Help with double-din dash kit | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help with double-din dash kit

ncyrider

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sport Trac 4WD
Installed a Kenwood ddx372bt double-din touch screen a while ago, and I still can't find, or make, an install kit/surround plate to fit around the head unit and hold it in place. On a 2001 Sport Trac, which I had to use a dremel to cut material out of the radio bezel to get a double-din to slide in.
Got one of the more popular install kits, metra I believe, that fits in the explorer radio bezel nicely but will not fit around this head unit no matter how much material I remove from it, even after cutting it up into 2 very small plastic "spacers" just to fit on the sides.
Unless there is a specific "ultra thin" kit for this explorer radio bezel, I am searching for an aftermarket bezel, a modified one, or someone who can modify mine so it will accept any one of the double-din install kits, or at least have something to hold the unit in place so it won't move.
OR, to save money, I will be looking for some kind of "form fitting" material/product that I can use to help fill in the gaps between the bezel and head unit. Any ideas please let me know, I'm tired of looking at my incomplete dash!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What vehicle did you put it into? Another Explorer?

This is all on the same explorer. Looks like that Metra 3 peice kit is all I need

Yep, the Metra kit is the one.

Attachments

• Kenwood install.jpg
    Kenwood install.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 1,977

Nice radio Chef.

Thanks. Its a Kenwood DPX500BT. Nothing real special, no touchscreen or nav, single CD. But it does have Bluetooth and USB in. Cool thing is that you can select a zillion colors for the display so I matched it to the green of the other dash lights. With the Metra wiring and dash kit, she went in pretty easily. Changed out the 4 door speakers and the sub also.

Back