Radiator fan bearing noise 2016 Models | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Radiator fan bearing noise 2016 Models

Third try

Dropped off the Explorer for the third time so I hope this fan is the one that fixes it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

so is this affecting base model and limited model explorers.

or should I say

all other 3.5 Ti-VCT motor equipped devices regardless of trim level?

fan noise

Hi yall. I just took my 2016 explorer sport to dealer for this issue. It is squeaking when the fan is not spinning. So they think it was the belt. They replaced the belt and it seemed fine. But now that im home, i let it sit for awhile and started it up. Im starting to hear little squeaks again. Looks like i will be returning to dealer tomorrow.

so is this affecting base model and limited model explorers.

or should I say

all other 3.5 Ti-VCT motor equipped devices regardless of trim level?

Mine is a 2016 XLT.
I would assumed it is the ones with same fan. Only Ford can trace it to the right part or lot number.

So it's back

The dealership called Ford tech line and was told to find a fan from another 2016 in stock; remove it and place it in mine assuming it isn't creating the noise. Well that didn't work and it will be back at the dealership first thing Monday morning. The dealership stated they will open another ticket with Ford tech line. This is the third fan replacement and now it is going in for a forth. At this point something has to be done because this is ridiculous.

The dealership called Ford tech line and was told to find a fan from another 2016 in stock; remove it and place it in mine assuming it isn't creating the noise. Well that didn't work and it will be back at the dealership first thing Monday morning. The dealership stated they will open another ticket with Ford tech line. This is the third fan replacement and now it is going in for a forth. At this point something has to be done because this is ridiculous.
Sounds like Ford received a shipment of bad fans. If so, a 4th may not solve the issue either. Keep your fingers crossed. Did the dealer actually replace yours with one from a stock Ex?

Peter

Sounds like Ford received a shipment of bad fans. If so, a 4th may not solve the issue either. Keep your fingers crossed. Did the dealer actually replace yours with one from a stock Ex?

Peter

Supposedly they did. I agree it does seem the fans are bad.

Just picked up my 2016 Sport 200 miles on the odometer and I can hear the fan squeaking after shutdown.

12744323_10102602753692861_2513187401258477418_n.jpg

Just picked up my 2016 Sport 200 miles on the odometer and I can hear the fan squeaking after shutdown.
Nice looking Sport. Now you may want to update your profile.:):thumbsup:

Peter

12744323_10102602753692861_2513187401258477418_n.jpg

nice color

interesting considering that should be a different fan assembly - due to the heat shield.

maybe it isn't.

now since this weekend was oil change weekend I took a little time to poke and listen.

Irony - after getting the car up, changing the oil, refil etc etc. start car - let it run while I reset the OLM. get out - can't hear a thing different.

back out of garage, let run, open hood, no squeak or squeal. turn off, with the door open.

nothing. nothing. TO be fair I'm slightly pissed. let the car cool a bit. got my hand in there and free spin the fan.

Now you can feel the motor just a bit - IE little bit of resistance. but it spun OK as far as I'm aware. no noise.

so I'm not saying I fixed it. Ours is still OE from factory I've not taken it in and I won't take it in until there is a real issue. (since I can't hear it driving, or etc).

but yesterday - it didn't make peep one. just putting it out there.

now since this weekend was oil change weekend I took a little time to poke and listen.

Irony - after getting the car up, changing the oil, refil etc etc. start car - let it run while I reset the OLM. get out - can't hear a thing different.

back out of garage, let run, open hood, no squeak or squeal. turn off, with the door open.

nothing. nothing. TO be fair I'm slightly pissed. let the car cool a bit. got my hand in there and free spin the fan.

Now you can feel the motor just a bit - IE little bit of resistance. but it spun OK as far as I'm aware. no noise.

so I'm not saying I fixed it. Ours is still OE from factory I've not taken it in and I won't take it in until there is a real issue. (since I can't hear it driving, or etc).

but yesterday - it didn't make peep one. just putting it out there.

Mine seemed to be very pronounced after a long trip (Drove about 160 miles down the interstate). I shut the car off and when I got out the fan was still spinning cooling everything down from the trip and when the fan was coming to a stop it started to squeal.

I have driven it around town for a little while and come home and shut it off before and have heard nothing.

Mine seemed to be very pronounced after a long trip (Drove about 160 miles down the interstate). I shut the car off and when I got out the fan was still spinning cooling everything down from the trip and when the fan was coming to a stop it started to squeal.

I have driven it around town for a little while and come home and shut it off before and have heard nothing.

Lovely, I'm planning 1400 mile trip from Toronto to Texas and back this March break to visit my son. Hoping this car will hold up :wtf:

Lovely, I'm planning 1400 mile trip from Toronto to Texas and back this March break to visit my son. Hoping this car will hold up :wtf:

we did 780 to Ohio one way and 840 the return - narry an issue.

I would say if your car isn't over heating and it runs fine - it's probably fine.

If you can hear something at a stop light - you might should get it checked.

we did 780 to Ohio one way and 840 the return - narry an issue.

I would say if your car isn't over heating and it runs fine - it's probably fine.

If you can hear something at a stop light - you might should get it checked.

Well a good road trip while it's under warranty can't hurt either.

Yeah that's my take on it too...I just let it be ...hasn't caused any issues and ill monitor over the course of time..

sort of where my head was at too.

I bought vs lease because I intend to ride this beast into the ground.

My wife drives the 15' limited AWD, and today when arriving I hear the same as described in this forum: squealing noise from the fan(s), when they come to stop after powering of the engine. I have been experimenting a bit this evening, when the fan(s) are at speed they sound normal, but when they come to almost a full stop, it makes a loud squealing sound, just like how a bad or dry running bearing sounds.

Could this be a single incident, or related to the same problems as on the 16' models faced with forums members? Are the fan(s) on the 15' model the same as on the 16' model?

We got the Middle East spec here, which apparently has a factory upgraded cooling system specific for hot climates (not sure if there is in reality any difference other than different thermostat programming).

Milage is about 7000 miles

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The noise is intermittent, but is clearly there and no way it can magically correct itself (as stated previously, it's going to eventually seize).
All we can do is make sure it's on record with the dealership and get it swapped out as needed.

Back