2016 Ford Explorer vs Jeep Grand Cherokee | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2016 Ford Explorer vs Jeep Grand Cherokee

Get the Grand Cherokee with the Hemi or EcoDiesel. It comes with the german ZF transmission, it is possibly the smoothest transmission ever. Also the interior finish and quality is better than on the explorer. If you take your vehicles off road, the Jeep is way more capable. Ford is a front wheel drive vehicle, it drives nice and smooth, but it will never drive like a rear wheel drive vehicle. We have a 2014 Grand Cherokee Ecodiesel and a 2013 Explorer limited but if I could I would trade in the Explorer for the grand cherokee. People will tell you ford is more reliable but in my case thats not true. PTU has been leaking since 30k miles and it needs to replaced soon, for some reason transmission mount was replaced twice already, and the radiator fan once. Oh and the aluminum hood has rust spots all over it. I just lost faith in my explorer.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My 2014 Cherokee had a ZF nine speed in it. It had all kinds of rough shifting problems and was at the dealer many times. See my previous post. The ZF nine speed transmission was causing numerous issues for some Cherokee owners. Transmissions were being replaced on some vehicles with only a few hundred miles on them and then sometimes the owners had the same issues with the replacement transmissions. Do an online search for Jeep Cherokee nine speed transmission problems. Of course the Grand Cherokee is a different vehicle and as far as I know, they don't have the nine speed transmission. I believe they have an eight speed in them. Good luck with whatever you buy.

In 15’ we also compared the Durango Hemi , Jeep Summit Hemi and Explorer Sport.
Ruled out Durango almost immediately – cheap looking interior, soft (mushy ride) and even with the Hemi it seemed sluggish. To set the stage we like FCA vehicles having recently purchased a 14’ Wrangler and 14’ Journey.

Summit:
(+) best interior finishes; 8 speed transmission is unmatched; variable suspension; better 4WD setup; heated 2nd row seats, Xenon headlights; adaptive headlights (turn with steering); HK 19 speaker stereo, full size spare; large gas tank (compared to Sport)
(-) more expensive than Sport; I’ve read too many reports of uncomfortable seating for long rides; no third row, 3” less shoulder room compared to Sport; Sport suspension dialed in for road handling; Jeep dealer(s) that would not deal on the Summit – we buy our vehicles so a decent trade in is part of the deal and FCA wasn’t even close to Ford.

I could have gone either way but this was my wife’s decision and she wanted a 3rd row, thought the Sport looked better, and we felt the interior was far roomier.

The Sport has been perfect in every way - no issues - sticks to the road and the twin turbo gives it some guts. IMHO - With heavy vehicles like the Sport and Summit, 340+ HP is just OK.. these guys need 450+ HP & TQ to put a smile on your face. The Jeep SRT fits the bill but the premium is too greedy for me.

I traded a 2014 JGC for a 2016 EX Platinum. Got tired of the electronic gear shift. Had the trans flashed 5 or 6 times. The EX pulls my trailer better. Not as good of gas mileage tho. I liked the JGC looks and ride. Hated the shifter.

I just went through this same dilemma. For me it came down to which truck I think I would miss more if I went with the other. I knew I would miss the engine of the ex sport and possibly the 7 passenger. The only pluses I could find for the jeep were the interior and price. Explorer will be more reliable and the Ecoboost can always put a smile on your face if you start to second guess your decision.

I' will also 2nd the electronic gear shift. It was awkward during the couple test drives I went on.

Fentress, do you have a 2016 EX?

Fentress, do you have a 2016 EX?

Just bought a 2016 ex sport today. Waiting for it to be delivered. Doing a dealer trade to get the magnetic metallic

The Jeep transmission troubles you guys are reading about are happening with the 9-speed unit in the smaller Cherokee, not the 8-speed unit in the Grand Cherokee, which is a ZF 8HP40 transmission in very heavy OEM use across many car lines, including BMW and Audi. I have a 5 series BMW with the same transmission, and it is truly a high point in the character of that car.

I'm also in the market for a new SUV and the decision is almost certainly reduced to a JGC High Altitude and an Explorer Sport. Difficult; both cars have distinct advantages over one another. Here's my thinking:

In favor of the Grand Cherokee:
  • Looks a little more svelte, to my eyes.
  • Interior is classier
  • Hemi engine is low-tech and probably cheaper to service down the line
  • UConnect system is much better than MyFordSync. Why hasn't Ford put Sync 3 in the Explorer yet?
  • H-K Audio upgrade is outstanding
  • Better visibility from the drivers seat
  • More engaging to drive than the Explorer

In favor of the Explorer Sport:
  • Substantially larger cargo space
  • 3rd row seat
  • Faster, and turbo engine has advantages at my altitude
  • 2nd row captain's chairs
  • A few thousand cheaper than the JGC

The biggest bummer about the Jeep is that it really has less room than you might think - the sexy shape carries a cargo cost. Space-wise, the JGC and the Ford Edge are actually very close to one another.

The biggest bummer about the Explorer is that it drives much larger than it is (though I have not yet driven a Sport) and you sit way down inside of it.

Dodge went a bit too far with the styling on the Durango to my eyes; it would have been a good compromise if it were a little less ostentatious.

The JGC and Explorer Sport come down pretty close to a wash. For me, it may come down to the better deal. Both are good choices.

Below would sum it up for me. I've considered the Acadia as well.

I'm just waiting on the right time, but based on my research and testing, I'm waiting on the 2017 Sport. This is coming from a guys that loves HEMIs and Jeeps too. For what it's worth.

Good luck!!!

In 15’ we also compared the Durango Hemi , Jeep Summit Hemi and Explorer Sport.
Ruled out Durango almost immediately – cheap looking interior, soft (mushy ride) and even with the Hemi it seemed sluggish. To set the stage we like FCA vehicles having recently purchased a 14’ Wrangler and 14’ Journey.

Summit:
(+) best interior finishes; 8 speed transmission is unmatched; variable suspension; better 4WD setup; heated 2nd row seats, Xenon headlights; adaptive headlights (turn with steering); HK 19 speaker stereo, full size spare; large gas tank (compared to Sport)
(-) more expensive than Sport; I’ve read too many reports of uncomfortable seating for long rides; no third row, 3” less shoulder room compared to Sport; Sport suspension dialed in for road handling; Jeep dealer(s) that would not deal on the Summit – we buy our vehicles so a decent trade in is part of the deal and FCA wasn’t even close to Ford.

I could have gone either way but this was my wife’s decision and she wanted a 3rd row, thought the Sport looked better, and we felt the interior was far roomier.

The Sport has been perfect in every way - no issues - sticks to the road and the twin turbo gives it some guts. IMHO - With heavy vehicles like the Sport and Summit, 340+ HP is just OK.. these guys need 450+ HP & TQ to put a smile on your face. The Jeep SRT fits the bill but the premium is too greedy for me.

Below would sum it up for me. I've considered the Acadia as well.

I'm just waiting on the right time, but based on my research and testing, I'm waiting on the 2017 Sport. This is coming from a guys that loves HEMIs and Jeeps too. For what it's worth.

Good luck!!!
There's a new Acadia in 2017. It's a looker. But I hate to buy a vehicle in its first year of production, and they still refuse to put a powerful engine in it. The 300HP V6 is the best you can do. It is light, though.

I imagine Ford will put Sync 3 in the 2017 Sport, which removes one of my objections. I kind of like the JGC better, but it seems like the Sport would be the better decision.

There's a new Acadia in 2017. It's a looker. But I hate to buy a vehicle in its first year of production, and they still refuse to put a powerful engine in it. The 300HP V6 is the best you can do. It is light, though.

I imagine Ford will put Sync 3 in the 2017 Sport, which removes one of my objections. I kind of like the JGC better, but it seems like the Sport would be the better decision.

Plus you can tune the Sport and bump up the power to 425hp and 430lb-ft at the crank. :)

I'd like to throw on some lowering springs and wider rims w/ performance summer tires too.

Plus you can tune the Sport and bump up the power to 425hp and 430lb-ft at the crank. :)

I'd like to throw on some lowering springs and wider rims w/ performance summer tires too.
There is the tuneability thing. People do that all day long on the BMW forums, but I admit I've been a little scared of it. Plus, the N55 engine in my 535 is plenty fast for that chassis. BMW really laid an egg on driving dynamics with that car. To be honest, I'm reading this forum right now and looking hard at another Explorer (I have an '04) because of how excellent my 5 series isn't.

I traded a 2014 JGC for a 2016 EX Platinum. Got tired of the electronic gear shift. Had the trans flashed 5 or 6 times. The EX pulls my trailer better. Not as good of gas mileage tho. I liked the JGC looks and ride. Hated the shifter.
They have gone back to a traditional shifter for 2016, so you must not be the only one.

I was told the shifter was still electronic

Had the explorer for a couple months now. I am still happy with the decision to pick the Explorer over the JGC. I was looking at the Overland so they came out to about the same price, Jeep may have been a little cheaper.

Things I noted that the Jeep did better when test driving:
-Sound System: was really no comparison
-Comfort(driver) back seats felt small. Explorer not much better
-Off Road Capability

Thoughts now:
-Explorer is very comfortable. We took friends on a trip to Richmond and they were very comfortable in the back.
-I do wish the sound system was better in the explorer. It is good enough for now.
-I will never use the off road capabilities to the fullest extent, so who cares...
-I actually like the Sync system. I have used the voice controlled NAV and I use the voice control to make phone calls. Very easy.

While they both are great looking trucks, I prefer the looks of the Explorer Sport. I love the 3.5L Ecoboost and when I get bored I'll order a tune. I hated the 8 speed auto in the Jeep. It was shifting all over the place during my 2 test drives.

Engine was probably the biggest decision maker in my mind.

After like 2 months of research I'm now back to the Ford Explorer Sport over the JGC. Researching the JGC has been maddening btw.

Must Haves

1. Power, lots of it and not crippled by traction control. I loath gutless vehicles.

2. Lower ride height and less jarring than my current 2014 Ram 1500 4x4. Due to my hip going bad, I'll need artificial hip surgery one day.

3. 4WD/AWD capable of handling your typical beat up pot holed national forest road, ice, and snow.

4. Headlights that do not suck, our deer have a high rate of suicide.

2016 Explorer Sport Pro's - Surprisingly fast off the line through mid range. It was rush hour traffic when I test drove it so TBD if it keeps pulling that hard up to freeway speeds. Perfect height I was able to get in/out easily with my bad hip. Interior was as expected, on par with my 2013 F150 which was decked out in leather and pretty nice. Exterior styling suits me its a good looking rig except for the wheels.

2016 Explorer Sport Con's - What in the freaking hell was Ford thinking going back to a halogen bulb for the high beams. (insert meltdown) I still HATE the left handed cruise control buttons same as my F150. I have zero use for a 3rd row seat. I find the wheels to be butt ugly.

2016 JGC Pro's - The Explorer Sport is quicker but the JGC hemi with the 8 speed transmission is acceptable. I love that transmission on my Ram 1500 Hemi. JGC has a class 4 hitch vs a class 3 on the Explorer. JGC has more off road chops than the Explorer. Interior is okay. Radio reception TBD it sucks on my 2014 Ram 1500. HID headlights and LED fog lights, running and tail lights check!!

2016 JGC Con's - Trying to option a JGC is maddening. I didn't need a single Summit option so I dropped back to the Overland, hemi, quadra drive II. But the more I read about issues with the quadra lift air suspension the more I wanted nothing to do with it. So I dropped back to the Limited. In 2015 you could get a limited with the hemi, quadra drive 1, trailer tow package with load leveling shocks and the luxery II package which was about perfect. I'm not sure the ride height would have worked for me but that's how I would have optioned one. But in 2016 quadra drive 1 is gone, now you have to get the quadra drive II which comes only with the quadra lift air suspension.

Additionally the JGC is a Chrysler product. I have owned a 2010 Ram 1500 4x4 Hemi and a 2014 Ram 1500 4x4 hemi, there's a reason I can purchase a similarly optioned Ram 1500 for $16,000 less than a Ford F150. Chrysler will also try leave you holding the bag on manufacturing defects throwing a bandaid fix on a vehicle hoping it will hold together until the warranty runs out, ask me how I know this. :mad: Don't get me wrong at least in the trucks there is a value proposition there, so the Ram 1500 doesn't have the quality of the F150 but its $16k less right. Not so on the JGC though they are priced pretty much same as the Explorer.

It seems 2015 was the model year to buy for both the JGC and the Explorer Sport. You would have got the HID headlights on the Explorer and could have optioned the JGC without the air suspension.

The Explorer Sport is again my top choice at the moment mostly because I found out there is a LED replacement bulb available for the halogen high beam headlight, that was a game changer. I really didn't want to buy another Chrysler product but was hung up on the Explorer halogen bulb issue.

2016 Audi SQ5? - A beautiful vehicle, enough style to be good looking yet bland enough to be a sleeper. You want to keep a low profile because the supercharged V6 that will do 0-60 in 5.1 seconds. Performance wise its pretty cool, less the stupid 21 inch wheels with summer only tires. I'd have to transform it to something more like a rally vehicle. Unfortunately the interior is cramped and dated. A $62k SUV that doesn't have a USB charging port??

Coolidge. My fiance hated the wheels on the JGC. I wasn't crazy about either, but I preferred the Explorer wheels over the JGC.

Explorer pulls really hard. I feel like it really finds its sweet spot in the middle of 2nd gear. I was crusing at 60 on the (closed) highway the other day and stomped on it just to see how it would pull at the higher end. I was at 100 very quickly and still climbing fast.

I have the 401A package with LED Fog lights and I rarely use my high beams to be honest. I plan to switch to an LED high beam bulb eventually, but it hasn't been an issue yet. The low beams are some of the best I have seen.

SQ5 is beautiful, but it is priced in a different league.

I don't really think you can go wrong with either truck (JGC or Explorer Sport). It came down to engine and the fact that Explorer Sports are rare compared to the JGC's around here. Plus I thought about future and aftermarket support if I get bored. The Explorer has upgrades for serious power pretty cheap. A $500 tune can turn it into a whole new beast. With the JGC there aren't many power options to play with if you get bored. Their aftermarket support is geared more towards off-road.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I test drove an Explorer Platinum this evening...

Quilted Black Leather Interior - this platinum was the first unit the dealer has received with the new black quilted leather. It was very nice, not sure how I feel about the whole dash covered in leather. The seats were quite comfortable.

Headlights/Fog Lights - This was the potential deal breaker, I have decided they don't suck so bad that it would keep me from purchasing an Explorer. The LED low beam by itself was inferior to my 2013 F150 HID's but not bad. Coupled with the LED fog lights I'd have to say it bested the HID/Fog as those fogs were not that great. As expected the yellowish halogen high beams were an epic fail in comparison to the HID's, the LED low beam help some. But since there is an LED replacement bulb for this halogen I wouldn't let the headlights keep me from purchasing.

Power - So wow a completely different experience Sport vs Platinum. The Sport I test drove a couple weeks ago seemed like a hot rod off the line, lots of torque, very responsive throttle if anything I had to take it a bit easy. This Platinum seemed well gutless, even when stomping the gas to the floor.

Size - Someone said the Explorer drove like a big vehicle, I have to agree its a bit like driving a minivan to be honest. There's a lot of room to the left of the drivers door which I think contributes to this, its just the way they designed the door.

Seat/Wheel/Pedals/Legroom - I don't think any size driver will be disappointed, the seat adjusts way back, the pedals adjust and the steering wheel telescopes a mile just about anyone should be able to find a comfortable setup. I liked that everything moved out of my way when I opened the door to get out.

HAL 9000 - The platinum is loaded with the computer controlled braking warning vibrating steering crap like some Boeing 747. Some of it can be turned off, some of it only dialed back. Pretty much hated it all.

I don't see myself in a platinum given the lack of power. I asked the sales person if the thing had a sport mode or something and they said no.

Plus while sitting in the vehicle checking out the various instrument cluster options the car shut itself off. I was told its designed to do this if you idle too long, the hell with that. Perfect example of my hatred for this computer controlled nonsense I'll shut the car off when I feel it needs to be shut off thank you.

Back