because MFT has too many problems to be stuck with and be worth it ( No Applink either ).

I am very excited about the Platinum. Having options is a pain whenever shopping for a car because you want everything but the dealer doesn't have everything. Smart choice.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I watched that video through a link in another thread. I noticed the salesman saying that both the hood and front fenders are aluminum. I guess we'll have to wait and see if he is correct about the fenders. After doing a 'Build & Price' on the 2016 MKX, the Platinum is looking better to me. We still can't 'Build & Price' it here in Canada but as I mentioned before, my salesman gave me a price of $61,400 with the 2nd row buckets/console. I figure the MKX I built on the U.S. site would likely be around $68k here.

Peter

I watched that video through a link in another thread. I noticed the salesman saying that both the hood and front fenders are aluminum. I guess we'll have to wait and see if he is correct about the fenders. After doing a 'Build & Price' on the 2016 MKX, the Platinum is looking better to me. We still can't 'Build & Price' it here in Canada but as I mentioned before, my salesman gave me a price of $61,400 with the 2nd row buckets/console. I figure the MKX I built on the U.S. site would likely be around $68k here.

Peter

I am curious, why a Lincoln MKX versus an Explorer? Isn't the MKX equivalent to the Edge or are you trying to look for more luxury? I'd think the Explorer platinum is more bang for your buck with more seating. 3.5L Ecoboost versus the MKX 2.7L Ecoboost/ 3.7L NA V6. I'm curious if the new Ford Explorer Platinum would have continuously controlled damping like the Lincolns?

I like the new design much more that the current MKX. It has a few more options than the Platinum but not many. There is an option to have headlights all LED and the sound system is an upgrade. When I got the MKT, the maintenance (oil, filter etc) was free and the interest rate was 0%. Once we can 'Build & Price' up here I'll have a better understanding of the price difference. I was advised that would be available on the 20th. The MKX was just an after thought when I initially zeroed in on the Platinum. In any case, unless the dealer makes me another hard to pass up offer on the MKT, I won't be in the market until Feb/March 2017 but I'm one of those people who likes to plan ahead. Hoping I'm still around by then. :D

Peter

Deja vu

I watched a utube video on the 2016 explorer from town and country ford in Alabama. A man drives the new model around the country showing it to dealers. As he was showing it he said there were 2 flaws on it. A dent in the roof and a FINGER PRINT ON THE PASS SIDE HEAD LIGHT. SOUND FAMILIAR?
I'm still going to buy a new 1 but I'm really going to check everything over.

I watched a utube video on the 2016 explorer from town and country ford in Alabama. A man drives the new model around the country showing it to dealers. As he was showing it he said there were 2 flaws on it. A dent in the roof and a FINGER PRINT ON THE PASS SIDE HEAD LIGHT. SOUND FAMILIAR?
I'm still going to buy a new 1 but I'm really going to check everything over.

That is a pre production vehicle and not built to the same standards as the production version. That is the reason those cars are crushed so no liability to the manufacturer.

Yeah, the 2016 Ford Explorer was upgraded and refined a lot! New front grille and headlights, interior with nice materials and all the stuff)))
Would you buy Ford Explorer 2016, if you don't have one yet?

By the way, I liked the review here

Yeah, the 2016 Ford Explorer was upgraded and refined a lot! New front grille and headlights, interior with nice materials and all the stuff)))
Would you buy Ford Explorer 2016, if you don't have one yet?

By the way, I liked the review here

I almost bought a Platinum but I am waiting for a redesign.

Might be waiting a few years....
All this anti-MFT is amazing, it's a solid system but makes think in this way "Are "you" buying a vehicle for the touch screen or for the vehicle?" (just my .02)

All this anti-MFT is amazing, it's a solid system but makes think in this way "Are "you" buying a vehicle for the touch screen or for the vehicle?" (just my .02)

A valid question. I'm not familiar with either system and wrestling with the 16 vs 17 option.

I don't know why it is maligned. It's four, neatly divided quadrants on a nice big screen. All of the touch buttons are easy to figure out and the menus are straightforward. And there's a Home button to get back to the beginning no matter what screen you're on.

I'm not the most tech savy guy, and I figured it out without looking up in the manual! I've seen worse on other cars (Highlander, older Pilot) and they didn't get all the bad press that MFT got.

I have to say our 2016 with MFT has been great.

now I assume at this point there have been software updates that kick in and fix issue here and there. All of which are probably already incorporated in ours.

but it works well, well laid out, and I don't need to be playing with apps on my phone in the center section of the car while it is moving.

or any other crap like that.

stream audio from ________ to headunit. check, works with google music, spotify, and the jet audio I use on my phone and Itunes crap on her phone.
Pick up BT calls. Check
control from steering wheel as needed. check

what exactly extra is it supposed to do?

I had the 2012 Explorer with MFT & I'm "happy" to have it in the 2016. I like being able to see information about all 4 things on one screen. It works the vast majority of the time though there are definitely still quirks. Now, they need to allow more customization on the dash screen.

Just to be clear you understand the redesign is now confirmed not till 2019 or 2020 right?

I (and others here) confirmed with insiders not 3rd party hearsay off the internet.

Just didnt want you waiting too long since you have an 11MY.

Im going with 17 because Sync3 is a dealbreaker for me, MFT has been solid but I want the added comfort of future proofing for the next 3 years.

I like the 3 yr lease plan.

Just to be clear you understand the redesign is now confirmed not till 2019 or 2020 right?

I (and others here) confirmed with insiders not 3rd party hearsay off the internet.

Just didnt want you waiting too long since you have an 11MY.

Im going with 17 because Sync3 is a dealbreaker for me, MFT has been solid but I want the added comfort of future proofing for the next 3 years.

I like the 3 yr lease plan.

I really like the redesign of the Explorer, especially the LED headlights and that Platinum but the interior is just too similar to me to make the upgrade. It'd just be driving a fancier version of what I have now. The 2nd row space and legroom seems smaller compared to the Fusion. That, and the PTU being the limiting factor. I see the MKX has a 2.7L Ecoboost V6 with 335 HP and 380 lb-ft of torque so hoping the redesigned Explorer will come with even more power and towing.

I own my Explorer all the way so I should drive it until it dies anyway. Right now, I am happy with doing small upgrades here and there like brakes, LED lights, etc. Makes my car feel a bit newer to me every time so it helps my urge to buy right now lol.

I have 50,000 miles on my car now after 5 years. Most of it has been accumulated in 2015 where I went on a road trip to Florida twice, the first being at 28K miles so by 5 years time, I'll probably be at the 100K or 150K mark. I just hope my Explorer makes it that far seeing as I abuse it daily with WOT, towing people's cars with a tow dolly, and constantly packing 7 people in it while doing such things.

X2

I have had the MFT in the passed 2 vehicles I have had, and wondered what all the negative pub was about. Although I understand the system was temperamental at first, with the updates and patches, this, to me, is one of the better systems out there. Yet everywhere you read in the media car mags, bashes it. Another case of the sheeple not thinking for themselves?

I think Sync3 looks cheap and too much like the other watered down systems. I am glad I could get MFT in my '16 Sport.

I have had MFT in 4 vehicles now (2013 Fusion Titanium, 2013 Escape SEL, 2015 F150KR and of course the 2016 Exp) and I have never had issues with it. Works pretty good compared to others I have used. if there was any gripe for me it is the size of the buttons. With so much room on the screen, it would be nice if you could re-size the buttons on some of the screens. I think that is a small issue that does not warrant all of the criticism it has received.

On a side note, I really like the amount of room the vehicle provides and the comfort it gives. I've owned BMW's and Mercedes; and this vehicle is on par with those. I think that is very telling. Quality of materials are much improved over prior models. It's unfortunate that many will not see or drive the Platinum model due to it's high cost. It really is a step above the other models. Many have said that it is a mix of the "Limited" and the "Sport", however I think it is a step above that.

Ford finally has an SUV that can walk along side the German rivals. That is great news!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

X2

I have had the MFT in the passed 2 vehicles I have had, and wondered what all the negative pub was about. Although I understand the system was temperamental at first, with the updates and patches, this, to me, is one of the better systems out there. Yet everywhere you read in the media car mags, bashes it. Another case of the sheeple not thinking for themselves?

I think Sync3 looks cheap and too much like the other watered down systems. I am glad I could get MFT in my '16 Sport.

Your points are very valid I think the people who had to suffer through the early stages of MFT are a little more fixated on Sync3 simply because it's closer to what was promised back in 2011.

If you were an iPhone user in 2011-13 you had an even worse time using MFT. It leaves the vehicle owner frustrated and craving what was promised.

So if your only taste of MFT is the 2015/16 version then your only seeing and using the best versions with little or no issues, and that's good. But you dont hold the grudge some of us do from 2011.

Childish?...yes maybe but its the truth.

MFT/Sync3 isn't the only update for 2017, the order guide is out soon so there will be other published reasons.

There also many unpublished changes we dont hear about publicly, say for example the seat maker Lear, changes their supplier of leather because the 16MY had complaints about leather issues. We as buyers wouldnt know the seat leather was upgraded due to a supplier change.

Same with many parts of vehicle.

Possibly a redesigned PTU will be out but that wont make the 17 Order Guide.

LED Fogs may become standard, not an option.

Back