Ford Explorer Cross Bars / Roof Rack | Page 9 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ford Explorer Cross Bars / Roof Rack

What would you pick?

• Oem crossbars + No-name Box

Votes: 20 46.5%
  • Aftermarket crossbars + No-name Box

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • Aftermarket crossbars + Thule Box

Votes: 14 32.6%
  • Aftermarket crossbars + Yakima Box

Votes: 4 9.3%
  • Other

Votes: 3 7.0%

• Total voters
I'd sell you mine but I like having things collect dust in my garage on the slightest off chance that I might need them again sometime over the course of a century or so...:banghead:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'd sell you mine but I like having things collect dust in my garage on the slightest off chance that I might need them again sometime over the course of a century or so...:banghead:

Thanks man....lol

FYI: You can get 20% off at REI right now if you're a member there (or pay one-time fee of $20 to sign up). People are reporting that Thule and Yakima are eligible...
http://slickdeals.net/f/8562250-rei...r-full-price-item-20-off-free-in-store-pickup

Edit: Just installed my OEM bars from Levittown Ford. I didn't shop around too much honestly, but the price seemed competitive and shipping was fast. My Thule cargo box should be available for pickup tomorrow, so hopefully I can pick it up soon. Will share photos if anyone's interested.

Looks like the part number for the 2016+ bars is GB5Z-7855100-AB.

With that said, I did purchase the OEM crossbars for my wife's Limited but only because someone locally was selling a set of used ones for a great price. I'm not sure how they will work with my 21cubic feet skybox as I'm afraid the mounting claws might rub against the top of the roof but I'll give them a try. If it's too close comfort, I guess I'll be posted a set of OEM cross rails for sale.
How did that go? I also have a Yakima Skybox, and I was concerned that the OEM crossbars might sit a little low. My thought was to have a film put onto the roof to absorb the scratches (like you'd use as a rock mask on front), but by the time I do that I may as well buy aftermarket bars.

Unless the OEM bars work...

They worked fine when the box was empty during the dry fit. Ended up not using it though in favor of my hitch box instead so have no clue how much clearance there would be when the box is loaded. My guess is it would be fine unless you hit a huge pot hole or something.

Dumb question I'm sure, but we just purchased a new 2016 XLT for my wife this weekend. I was wanting to purchase some crossbars to carry our kayaks on vacation later this summer, but when I look at the side bars currently on the roof it doesn't look like there's anywhere to attach (black plastic "panels" cover the sides). Do the black plastic pieces just come off?

Also what crossbars are recommended for hauling the kayaks? They each weigh 60-75# or so.

Dumb question I'm sure, but we just purchased a new 2016 XLT for my wife this weekend. I was wanting to purchase some crossbars to carry our kayaks on vacation later this summer, but when I look at the side bars currently on the roof it doesn't look like there's anywhere to attach (black plastic "panels" cover the sides). Do the black plastic pieces just come off?

Also what crossbars are recommended for hauling the kayaks? They each weigh 60-75# or so.
Welcome to the Forum.:wavey:
Have you checked out; http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=433974&highlight=2016+crossbars
See post 27 in that thread about the weight limitations.

Peter

Hi, new member here. Are you able, or do you know if you can carry two kayaks with these crossbars even though you have the moonroof??

Thanks,

Not sure how many of you guys decided to put crossbars on yourself (or had difficulty doing so), but thought I would share my experience from today's install. Most of it is pretty straight forward, but for those of you who are still undecided and are wondering what everything entails, hopefully this will help.

The installation instructions are ok, but they definitely could be better. There IS a front and rear crossbar as you can see in the picture.
e9d45698.jpg

Then, using a flathead screwdriver, remove the rear covers to expose the track within cargo bars.
f3618067.jpg

For those of you with moon roofs, you will need to slide the plastic "v" spacers in the track. This was probably the "hardest" part of the installation as the overall size (width) of the "v" is just a bit too large. I slightly deformed mine during the installation because I either pulled or pushed them into position. They are not very stiff (thank goodness), otherwise I think they would never fit inside the track.
6e5afab1.jpg

Next, install the metallic nutplate/clamp pieces into the mounting plates.
af42830d.jpg

Then simply slide each respective crossbar mounts in the track. There are "left" and "right" side mounts, but not "forward" or "rear" specific mounts to each left or right side.
c85991d8.jpg

Once the mounts are in place, then mount each respective crossbar into position. I will need to move the forward mounts to atleast the forward half of the vehicle. Otherwise you will not be able to install the crossbars. I did notice that each crossbar can lengthen/extend to a certain amount. I think that's to allow the individual to slide each slide a little at a time without having to first loosen up both sides.
68c479e1.jpg

The finished product!
e5715532.jpg

Hi, new member here. Are you able, or do you know if you can carry two kayaks with these crossbars even though you have the moonroof??

Thanks,
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
As per the posts in this thread and your Owner's Manual, the weight restriction with a moonroof is 45 lbs. I believe the restrictions have more to do with making the Explorer top heavy than the actual structural integrity. Your choice.
Also, please add the trim level (Base, XLT, etc.) to your profile so it shows in the margin. That can be useful info at times. Thanks.

Peter

Back