Can you add a heated steering wheel? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Can you add a heated steering wheel?

RckyMtn

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Explorer Limited
I really like my Explorer but was disappointed with no heated steering wheel when I bought my 2012 Limited and even more so when a couple of months later it showed up on the 2013. It's something that I really would like to add. Was wondering if I could swap out for a 2013 heated steering wheel, and if so, how would I get MFT to show the icon and would it actually work?

http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/P...earch=true&year=2013&make=Ford&model=Explorer

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah I doubt it because even if you replaced the wheel and managed to wire it, you wouldn't be able to turn it on without MFT being forced to 2013. Also I think the remote start may utilize it too.

Adding heated steering wheel to 2011 ex

This might be the dumbest question on this forum but I guess it doesn't hurt to ask. Does anyone know if it would be possible to add the heated steering wheel to a 2011 ex limited? How are you guys that have the heated steering wheel controlling it [on MFT screen, a physical button etc...]. I know it would cost a lots of $ [if it was even possible] but I was just wondering.

Theres a post on this topic already with the parts broken down. Nothing is impossible with lots $$$$ but the reality is the cost to retrofit would likely be more then upgrading your entire vehicle model.

The heated wheel came out in 2013MY as well it came with a completely new power adjustable steering column.

The vehicles wiring harness is different, as well the firmware/software for these options as the heated wheel is bundled with a few more technology options.

The control is only through an icon in the HVAC screen of My Ford Touch.

Can you swap out 2013 Explorer Sport steering wheel with Heated Steering wheel??

I know its been asked about a 2011 Explorer swapping out the steering wheel with a OEM heated one. Can it be done with the 2013 Explorer Sport and work?

I imagine you could physically switch out the steering wheels, but the heat control is through MyFord Touch, so it would also take a software version change, which is usually the sticky wicket in these scenarios. My guess is that you probably wouldn't be able to get the proper firmware uploaded at the dealer. But... you could always ask your dealer's service dude or dudette if it is a possibility.

Or save yourself the money and get one of those heated steering wheel covers that plug into your cigarette lighter.

Or save yourself the money and get one of those heated steering wheel covers that plug into your cigarette lighter.

lol

Well, I'm trying to get rid of my 11. The Sport is nice, but due to it not having all the necessary add ons I want, I'm now looking a different brands. The Jeep GC Overland 2013 has everything I want. Going to test drive one on Friday.

drove it and did not like.. funniest thing is they claim it rides like a Mercedes...nope
The Durango was a bit better

Well, I'm trying to get rid of my 11. The Sport is nice, but due to it not having all the necessary add ons I want, I'm now looking a different brands. The Jeep GC Overland 2013 has everything I want. Going to test drive one on Friday.

The Jeep GC is all new inside and out for 2014 why would you buy a 2013.

2014's are out this summer

Check out sites like LeftLaneNews for more info

The Jeep GC is all new inside and out for 2014 why would you buy a 2013.

2014's are out this summer

Check out sites like LeftLaneNews for more info

Thanks. Didn't know that.

Funny thing for me is I'm coming from a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland with the HEMI. Its nice but after a while you start to get annoyed about things including the constant engine noise under medium acceleration.

no 3rd row killed me with the Cherokees, or I would've gotten one.

no 3rd row killed me with the Cherokees, or I would've gotten one.

Me too, otherwise I would have gone with the 2014 update Jeep GC

Me too, otherwise I would have gone with the 2014 update Jeep GC

It was hard to pass up those Overlands, let me tell you.

But the first time I mashed my Sport's throttle, that all went away...:D

Sorry to resurrect an old thread here, but does anyone have a link to the post with the parts list mentioned by Sgt1411 mentioned above? I've tried searching but haven't found it.

Thanks Peter,

I've seen that thread too, but I don't see a parts list in it, nor do I see a link to another thread/page that has a parts list.

Trust me, I've tried searching and I've read just about every thread that comes up with "steering wheel" in it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks Peter,

I've seen that thread too, but I don't see a parts list in it, nor do I see a link to another thread/page that has a parts list.

Trust me, I've tried searching and I've read just about every thread that comes up with "steering wheel" in it.
The 2 threads have now been merged.

Other than following the link in the 1st post to fordparts.com, I also have not been able to find any parts list. I think it would be almost impossible to make this change since for the reasons stated in post 4. The only control for the feature is by way of touch buttons, which you would not have, on the MFT. I think that this would be challenging project for someone to attempt.

Peter

Back