• Register Today It's free!

Explorer part out

rcypert

Reaction score
City, State
Ft. Lauderdale
Year, Model & Trim Level
Yamaha FZ1
I have always been interested in parting out a vehicle. I think the amount of knowledge gained by tearing a vehicle apart piece by piece would be incredibly valuable. So I recently bought a 400$ Explorer 2004 XLS 4.0L. My intention was to fix it and use it. But after reading about the difficulties of changing the head gasket I decided to use it for a part out experiment, good thing too because I was entertaining the idea of tearing down my 2006 FZ1 and that would have been a shame. Anyways I have figured out that Ford Explorer parts are not worth much.
Are there any parts on this truck that are worth keeping and listing up for sale?
What order do you recommend starting this tear down?
Any parts that should be kept together as a whole (obviously brakes)?
Thanks for any feedback. Hopefully I will be getting my Elite membership in the next few days and have some things for you guys. Please no messages until I have the proper status.
Thank you!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Also I am interested in rebuilding an engine. I have mechanic experience but nothing like that and since this engine is blown I can mess it up with no consequence. Do you guys think this engine is worth a proper rebuild? It had 98k miles.

Also I am interested in rebuilding an engine. I have mechanic experience but nothing like that and since this engine is blown I can mess it up with no consequence. Do you guys think this engine is worth a proper rebuild? It had 98k miles.

Can you post some pics? Thanks, I may be interested in a few parts.

I'm looking for a class 3 hitch stock rear bumper, and a good
step bar (pass side, all black)
vwomein@aol.com

Definitely keep the center console lid. Those are always in high demand. I know they sell for some big bucks on ebay.
It also just so happens that I'm in the market for one. Do you think you could take a picture of yours so I can see if it'll fit?

intact light housings are always needed. not much money in them, but not much work to remove either

Back