madconcept

Reaction score
City, State
Vancouver BC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Ford Explorer Sport
Hi everyone.
Ordered a 2016 Explorer Sport, should be here next week!!:D

Does anyone know what tires they come with? It'll be a Canadian model.
My salesman doesn't seem to know.

I heard they may be Hankook Ventus or Optimo. Read that the Ventus are really good but the Optimos are junk!!

I'll get the dealer to swap out if they're the Optimo tires.

Thanks everyone

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi everyone.

I heard they may be Hankook Ventus or Optimo. Read that the Ventus are really good but the Optimos are junk!!

Thanks everyone

If it's a sport, it should have the Ventus Noble 1 tires.

My 16 Sport came with Hankook Ventus S1 Noble 2

My 16 Sport came with Hankook Ventus S1 Noble 2
Hopefully that's what mine will have, thanks a lot.
Have you guys found them them to be good? Reviews seem really good. Sounds like they offer a good balance of handling, wet/dry performance and comfort. Even though it's an SUV I still enjoy "driving" when the wife and kids aren't in the car!:)

I'm from rainy Vancouver BC. Summers are nice but winter it's wet, I'm getting winter tires/rims with it as that was the promo at the time of ordering. Not overly concerned about winter performance of the Hankooks.

BTW the Platinum's get the same Hancook Ventus S1 Noble 2 tires as the Sport. The tires seam to provide good all season traction. Not sure how they would be in snow above 3" as we rarely get that here in Indiana. Also not sure how they will wear as I only have 2k miles on mine...Good thing you have a different set for winter with you living in Canada...

I have a 1000 miles on my new Explorer with the Ventus S1 Noble 2s. Been through three 8-10'' snow falls here and they handled very well. No concerns

Hi everyone.

Thanks everyone

Any chance you could elaborate on the Optimo tires being evaluated as "Junk"

Is this a unbiased tire test evaluation by suspension and handling engineers?

Wet weather performance?
Braking?
Wear?
Side wall construction?
Rubber Compound
Tread Design?

Or is this another anonymous person's anecdotal opinion from the always factual internet?

You can order high performance Z rated tires for an upgrade on the Sport. They are summer tires that arent recommended for winter use so you would need a winter set.

Love the Ventus S1 Noble tires. 6k miles on them and rides like a dream.

Any chance you could elaborate on the Optimo tires being evaluated as "Junk"

Is this a unbiased tire test evaluation by suspension and handling engineers?

Wet weather performance?
Braking?
Wear?
Side wall construction?
Rubber Compound
Tread Design?

Or is this another anonymous person's anecdotal opinion from the always factual internet?

You can order high performance Z rated tires for an upgrade on the Sport. They are summer tires that arent recommended for winter use so you would need a winter set.

Going onto Tirerack reading the reviews on the Optimo's have me believe they aren't very good. Reading reviews on the Ventus tires indicate they are excellent tires. Read this on several review sites. I'd rather tell my salesman to swap out "less than stellar" tires when they are still new and get full value for them towards a new set, rather than drive on them for 1000 km and discover that myself and get nothing for them.

Sounds like my 2016 will come with the Ventus tires anyways, from what has been said here. My salesman still doesn't know for sure as he is awaiting the arrival of several 2016's, mine included. I spoke with the parts guy at the dealer and he recommended Michelin LTX Premier tires if mine has the Optimo's. The dealer agreed to a full credit on the Optimo tires, I'll just have to pay labour fee for mount and balance.

Going onto Tirerack reading the reviews on the Optimo's have me believe they aren't very good. Reading reviews on the Ventus tires indicate they are excellent tires. Read this on several review sites. I'd rather tell my salesman to swap out "less than stellar" tires when they are still new and get full value for them towards a new set, rather than drive on them for 1000 km and discover that myself and get nothing for them.

Sounds like my 2016 will come with the Ventus tires anyways, from what has been said here. My salesman still doesn't know for sure as he is awaiting the arrival of several 2016's, mine included. I spoke with the parts guy at the dealer and he recommended Michelin LTX Premier tires if mine has the Optimo's. The dealer agreed to a full credit on the Optimo tires, I'll just have to pay labour fee for mount and balance.
You are lucky that your dealer is willing to swap tires. Mine wasn't at all interested in taking back the Optimos on my 2011 so I swapped them the same day at a tire shop for $80 credit per tire on the Yokohama Parada Spec-X. I also like to read the reviews from actual 'real world' users about their experiences with tires that I'm looking at. I put as much faith in them as any 'professional' opinions.

Peter

And how were you going to orchestrate this?

My salesman said he will let me know when it arrives what tires are on it.
I've also had a chat with service and parts departments. They will give me full credit on the tires. I'll just have to pay the labour part, which is totally fair in my opinion. They'll probably just do this when it's in the shop for PDI. They do this a lot especially for trucks as some people want to swap for all terrain tires, etc.

Was at dealer yesterday getting the first service done on my Ex. They had a Sport on the floor. It has Hankooks.

They are both Hankooks:
Hankook Optimo
Hankook Ventus S1 Noble 2

Canadian owner here of a 2016 Sport and they are the Ventus A/S.
I believe there's an option for summer only tires, but reserved for the US market only.
Though we had a relatively mild winter, I also suggest getting dedicated winter tires and rims.

Canadian owner here of a 2016 Sport and they are the Ventus A/S.
I believe there's an option for summer only tires, but reserved for the US market only.
Though we had a relatively mild winter, I also suggest getting dedicated winter tires and rims.
Just checked both the U.S. and Canadian Ford websites and didn't see the optional Summer tire listed as an option.

Peter

The Optimo felt like an average tire to me, similar to the tire rack ratings. Not junk by any means, I have dedicated winter tires so not sure how it is in snow, but judging the tread doesn't seem that aggressive.

Just checked both the U.S. and Canadian Ford websites and didn't see the optional Summer tire listed as an option.

Peter

It's listed in the brochure.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's listed in the brochure.
Not the first time there is a discrepancy between the brochure and the Build & Price program. It does show in the 2016 Order Guide as an option for the 401A package. P265/45ZR20 Summer-only Tire.

Peter

Back