No Key Detected | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

No Key Detected

My 2015 Explorer Limited has done the same thing a couple of times recently. It hasn't failed to start yet, but after starting I will get the "no key detected" light. I've noticed lately also than sometimes I can't unlock the doors by touching the handle, and at times I will have to hit the unlock button on the fob several times before the doors will unlock. My vehicle has just less than 10,000 miles. I figured this would be one of those "never ending" things??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My 2015 Explorer Limited has done the same thing a couple of times recently. It hasn't failed to start yet, but after starting I will get the "no key detected" light. I've noticed lately also than sometimes I can't unlock the doors by touching the handle, and at times I will have to hit the unlock button on the fob several times before the doors will unlock. My vehicle has just less than 10,000 miles. I figured this would be one of those "never ending" things??

Im sure you have already done this but I will throw it out there anyway... Have you changed the battery in your key fob?

Just changed the battery in both our keys last week when the wife said she was having problems. Problem solved for us anyway . 5 years for a battery is pretty darn good!

Im sure you have already done this but I will throw it out there anyway... Have you changed the battery in your key fob?

Just bought new batteries to try today. Hasn't been acting up today though. I'll probably install the new battery anyway.

Yesterday I got into the 2013 Limited and started up. Backed out and got about 40 yards from the house and the NO KEY DETECTED message displayed on the Left Screen. The key was in my pocket where it always is.

My question is this an early warning that the battery in the FOB is able to die? I'm probably going to go ahead and change it in both this weekend but I just got to wondering.

Yesterday I got into the 2013 Limited and started up. Backed out and got about 40 yards from the house and the NO KEY DETECTED message displayed on the Left Screen. The key was in my pocket where it always is.

My question is this an early warning that the battery in the FOB is able to die? I'm probably going to go ahead and change it in both this weekend but I just got to wondering.

I would like to know as well, I thought it was buggy software. I get that too.

It's a little off topic, but the 'hard' key is one of the reasons I got an '14 XLT instead of a Limited. I immediately went out and bought a couple of keys without the embedded 'clicker' to carry when I'm hunting or hiking. I didn't want to get back to the car after a long, hard day and find out my key had shorted out.

Change the fob battery, might try using the second fob to confirm this.

Using the Forum's 'Search' program I found this existing thread and merged yours with it.
I have had the same message come up a few times. I just press OK on the steering wheel and it goes away.

'Search' is your friend.

Peter

Well it's been almost 6 months since I changed the battery in the key fob and I haven't received any more warnings about "no key detected". Guess I'll consider it "fixed".

Hi All,

Own a 2013 Ford Explorer LTD (bought in 2012) that has approximately 43,000 kms.

Periodically, when I go to push button start the vehicle it says "no key detected" even though it is in my pocket/wife's purse/cup holders. So I click "OK" then try to start again and nothing happens.

The only way to start the vehicle (when the above happens) is via doing a Remote Start (holding hand out window and using Key Fob, then pressing the brake to "turn" it on.

Tried with both Key Fobs...same issue.

Has happened about three (3) times in the last month, I'd say.

Anyone experience this before? Solution? Since the vehicle is out of warranty, I am trying to see if there is a quick fix or someone else had this issue before bringing it to the dealership.

Could it be the batteries? Something with the APIM?

Weird IA key behavior, just as the title indicates. After replacing the key battery I was able to lock/unlock the doors, no remote start, no remote trunk opening.
When I tried to start the car it would not even acknowledge the key- the hazards would flash one time and then nothing else.
Eventually it started giving the "No Key Detected" message but the door un/locking became erratic.

Solution: the key fob was not completely reassembled, leaving a slightly larger gap at the end opposite the key ring. After fixing that gap everything works just fine.

Thought I would share since I could not find any reference to the problem.

-Randy

So, haven't even made a payment on my 2017 explorer yet and got a "no key detected" message. Tried everything I could think of and nothing worked. Had to have it towed. Of course it started right up for the dealer. Any one else experience this and can I just return my vehicle and get my money back!

I've got a 2013 Explorer with the IA key fob, and started getting the "no key detected" error message a few months ago. After rearranging my keys and trying again, it usually did start. But recently I've replaced the batteries in both of my fobs and now neither one of them work - won't lock, unlock, open the liftgate, etc. I took it to the local Ford dealership and they reprogrammed both my fobs, but they still don't work and they charged me the reprogramming fee anyway. Their diagnostic fee is so high that I've just been driving around with the fob in the emergency slot in the console.

Has anyone else experienced this? What did it take to fix it, Ford's expensive diagnostic fee?

I faced the same problem with our "15 Limited that we sold recently; we had the same message twice over a time span of 1 month; the car was a few months old that time. We changed the FOB batteries after the first event; that did not help. Even putting the key fob in the emergency slot would not help for us, car failed to start. After 20, 30 minutes the problem disappeared like it was never there. At the dealer they could not find any problem, but they mentioned they loaded the latest software as this could avoid it from happening again. But at the same time they also found that the car battery failed the standard battery test; voltage to low. They changed the battery, and since then we had no issues anymore. It is hard to say that the bad car battery was related, but I have been told that a bad battery can do strange things with electronics. Maybe worth to check.

I have been having issues with my drivers door not automatically unlocking when I grab the door handle. I have to unlock the door using the fob manually. Upon entering, and starting the car I usually see 'cannot detect key' on the display left of the wheel. Also lately I've had to push the start button numerous times before it would start.

This Thursday I've booked the car in to my dealer. I think the issue is the 'proximity sensor ' but will see what they turn up.

I've got a 2013 Explorer with the IA key fob, and started getting the "no key detected" error message a few months ago. After rearranging my keys and trying again, it usually did start. But recently I've replaced the batteries in both of my fobs and now neither one of them work - won't lock, unlock, open the liftgate, etc. I took it to the local Ford dealership and they reprogrammed both my fobs, but they still don't work and they charged me the reprogramming fee anyway. Their diagnostic fee is so high that I've just been driving around with the fob in the emergency slot in the console.

Has anyone else experienced this? What did it take to fix it, Ford's expensive diagnostic fee?

Do they take the diagnostic fee off the cost of the repair? Most dealers I've been to over the years have done that; they just don't want to diagnose a problem and then lose out on the repair, so they do this to get you to have the repair done there.

Just out of curiosity... is your cellphone/smart phone close to or in the same pocket as the key(s)?
I know if i wear certain shorts and keys/phone have to share a pocket the keys will not be detected outside or inside the vehicle.

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Your thread has been merged with this existing one found using the Forum's 'Search' feature.
I doubt that the keys would have lost their programming in the first place. Did you wipe off the grease that was on the batteries? If so, the Manual says not to do that as it is there for a purpose. Are the batteries in the correct position? Not upside down by chance? Strange both would have stopped working completely when you changed the batteries. I think that would be the first thing to check if all other functions ceased working as well at that time.
Also, please complete your registration by adding the trim level (Base, XLT, etc.) as requested in the form. Thanks.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do they take the diagnostic fee off the cost of the repair? Most dealers I've been to over the years have done that; they just don't want to diagnose a problem and then lose out on the repair, so they do this to get you to have the repair done there.

They don't and I've checked with a few repair shops in town. It's apparently a common practice here to charge the diagnostic on top of the repair.

Back