Keep or trade my 2004? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Keep or trade my 2004?

njlarry

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Bauer
Can't decide what to do!
Love my 04 Eddie Bauer but it has 224,000 miles with the 4.0 SOHC. Transmission was just replaced and the hubs which seem to be a wear items along with the timing chain tensioners need replacement.
Should I trade for a 2010 Eddie Bauer V-8 with 70-100K miles? Will I get much more reliability or more of the same? BTW, all the 2010s I have seen only have the manual heating/AC, did they stop offering the auto heat/AC in the gen 4s?
Thank you for any help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That is the last of the gen 4 models. The 3-valve V8/6speed combo is fantastic. Have you test-driven it yet? if it has the factory towing package (look for the 2" square receiver vs 1¼"), it's a good find, with 7000+ towing capacity. By 2009, several of the known issues (spark plugs, etc) had been taken care of. If the price is right on the trade, and you are considering towing/hauling anything now and then, this is a good find.

Then again, if you love the current truck, it seems to be serving you well. Always tough to take advice on this sort of decision.

i went from a '04 to '10 ST and a '10 Mounty. Everything said above i would agree with totally. With a lot of safety stuff added as well.
The '04 i still have is at 115k mi, ST at 90k, Mounty at 40k, All V8's and none of them have issues. My '04 had a Alum block, the '10 had cast iron, and the much better 6spd.

Mine all have automatic climate control so the '10 did have them. I know the Mounty's it came standard along with a lot of other options as well. The Mounty might be another idea same truck different skin. I'd go with the V8's too.

I am biased but go with the v8. Mileage almost the same, but the tranny and the engine is way better than the 4.0.

Also, the '10 is just the best of the gen4.

It is a capable truck for its size when equipped right.

Been towing and plowing with mine for the past 9 years, still original tranny with 221k miles.

i wish mine was a V8... only real downside I find is the 09-10 V6's have weak electrical and low power but expensive alternators... and nobody offers HO upgrades for those mitsubishi units... but most people will never care they only have a 105amp unit.... but you want a 2010 V8 and they have 150amp units so you are all good.... only people into lots of lights and or audio looks into this

i wish mine was a V8... only real downside I find is the 09-10 V6's have weak electrical and low power but expensive alternators... and nobody offers HO upgrades for those mitsubishi units... but most people will never care they only have a 105amp unit.... but you want a 2010 V8 and they have 150amp units so you are all good.... only people into lots of lights and or audio looks into this

I didn't know that about the alternators. That's another plus for towing, as it's going to provide better maintenance voltage to the trailer battery.

I heard something about the alternators being some type of rare kind for 09 and 10. Is it for both v6 and v8 ?

There are no aftermarket upgrades for them.

Looking at Rock Auto:
2006-2007 V6: 115 std; 130 opt
2006-2007 V8: 130-135 std
2008 all: 130 std
2009-2010 V6: 115-120 std
2009-2010 V8: 150 std

Exp PL: The part numbers and fit guides do show a change in 2009, as the newer units only fit 2009-2010 (even the 115A units). But Rockauto has them, as well as the 150Amp units for V8s.

OK I get it

I think the v6 owners with 09 or 10 models can not upgrade it to 150 amp. 06-08 v6 can

Back