Ball Joint Question from Mechanically Challenged Woman! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ball Joint Question from Mechanically Challenged Woman!

thistles

Reaction score
City, State
Queensland
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT 4.0 V6 Wagon
Hi All
I have been told I need to have my upper and lower LH & RH ball joints replaced (cost around $600 each for upper $150 each for lower). My question is can I order these parts cheaper in the USA and if so does anyone know where I can order them and the part numbers.
1999 Ford Explorer XLT 4.0 V6 wagon Model No. 31961SA
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

is that installed or just parts? that sounds very high. you can go to rockauto.com and order them (they ship around the world). you can also do a search on this site for a discount. search "rockauto discount code". on their site, it is very easy to find the parts you need.
for your lower ball joints, on the rockauto site, enter the info on your truck. in the drop down menu, go under "suspension-ball joint" that is for your lowers. for the uppers, go "suspension-control arm" it may ask you if you need a two piece for the passengers side. you more then likely will have one, if your not sure they have pictures. you will have to look at yours, and compare it with the picture shown

You can use Rock Auto.

There are different options depending on brand you go with (I personally prefer Moog).

The part numbers are straight forward, can't really pick the wrong ones, aside from the front right upper control arm which will give you a choice for 2 piece or 1 piece. I'm not sure how the Aussie spec Explorers had those designed, but you should be able to see the image on Rock Auto and compare to yours whether or not it's a 2 piece upper control arm.

You could try www.rockauto.com.

However will they ship to Australia?

Not sure.

You might be paying more in import taxes than you can get them locally down there.

is that installed or just parts? that sounds very high. you can go to rockauto.com and order them (they ship around the world). you can also do a search on this site for a discount. search "rockauto discount code". on their site, it is very easy to find the parts you need.
for your lower ball joints, on the rockauto site, enter the info on your truck. in the drop down menu, go under "suspension-ball joint" that is for your lowers. for the uppers, go "suspension-control arm" it may ask you if you need a two piece for the passengers side. you more then likely will have one, if your not sure they have pictures. you will have to look at yours, and compare it with the picture shown

Beat me to it. ;)

The costs I posted were just for the parts plus another $900 for fitting.

Thanks for all your replies. More questions to come!

Where's Flash from from Brisbane? I'm sure he'll have some great advice for you. Stand by.

Where's Flash from from Brisbane? I'm sure he'll have some great advice for you. Stand by.

Did someone call?

Parts for Explorers here are pretty expensive, it's usually cheaper to buy your own in from the States, even though our dollar is lower.
I had a party when our dollar was at parity.
I haven't been charged Import Tax yet.

Not all suppliers ship to Australia and some of the ones that do charge a fortune.
Almost all have free US shipping and I use shipito.com.

I'll usually look at Amazon first then Rock Auto, Summit, ebay, a few others.
I'll get the part number, usually from Amazon and google it.

This is from my Amazon page:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sx_as?k...1458199686&vehicle=1997-54-663------------1-1

and http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref...icle=1997-54-663-13--9-6-8-3482--9-1--138-1-1
'99 is the same as '97.

Have a look and compare prices for the parts and the shipping.

Get one of the locals to recommend a brand.
I don't know if the balljoints are serviceable separately from the control arms. If you buy control arms you'll get bushes too.

Our Exs have a 2 piece upper arm on one side but I don't remember which side and my Ex isn't here at the moment for me to look.

Whereabouts are you, thistles?

I'm in Mackay at the moment.

Our Exs have a 2 piece upper arm on one side but I don't remember which side and my Ex isn't here at the moment for me to look.

'95-'01 Ex's have the two piece stock UCA on the passenger side (right hand side here in the States.) Moog does make a 1 piece UCA retro fit for the right side tho. I used the 1 piece on my '98. Or you can just replace it with another 2 piece UCA.

Back