98 Explorer 4.0 getting no spark. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

98 Explorer 4.0 getting no spark.

NanaTee4

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer
My son used my truck to jump a friends small car off. Running the entire time. As he went to pull away, he explains "the truck started acting funny." He said he had it up to abt 45mph, then the pedal went all the way to floor, so he started to pull off on the shoulder when the truck completely shut down. Now it cranks very sluggishly, but wont start. Come to find out, its not getting any spark. Could the ignition coil possibly have went out. Its original. Truck has new battery, new fuel pump, new fuel filter, 3 month old spark plugs and wires. Could my son have caused a problem with jumping his friends car off.? Shorted something out? He's not mechanically inclined but he knows a little and he knows how to use jumper cables, to which his friends car fired right up. Mine unfortunately, is sick now.... Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have the battery tested. How new is it? Its possible to have shorted it out while jumping.

Also, try jump starting it from another vehicle, just to see if it runs.

The battery is abt 6 months old. My oldest already tried to jump it from another P/U but it still didn't fire up. He checked a couple of plugs and found no spark. He changed out the ignition coil last night, but still nothing. After some research online, he turned the key to ON and watched for the CHECK ENGINE light. All the other lights that usually light up did, but not the check engine light. We read in another post, that that can be a symptom of a bad PCM.

Yea my oldest said he checked the fuses and relays and they're all fine. Hes going to change out the PCM this evening and fingers crossed that's the problem.

He just informed me, that when he was cranking it yesterday, there was a pop and a little smoke from somewhere in the area of the ignition coil and the injectors. He said he can't be sure because he only saw it from the inside the truck.

Ok, do you hear the fuel pump prime when you first switch the key to "on"?

In the area of the gas fill door, listen for an electric motor sound while someone else turns the key to the on position. The pump will only prime for about 1-2 seconds every time the key is turned from off to on.

He just informed me, that when he was cranking it yesterday, there was a pop and a little smoke from somewhere in the area of the ignition coil and the injectors. He said he can't be sure because he only saw it from the inside the truck.

That sounds like a fusible link popped.

Turdle, the fuel pump does prime/turn on. You can definately hear that.

Turdle, the fuel pump does prime/turn on. You can definately hear that.

From what I understand, if the fuel pump gets power, then the PCM is turning "on"

First thing I would do is check the check engine light bulb in the cluster. Using it's flash sequence may help troubleshoot the no start issue.

Also, disconnect the crank position sensor, give it a light tap and plug it back in. The crank sensor provides the spark control input.

Purchased a scanner, ran a scan and no codes came across. Double checked all the fuses inside the truck and under the hood. Located and checked the one thats in a wire coming off the battery cable and its fine. The crankshaft position sensor i guess is the next step. Check it and we'll see what happens.

Don't know exactly why, but we've got spark now. Its cranking, but still no start. Smh.

that sounds like your problem there, if it's in the area of the coil, which is not working i'd check all that wiring

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Iginition coil is new but still won't start. Also replaced the crankshaft position sensor. Still just spins, no start.

Back