Text messaging has stopped for my SYNC? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Text messaging has stopped for my SYNC?

1995E

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 + 11 Ex both XLT
Hey all,

I've been wondering if anyone else had this issue. For a while now, my text messaging on MFT has stopped work. It continually says my device does not support texts but that's not true. It works on the Fusion. I have an iPhone 5 with iOS 9. Anyone know what I can do to fix it?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey all,

I've been wondering if anyone else had this issue. For a while now, my text messaging on MFT has stopped work. It continually says my device does not support texts but that's not true. It works on the Fusion. I have an iPhone 5 with iOS 9. Anyone know what I can do to fix it?

The way to fix it for sure(at least it works for me) is as follows:

1. Delete (your explorers version) of SYNC on your phone and delete your phone from SYNC.

2. Reverse pair your phone to SYNC. To reverse pair, when you hit add device the screen will appear with a button on the bottom that says "add other devices"(or something like that) hit that button immediately and it tells you to search for SYNC on your device. It will then say confirm and it will pair them. (I sure these steps are not exact but close, sorry going from memory).

3. Turn on show notifications on your phone(see previous post by Ford Team).

4. Reboot your iPhone.

Have somebody send you a test text. it should work now.

Also, many times you can skip the instructions above and simply reboot your iPhone and it will start working again. I always do this first, and it works most of the time.

I have never(in the last 3 years) did a master reset, nor disconnected my battery cable.

I tried putting on show notifications on my iPhone's settings. Whenever I went to messaging, the same thing pops up (Text messaging not supported with this phone). I'll try repairing it to see if that works.

I have the same problem, I deleted the phone from my car and I deleted SYNC from my phone. Re- paired and still the same problem.

I figured it out. I missed a step.

I'm glad you figured it out, Carnivore because that's what I had to do and it worked. I know it's extremely frustrating when it doesn't work the way it's supposed to be and you can't figure out why so I'm glad it's working now for you.

I figured it out. I missed a step.

What was the step? Also, could the number of phones I've paired be the issue? I have like 7 or 8

Nevermind, I did what Rebecca said but this time, I unpaired the phone, deleted it from MFT. Forgot this device on my iPhone. Re-paired them. Then at the prompt where it prompts for Autodownload Phonebook, favorite phone, etc. I went to my phone first to allow notifications in the iPhone settings for SYNC. Then I completed the MFT prompt. I had to turn off the car first, open the door, before the text messaging worked but it definitely works now. Thanks everyone for the advice!

You should turn off auto phone book download as well.

Back