• Register Today It's free!

How much is a 1998 worth?

Stick_man

Reaction score
City, State
NYC, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer V6 SOHC
I thought I saw they were worth $2,500 - $3,000, but now I see they are worth $2,000 on kbb?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Depends on miles/conditions/what's wrong/what's been replaced.. there's a lot of factors that go into it. But I see them anywhere from $500 (Parts cars, blown engines/transmissions) to $3-4 grand for a pristine car with low miles.

try something like cars.com or autotrader.com Filter by make, model, year, and miles. Set the search range to all miles from zip code.

This will give you a ballpark figure for what they really sell for. Granted these are just asking prices, but almost nobody gets more than what they asked for.

A V8 AWD truck is going to get more than a OHV V6 especially because the V8's are known to go well past 200k miles.

There are a lot of factors that come into play as stated above. Are you looking to sell or looking to buy? If selling what truck do you have and what are the options?

I am really looking to develop an exit strategy. My truck has been great but, I am really growing sick of doing maint. Between this thing and my Harley and dirt bike... it is like all my time is spent fixing things. And I think the car has to be reliable -- not to mention it's easier to fix bikes.

It's a 1998 explorer xlt 4.0l sohc 4x4; with 151k; white/grey 2 tone; leather; dual air bags etc.

Depending on how much rust it has $1,500. Maybe $1,800 with little to no rust. What I see in my area is if its a year 2000 or older you aren't getting $2,000 for it. Plus KBB said mine is only worth $1,400

Did their valuations go down though? I could swear it said it was $2800-$3000 for mine and now it's saying $1800-2000

Did their valuations go down though? I could swear it said it was $2800-$3000 for mine and now it's saying $1800-2000

Unfortunately explorers seem to not retain their value at all, except for newer generations.

I see 2004's and 5's going for $4k-5k grand. When I bought mine in 2009 they were going for up to $5k at dealerships and $4k private seller. Bought one for actually $3,500 at a dealer with 76k miles on it so I got lucky on that one but it wasn't as good to me as this one I kept. That was that many years ago. So it only makes sense 5-6years later the later 5-6years models are going for that same price mine was when I bought it

You'd be doing really well to get $2000 for it. Especially as it's a SOHC V6. The last 4-door Expl I bought was a loaded XLT V8 w/206K on it. It's a southern truck with no rust whatsoever. 4 brand new tires and a brand new battery. I bought it last fall and only gave $1500 for it. A '98 is now getting pretty long in the tooth. Sorry.

It will always reach a point where the inherent worth of the truck is more than the money you can get for it. That’s how people end up with a garage full of clunkers. My 98 is in the best shape it has ever been but I am sure others just see a 17 year old truck.

C4C. What a misguided program. The politicians way to sell cars. I am surprised we can still get engines and transmissions for them.

My '98 4.0 SOHC XLT 4x4 w/ leather, 945a (lux) package, is basically a max out XLT with 197K miles. KBB lists it at $2500 for a private party sale, and $1500 for a trade in.
I do not think I would get that much in either case. Regardless, it's more value to me as a dd than the cash I could get for it. When the time comes and she gives up the ghost I'll probably donate it to a automobile tech school - I have a complete maintenance record and all documentation on everything that has ever been done to the vehicle.
(I even have the original window sticker.) I'll get a tax deduction and I'll feel good about giving it to folks that might put her to good use after she's done totin' me around.

There as a beautiful 1998 Eddie Bauer V8 with service records and extremely low miles (around 125-130k as I recall) for sale on CL this past spring. Southern vehicle, super nice condition inside and out and the seller was asking under $2000 for it. It sold quickly, but most '98's aren't anywhere near that nice.

Checked again... it says 2200$ good condition and 2400$ very good condition for a private sale. Also NADA appears to be the exact same thing/ same website that evaluates the worth. So KBB and NADA are one in the same now?

paid 3k for my 130k v8 1999.

was a one owner and in great condition.

Paid $1400 for my 126K mile 99 XL.

I'm pretty sure I've have to give mine away, and it's in very reliable condition. Maybe a V8 4x4 4.11 has some value but not an limp OHV

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back