User reviews on HID kits (consolidated) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

User reviews on HID kits (consolidated)

croll326

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Sport
Been unhappy with my coolbulbs kit. Andrew has been helping me but I am just fed up with swapping parts and the lights not working sometimes. I have searched and found posts of some kits being used but wanted to consolidate them to their own thread. Please include your kit brand, length of time you've had it, does "auto" setting work, canbus or not, wiring harness or not, any anything else relevant to your set up we might want to know.

Just installed some 9011HIR's and wow - they still stink. Need a new HID for sure but really need more feedback. From all my reading before coolbulbs seemed like a good bet but they just had some issues and I got fed up.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have been using xenonsplus for 2 years now with out any problems they work fine with the auto lights, they use hyluxtek for their ballast just like diode dynamics do, they both just re-brand them, I believe hyluxtek is the best kit you can buy just watch out because there are some fakes out there.
I did tried morimoto before and they where complete garbage did not work with the auto lights and just would not work in subzero temperatures.

After reading all of the controversy about these H ID kits I finally bought diode dynamics kit . I did not buy the relay kit because they told me I did not need it for my 2014 explore .The auto feature works fine the beam pattern is excellent no one has ever flash their lights at me.just make sure when you install the bulb the metal part or the igniter has to point down towards the ground , otherwise the beam pattern will be off. I bought the 4300 k HID 35 watt kit . I am happy with my purchase

After reading all of the controversy about these H ID kits I finally bought diode dynamics kit . I did not buy the relay kit because they told me I did not need it for my 2014 explore .The auto feature works fine the beam pattern is excellent no one has ever flash their lights at me.just make sure when you install the bulb the metal part or the igniter has to point down towards the ground , otherwise the beam pattern will be off. I bought the 4300 k HID 35 watt kit . I am happy with my purchase

I'm in the midst of trying to figure out why mine looks like a wavy ocean. The beam cut-off is terrible. How did you come to find that the metal bar needs to face down - trial and error? I can't get mine to seat properly. And I assume what you mean is the metal bar attached and running parallel to the bulb?

I'm in the midst of trying to figure out why mine looks like a wavy ocean. The beam cut-off is terrible. How did you come to find that the metal bar needs to face down - trial and error? I can't get mine to seat properly. And I assume what you mean is the metal bar attached and running parallel to the bulb?
Yes the metal part of the bulb. Because the beam pattern was all over the place like yours

on mine the socket and bulbs are keyed so that they only go in one way. There's two big tabs and one small tab on the bulbs.

DDM 35w 5000K w/relay harness, not can-bus.

Auto works 90% in cold weather, 100% in warm weather. Issue only occurs at engine startup.

Installed 12/14

Kit is inexpensive, I had to do some minor trimming on the locking tabs on the bulbs. I reported the issue to DDM last December but I do not know if it was resolved.

This is my third DDM kit, two were in 2011 Mustangs. They were bought in 3/2011. One was moved to a F150 that was still working when I traded the truck and the other is still working.

for light pattern see my post here:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3380581&postcount=18

Coolbulbs 6K

After two years of use in which I run my lights ALL the time-day or night, they have failed. It is not the bulbs, but the ballasts on the headlights and foglights. Not sure if it is heat/age/usage or if Andrew is correct in stating that a RELAY needs to be installed, that he sells to remedy the issue of the lights turning off one at a time and needing reset with a quick off and on of the light switch. I never run my in AUTO. Always ON. So far the new ballasts on the headlights are working 100% of the time. Waiting on my fog light ballasts which are actually the same unit/part number as the headlight ballasts.

Buzz

Very happy with the kit I got from theretrofitsource.com for my wife's 2010 Milan. You may spend a few more bucks, but you get a very solid kit.

Very happy with the kit I got from theretrofitsource.com for my wife's 2010 Milan. You may spend a few more bucks, but you get a very solid kit.

Roger that!

TY

Just replaced my cool bulb fogs with some bulbs yesterday. The one ballast was corroded and split open. So much for that....

I have changed out the fog lights. The off and on issue of the original fog lights is probably from user error. The tape job I did on the old exposed portion of the ballast to hold the two connectors together looked very suspect when I saw for the first time. I did a much thorough job this time around with the new kit. So far no issues.

Buzz

I have a DDM Tuning Canbus kit in 5500K temp. Extremely happy with it and the fact that I don't have to use a relay harness when the auto lights feature is on. Have a kit in the headlights and fog/driving lights in the same color. The kits have been in for almost a year without a glitch. Have been using DDM Tuning for over 12 years with great success.

EDIT, VIDEO ADDED
DDM Tuning Night video 5500K

Stay away from Ebay 55W kits. They suck. 35W kits are okay and they are all you need. Honestly, you all should just get fanless LEDs instead. A lot more worth it and more plug and play.

Stay away from Ebay 55W kits. They suck. 35W kits are okay and they are all you need. Honestly, you all should just get fanless LEDs instead. A lot more worth it and more plug and play.

Are you saying for fogs or headlights?

Are you saying for fogs or headlights?

Well, I replaced my 35W HIDs (They were still working great) with the fanless LED bulbs. In my opinion, It's brighter than the stock halogens but only a little dimmer compared to the HIDs. If you want, I can post the link of the type of fanless LEDs I got. The best part is you don't have to cut a hole in your dustcap. It fits back on after the install.

Well, I replaced my 35W HIDs (They were still working great) with the fanless LED bulbs. In my opinion, It's brighter than the stock halogens but only a little dimmer compared to the HIDs. If you want, I can post the link of the type of fanless LEDs I got. The best part is you don't have to cut a hole in your dustcap. It fits back on after the install.

A link would be good.

A link would be good.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2X-2015-24V...849248?hash=item4af12d2ba0:g:NZ4AAOSwuTxWAm-E

These are the exact ones I bought.

Someone from the LED conversion thread bought these but hasn't said anything about them yet:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00&tag=viglink20460-20

Edit: Here is what he said about these LED bulbs from Amazon:

Yes. I have been running the LEDs for about a week now. I do like them. The color is about the same as my 6K HIDs, maybe slightly whiter. The LEDs are slightly less bright, but still very bright. The beam pattern seems well dispersed. Overall I am happy with the LEDs and think they offer a good option to HID.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019GWOF12?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00&tag=viglink20460-20

I am guessing the ones he bought would be much brighter at 4,800 lumens versus the ones I got at 2,500 lumens. However, driving LEDs with higher current does produce a lot more heat. I chose the 2,500 lumen bulbs because I am hoping they would last a road trip, and they did.

The seller I bought from Ebay for the 2,500 lumen bulbs, you can make an offer for a lower price. That's what I did.

Edit: This also looks like a decent one, not sure how the cutoff would be with the high front lip though.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Auto-Led-H4...ash=item3f5945ffdc:g:vAkAAOSwSHZWc5yv&vxp=mtr

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Been unhappy with my coolbulbs kit. Andrew has been helping me but I am just fed up with swapping parts and the lights not working sometimes. I have searched and found posts of some kits being used but wanted to consolidate them to their own thread. Please include your kit brand, length of time you've had it, does "auto" setting work, canbus or not, wiring harness or not, any anything else relevant to your set up we might want to know.

Just installed some 9011HIR's and wow - they still stink. Need a new HID for sure but really need more feedback. From all my reading before coolbulbs seemed like a good bet but they just had some issues and I got fed up.

In the same boat now. My Drivers side isn't working now. He is very responsive and has replaced parts for me before..but this is the 2nd time i have had issues in 6 months. I need to switch ballast to see if that side is junk now but don't have time till this weekend.

Back