Tire Pressure | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tire Pressure

boelteq

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer XLT
I have a 2013 Ford Explorer XLT, is it normal for the tire pressure warning to come on only at certain points? It usually happens at the same point in driving on the highway, or for longer than twenty minutes of driving, only when it is colder, then the warning doesn't come back all day. Only in the morning at a certain point when it is colder. I then put all wheels at the same psi and the same warning. Tire Pressure sensor fault. Could there be a larger issue or should it just be ignored as cold weather issue?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Certainly cold temps can trigger the TPMS and you should be setting tire PSI at "cold" to help prevent this and the larger "gain/loss" with temp changes. You may have another issue and if under warranty may want to check out with dealer.

My TPMS sensors act weird when it's really cold. I believe it's related to moisture in the air in the tires. I took my Cadillac to Costco and had them replace the air with nitrogen. It seems to have fixed the issue.

Remember, for every 10 degree change, you will get 1 PSI change. This is for dry air. Wet/moist air, these change is even greater. In the winter I run my tires a couple PSI higher (37ish) because, some weeks I'm in Chicago and it's 15-30 degrees. The next week I'm in northern Wisconsin or Minnesota and it's -5 outside. Protects against poor gas mileage too on super cold weeks.

My dealership, and Ford spec calls for 28 PSI. Which is just nuts. I put 40 in my Explorer tires and pretty much all my tires.

My dealership, and Ford spec calls for 28 PSI. Which is just nuts. I put 40 in my Explorer tires and pretty much all my tires.

Me too....40psi all day.....

Wait what? I thought they stopped doing that after the firestone incident for the old 2nd gen Explorer. The only time I've seen a door sticker with a 28 PSI recommendation was from my father's 2nd gen Explorer and we know how badly that went. Are you sure it wasn't 35 PSI?

My door sticker for my Explorer recommends 35 PSI all around. I put 40 because I carry lots of stuff in my car all the time and I heard putting more air in the tire gets you closer to the max load the tire can handle. Max pressure my tires can handle is 44 PSI on the OEM Michillen Latitudes.

Wait what? I thought they stopped doing that after the firestone incident for the old 2nd gen Explorer. The only time I've seen a door sticker with a 28 PSI recommendation was from my father's 2nd gen Explorer and we know how badly that went. Are you sure it wasn't 35 PSI?

My door sticker for my Explorer recommends 35 PSI all around. I put 40 because I carry lots of stuff in my car all the time and I heard putting more air in the tire gets you closer to the max load the tire can handle. Max pressure my tires can handle is 44 PSI on the OEM Michillen Latitudes.

This. Check your door sticker for psi information. I believe 5th gens are 35psi all the way around. You can also look at your manual which gives you a nice chart on how to adjust the psi based on ambient temperature.

It's 35psi. No doubt.

Back to the OP - are you getting a low tire pressure warning or a warning for the TPM system itself?

"Tire Pressure sensor fault" sounds like it's a problem with either the sensors in each wheel or the system itself. How many miles do you have on the Explorer? I suggest you take it in for warranty ASAP if it's still under the 3yr/36k.

It's at around 25,500. older than three years. Yes it's the tire sensor fault message. if this isn't fixed then the car won't alert you to tire pressure issues i guess. I'm not sure if I should get fixed or if it's not worth it. How often do people even change tire pressure. Seems like more work than it's worth sometimes. I also just noticed that whenever the car goes over bumps there is a noise like something is loose or something. Anybody else know what this is?

If the problem is with the system itself, you'll need to have it serviced. Refilling tires to spec will not solve your issue. Eventually, that warning light will move from being on intermittently to being on all the time until you get it serviced.

If you don't mind staring at that light whenever you drive and good about checking tire pressure manually on a regular basis, then you can probably do without it. With that said, some TPM systems are tied to other systems, i.e. traction control, abs, etc. I'm not sure if Ford does that though. Maybe others know and will chime in or you can call the dealer.

If it were me, I'd get it serviced if not only to turn that darned warning light off.

I have a 2013 Ford Explorer XLT, is it normal for the tire pressure warning to come on only at certain points? It usually happens at the same point in driving on the highway, or for longer than twenty minutes of driving, only when it is colder, then the warning doesn't come back all day. Only in the morning at a certain point when it is colder. I then put all wheels at the same psi and the same warning. Tire Pressure sensor fault. Could there be a larger issue or should it just be ignored as cold weather issue?
Does the warning come on when driving any other route. The TPMS system works on a frequency (315 Mhz) and I wonder if there is something interfering or broadcasting on the frequency in the area on that highway.

Peter

It usually comes around the same spot but I usually only drive a couple places and it has happened elsewhere when it is cooler. So I guess I will get it checked out to see if it is anything. I appreciate the help.

I'm getting the same thing/similar on a 2016 4WD XLT. It started very soon after I brought it home brand new and I put off going for warranty work because I assumed it would be a simply switch of the sensor or some easy/known issue that the dealer would swiftly repair. Of course, that last part hasn't happened.

I called the same service writer for the third time today after a second visit on this issue. He's flm flam all the way, promising they'll figure it out. He's trying to blame the tire now.

Same wheel, intermittent on off with the dash warning. Sometimes multiple times on and off in the same trip. Sometimes no warning for days or even a week. At one point I thought it was whenever I rolled down the window or hit the turn signal because it seemed to coincide with that activity all the time, but then some of the time it "just happnes" (of course those times it "just happens" could be the transmission shifting or some other electronic switch happening, so maybe my theory is correct about it being something electronically failing or short circuiting with another system).

I'm so disappointed in the service department's handling of all this. I've had some bad dealer service experience over the years but the place I'm taking my Explorer to for this really fails hard at exhibiting anything like confidence, professionalism, or product knowledge.

Maybe I'll get a set of warranty tires out of it before they figure out it's something in the system!? ;-)

I'm getting the same thing/similar on a 2016 4WD XLT. It started very soon after I brought it home brand new and I put off going for warranty work because I assumed it would be a simply switch of the sensor or some easy/known issue that the dealer would swiftly repair. Of course, that last part hasn't happened.

I called the same service writer for the third time today after a second visit on this issue. He's flm flam all the way, promising they'll figure it out. He's trying to blame the tire now.

Same wheel, intermittent on off with the dash warning. Sometimes multiple times on and off in the same trip. Sometimes no warning for days or even a week. At one point I thought it was whenever I rolled down the window or hit the turn signal because it seemed to coincide with that activity all the time, but then some of the time it "just happnes" (of course those times it "just happens" could be the transmission shifting or some other electronic switch happening, so maybe my theory is correct about it being something electronically failing or short circuiting with another system).

I'm so disappointed in the service department's handling of all this. I've had some bad dealer service experience over the years but the place I'm taking my Explorer to for this really fails hard at exhibiting anything like confidence, professionalism, or product knowledge.

Maybe I'll get a set of warranty tires out of it before they figure out it's something in the system!? ;-)
You can take it to another dealer if that is the case.
I suggest that you send a PM to FordService using this link;
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/private.php?do=newpm&u=157968
When you PM, be sure to include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership in your message.
Good luck.

Peter

Back