Crashed my APIM | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Crashed my APIM

briteboy

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer XLT+Nav,MFT
So I downloaded the "3.8" update for Sync. Put on a thumb drive and inserted it into the USB port in the EX.

All appeared to be going smoothly, files were loading into SYNC system, then BAMB...screen goes blank. I figured it was just working thru all of the code in the software, but 2 hours later, the screen is still blank.

So I took it to a local dealer, and the tech tested it, and the APIM is dead. I really don't suspect the update did it, but rather exposed a flaw already there.

So I have a new APIM coming (hopefully tomorrow). And I can't believe that it's still under warranty. Usually with my luck, stuff breaks a week after the warranty is up.

Guess we'll see if they put 3.8 back on the new APIM.

Anyway, that's my sob story for the month. Hope none of you have to experience this...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So I downloaded the "3.8" update for Sync. Put on a thumb drive and inserted it into the USB port in the EX.

All appeared to be going smoothly, files were loading into SYNC system, then BAMB...screen goes blank. I figured it was just working thru all of the code in the software, but 2 hours later, the screen is still blank.

So I took it to a local dealer, and the tech tested it, and the APIM is dead. I really don't suspect the update did it, but rather exposed a flaw already there.

So I have a new APIM coming (hopefully tomorrow). And I can't believe that it's still under warranty. Usually with my luck, stuff breaks a week after the warranty is up.

Anyway, that's my sob story for the month. Hope none of you have to experience this...

Ford recently extended the APIM warranty to 5 years since they have had so many issues with them going dead for no apparent reason.

Ford recently extended the APIM warranty to 5 years since they have had so many issues with them going dead for no apparent reason.

Actually, it was extended quite a while back as a response to all the issues.

While there have been some reports of updates crashing an APIM, they usually can be resurrected with a trip to the dealer. Not many reports of one going absolutely dead after an update.

Awww, I don't like your "sob story", briteboy, but I'm glad that it's working out in your favor! Since v3.8 is the latest, they should install it on the new APIM. When you get a chance, please PM me your VIN so I can report this to my support.

Rebecca

Crashed APIM...update

Got the new APIM installed today with 3.8 loaded. Other than a minor issue re-pairing the phone, it all appears to work much better than the old APIM. NAV comes right up, instead of waiting 30 minutes to sync with satellites.

Music plays fine off the USB drive.

Haven't tried voice control yet, but don't anticipate a problem. Will try that tomorrow.

My only complaint is that Ford doesn't put any kind of warranty on the new APIM other than what is left on the extended warranty of the OEM unit. Seems to me they should put at least a couple of years on a new replacement.

The newer units don't have to extended 5 year warranty to begin with. The early units were problematic which is why they went with the extended warranty on them. I would be interested in knowing the version of APIM that was installed in your 2011. If you will hit me up via PM [MENTION=202165]briteboy[/MENTION]

My only complaint is that Ford doesn't put any kind of warranty on the new APIM other than what is left on the extended warranty of the OEM unit. Seems to me they should put at least a couple of years on a new replacement.

That's the way most warranties work, you're only covered for the original time period. Just had this with a replaced MotorCraft battery, cell phones and an insulin pump.

Which years of the 2011 - 2015 Explorers get the 5 year unlimited mileage warranty for the APIM?

2011-2014

What did Ford do to improve the quality and reliability of the APIM on the 2015 and 2016 model years that the owners of those vehicles don't deserve the same peace of mind that comes with a 5 year unlimited mileage warranty?

What did Ford do to improve the quality and reliability of the APIM on the 2015 and 2016 model years that the owners of those vehicles don't deserve the same peace of mind that comes with a 5 year unlimited mileage warranty?

It's the software that changed. The software was so bad in the beginning they extended the warranty on the APIM to appease the customer. Not sure why they don't extend it for 15-16. I'm suspecting they will at some point.

Back