• Register Today It's free!

Help

dtubby

Reaction score
City, State
Dallas, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Ford Explorer
I have a Silver 2015 Ford Explorer. On 1/13/2016 I was rear-ended on the North Dallas Tollway while merging into traffic. I was by myself & it caused about $9000 worth of damage. On 3/7/2016, I was at a stop sign (stationary) awaiting a break in 5 pm traffic for an opportunity to turn right & was rear-ended. On 3/18/2016, I was again, at a stop sign (stationary) awaiting a break in 5 pm traffic to turn right onto Hwy 635 frontage road & once again was rear-ended. The first 2, the driver's claimed fault & paid for the damages. My youngest daughter was in the last 2 rear-endings with me. The last incident was an elderly woman & the collision pushed my SUV into oncoming traffic. She got out to inspect her car, as I yelled to her to back up before she caused my daughter & I to be killed as a semi-truck & 2 other lanes of heavy traffic were coming! The car behind her backed up, she backed up & I basically u-turned at that stop to pull out of traffic to exchange information. She fled the scene.

Have any other owners of this SUV or this COLOR SUV had similar encounters? I've had Ford Explorers for as long as I can remember, but I never owned a SILVER vehicle. As soon as it gets out of the shop, I'm trading it back as this must be a sign from a higher power to get out of that vehicle:(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a Silver 2015 Ford Explorer. On 1/13/2016 I was rear-ended on the North Dallas Tollway while merging into traffic. I was by myself & it caused about $9000 worth of damage. On 3/7/2016, I was at a stop sign (stationary) awaiting a break in 5 pm traffic for an opportunity to turn right & was rear-ended. On 3/18/2016, I was again, at a stop sign (stationary) awaiting a break in 5 pm traffic to turn right onto Hwy 635 frontage road & once again was rear-ended. The first 2, the driver's claimed fault & paid for the damages. My youngest daughter was in the last 2 rear-endings with me. The last incident was an elderly woman & the collision pushed my SUV into oncoming traffic. She got out to inspect her car, as I yelled to her to back up before she caused my daughter & I to be killed as a semi-truck & 2 other lanes of heavy traffic were coming! The car behind her backed up, she backed up & I basically u-turned at that stop to pull out of traffic to exchange information. She fled the scene.

Have any other owners of this SUV or this COLOR SUV had similar encounters? I've had Ford Explorers for as long as I can remember, but I never owned a SILVER vehicle. As soon as it gets out of the shop, I'm trading it back as this must be a sign from a higher power to get out of that vehicle:(

I have a Ingot Silver Explorer XLT and I honestly haven't been rear ended at all the 5 years I've driven the vehicle. Your incidents sounds like it was a combination of other factors. My father's 1995 Explorer got rear ended 7 times. Honestly, it must be a bunch of aggressive/bad drivers around your area.

What has helped me avoid people hitting me in the rear is that I slow down early before the stop so that other drivers won't have to slam their brakes approaching a stop sign. It usually gets the drivers behind to slow down at my pace. I always make sure no car is behind me before making an emergency stop. I don't think it's the color at all. Just a combination of other factors that you unfortunately had to take the short straw of.

Its just the terrible DFW drivers. You can consider adding some DOT reflective tape to the back of the explorer. Reality is, no matter what you drive in DFW, someone is bound to hit you.

Should go without saying but have you checked to make sure all of your brake lights work?

Sounds like everybody may be using the same braking procedures. If you brake late in traffic, so does everybody else. :salute:

I've never been in an accident in 32 years, now 3 in a row despite most of that driving time being spent in Dallas. I put about 30000-45000 miles on my vehicles each year for traveling athletic events & work. I guess is falls to the law of statistics, but I feel unsafe now in my vehicle, but LOVE my Explorer:( Thankfully, none of these accidents left us injured.

I've checked the breaks multiple times & there are 3 large red lights that come on every time the break is applied. It is kind of a large vehicle, so I really have no answers. The first time was during the night, but the other 2 times, I had been at each stop sign for at least a couple of minutes because it was heavy oncoming traffic during overcast days (during rush hour). I remember after the 1st incident, sitting at a red light, the light turned green, but something gave me pause, just when a driver from the left sped through the red light. I would have been T-boned at full speed that day:( On 3/18/2019 on the way to College Station, I came across a truck that was swerving on the highway, so I called 911...the Highway Patrol did get that vehicle safely off the road before someone was seriously injured.

I break in plenty of time, like I said, twice I was there for several minutes before being rear-ended:( It just seems like my vehicle is invisible. The DOT reflective tape might help, it is just crazy. I just wanted to see if anyone else has had such an experience, as I was buying into the idea that the Silver color was somehow difficult for other drivers to see...

My 80 year old mom swears that Silver vehicles get in more accidents (dating back to the mid 1960's) and told me to never buy one...

Fast forward 50 years... my wife has been hit 3 times in a black explorer and we are looking at trading it in for a new white or red.... there is a study that says darker colored cars are more likely to be hit... but maybe not statistically significantly more... but there is some evidence out there. Silver may also be harder to "see" in certain lighting conditions.

OP, not the spelling police but it's BRAKE or BRAKES. At least five misspelled "breaks" in your otherwise well written posts.

Not ranting, just FYI. :thumbsup:

Oh dang, hadn't realized, I guess I would love to catch a "break" somewhere!! Any ideas other than just dumb, blind, bad luck of these incidents happening???

OP, not the spelling police but it's BRAKE or BRAKES. At least five misspelled "breaks" in your otherwise well written posts.

Not ranting, just FYI. :thumbsup:
One of the most common errors on this site along with their/there.:D

Peter

[MENTION=303141]dtubby[/MENTION], sorry to hear about your misfortune! Very interesting post though, and I've always thought that the 2011+ Explorer taillights are fairly small. I wonder if there's any correlation? Some vehicles have brake lights that span virtually the entire rear end of the car, and Explorers are way out on the edges. The 2016's like mine have just a tight cluster of LEDs no more than a few inches wide.

One suggestion would be a to get a device that makes the center-high-mounted-stop-light (the 3rd light in the middle) flash continually whenever the brakes are applied. They are not very expensive and really get attention. Motorcycle owners often install them.

Just an idea!! Stay safe...

[MENTION=303141]dtubby[/MENTION], sorry to hear about your misfortune! Very interesting post though, and I've always thought that the 2011+ Explorer taillights are fairly small. I wonder if there's any correlation? Some vehicles have brake lights that span virtually the entire rear end of the car, and Explorers are way out on the edges. The 2016's like mine have just a tight cluster of LEDs no more than a few inches wide.

One suggestion would be a to get a device that makes the center-high-mounted-stop-light (the 3rd light in the middle) flash continually whenever the brakes are applied. They are not very expensive and really get attention. Motorcycle owners often install them.

Just an idea!! Stay safe...

Maybe the driver behind should just pay attention. What a world of difference that might make, eh? :salute:

^ Bingo! Shocking that STUPID people using smart phones while driving hasn't been mentioned in this thread. :roll:

In this case, I believe the use of 'smartphones' in this context may be an oxymoron. :D :salute:

^ Bingo! Shocking that STUPID people using smart phones while driving hasn't been mentioned in this thread. :roll:

It's amazing how many people you can see texting on their smartphone while they're driving. My wife will count out every driver she sees texting while I'm driving and it always blows me away how many people are doing it.

I always like getting stuck behind the idiot texting while driving that will drop his speed 10mph below the limit while he texts, but then get lead-foot while he waits for a response text only to drop his speed back down again to read and respond.

We're all doomed!

It's amazing how many people you can see texting on their smartphone while they're driving. My wife will count out every driver she sees texting while I'm driving and it always blows me away how many people are doing it.

I always like getting stuck behind the idiot texting while driving that will drop his speed 10mph below the limit while he texts, but then get lead-foot while he waits for a response text only to drop his speed back down again to read and respond.

We're all doomed!
Here is what the law in Ontario states if convicted of "Distracted Driving";

- a fine of $400, plus a victim surcharge and court fee, for a total of $490 if settled out of court
- fine of up to $1,000 if you receive a summons or fight your ticket
- three demerit points applied to your driver’s record

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here is what the law in Ontario states if convicted of "Distracted Driving";

- a fine of $400, plus a victim surcharge and court fee, for a total of $490 if settled out of court
- fine of up to $1,000 if you receive a summons or fight your ticket
- three demerit points applied to your driver’s record

Peter

You guys go hard over there. When my friend got pulled over in Ontario for speeding, apparently they can impound your car for 7 days.

Back