• Register Today It's free!

Got a few questions, help!!!

Sandman444

Reaction score
City, State
Denver colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Ford Explorer
So I've got a few questions about my 2008 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer edition, has the v6 and about 100,000 miles.

First this thing leaks coolent like a sive, there's a pool on the top of the engine so I'm guessing it's the known to fail intake manifold, how hard is it to replace in my driveway???

Next if I wiggle the key the interior lights come on and the seat resets itself, I've heard it's a switch in the ignition, is this a hard fix?

Next the interior lights don't work at all unless I flip the switch to turn all lights on. Could this have something to do with the ignition? As well as the keyless start dosnt work, gives me six beeps. Could these all be connected?

The tranny isn't doing good, dosnt feel like it's slipping but really hesitates going going into gear down shifting and up shifting, sometimes under high rpm but sometimes not. Is the tranny toast or could it be something like a shift solenoid?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

if its the t-stat housing then its a 20 minute job,.... its the most common part to fail causing leaks

So I've got a few questions about my 2008 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer edition, has the v6 and about 100,000 miles.

First this thing leaks coolent like a sive, there's a pool on the top of the engine so I'm guessing it's the known to fail intake manifold, how hard is it to replace in my driveway??? i agree with the prior post, and no you dont have to replace the entire intake manifold, just the tstat housing.

Next if I wiggle the key the interior lights come on and the seat resets itself, I've heard it's a switch in the ignition, is this a hard fix?

Its a 15 minute fix as well - i replaced my 08 with this switch http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009TKSWLQ?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

Next the interior lights don't work at all unless I flip the switch to turn all lights on. Could this have something to do with the ignition? As well as the keyless start dosnt work, gives me six beeps. Could these all be connected?

The tranny isn't doing good, dosnt feel like it's slipping but really hesitates going going into gear down shifting and up shifting, sometimes under high rpm but sometimes not. Is the tranny toast or could it be something like a shift solenoid?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!

You don't need to touch the intake manifold. its plastic and has no coolant in it anyway. the thermostat housing is that plastic thing the upper rad hose connects to. When it leaks it runs back into the valley and pools. A dorman one will run you around 30 bucks on amazon and it takes about 20 minutes to replace 3 bolts and a jug of premix rad fluid. I would recommend changing the thermostat with it, but that's just me. Keep an eye on the rad to, the plastic tanks like to separate from the metal rad and leak too.

Trans is toast
Been there and it sucks ass

For the tranny, try a fluid and filter change. Sometimes thats all thats needed.

You don't need to touch the intake manifold. its plastic and has no coolant in it anyway. the thermostat housing is that plastic thing the upper rad hose connects to. When it leaks it runs back into the valley and pools. A dorman one will run you around 30 bucks on amazon and it takes about 20 minutes to replace 3 bolts and a jug of premix rad fluid. I would recommend changing the thermostat with it, but that's just me. Keep an eye on the rad to, the plastic tanks like to separate from the metal rad and leak too.

Some T-stat housings come with a T-stat installed. And like everyone is saying, its a no-brainer fix. 20 mins, tops. The hardest part will be getting the hoses back on, especially that little *******.

Be easy with the torque during install. Since its plastic, you can deform it very easily, so torque each bolt a little a time.

Back