Oil Change interval | Page 24 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Oil Change interval

Hey! I've got an idea. Do what makes you comfortable. No explanation of why needed. :D :salute:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The reason this thread is currently sitting at 24 pages is that every time it moves back to the top, members repost what they have already posted several times before. :D

Peter

The reason this thread is currently sitting at 24 pages is that every time it moves back to the top, members repost what they have already posted several times before. :D

Peter

Especially the Moderators!

LOL!

We have beat this dead horse to a pulp!

I agree but then every 2-3 weeks a new poster comes on and asks about oil change intervals. Rather than those posters reading the thread history it gets repeated because its quicker.

I actually learned a lot about oil life and oil analysis from this thread.

I agree but then every 2-3 weeks a new poster comes on and asks about oil change intervals. Rather than those posters reading the thread history it gets repeated because its quicker.

I actually learned a lot about oil life and oil analysis from this thread.

Should I throw my $0.02 in? Lol

not even remotely close. I mean we haven't scratched the surface of the arguments for a specific filter brand - or my favorite going to a larger filter.

or the which oil is real PAO group IV base stock whatever that nobody but a chemist actually knows about.

or Another favorite of mine from the focus days - who really makes motorcraft oil?

There's lots of ground to cover.

Also whoever posted the UOA for their car using the motorcraft stuff - thanks for that. great data point.

But hey you know us engineers we only do what marketing tells us to put out there for people to kill their cars.

...which oil is real PAO group IV base stock whatever that nobody but a chemist actually knows about.

I am a chemist and all I have to add is Whiskey Tango Foxtrot? What is PAO group IV base stock???

I am a chemist and all I have to add is Whiskey Tango Foxtrot? What is PAO group IV base stock???

a term I see on some oil discussions. I'm not 100% sure either but I'm just a Mechanical and Electrical engineer.

Supposedly something like.

Poly - Alpha Olefin. is the PAO. SO linked polymer chain of olefins is about as far as I got. I think it's considered the 4th group of base stock for lubricants. IE group 1 is crude or some such. Group 2 is refined for ________, 3 is __________. and group 4 is the only TRUE synthetic as it doesn't occur in nature.

meh - I don't know. I know I don't care. Engine stand testing and SAE testing says it doesn't matter much. the OLM system assuming a basic "dino" style oil would end up approximately 2/3rd the average values the current systems that were tested using the "synthetic blends".

It should be noted if not mentioned before. For your car the OLM is calibrated to the motorcraft filter and the motorcraft spec oil. If you use something else like say Mobil 1 extreme or Pennzoil Platinum - you're going beyond the test scope. If you use some crazy oil filter - same thing. Or let me back pedal a touch - I have to assume as much since that's what the warranty is for if you used a ford dealer for all your service.

Ok, here is a new twist. My new employer leases vehicles for 3 years. Mine happens to be a 2016 Explorer. And they do all of their own maintenance with in house mechanics in our shop. Oil changes are every 8,000 miles. Should be OK with my Explorer because right now the IOLM is telling me I can go 10,400. I'll have to keep an eye on it and see what it actually says when it hits 8,000.

Ok, here is a new twist. My new employer leases vehicles for 3 years. Mine happens to be a 2016 Explorer. And they do all of their own maintenance with in house mechanics in our shop. Oil changes are every 8,000 miles. Should be OK with my Explorer because right now the IOLM is telling me I can go 10,400. I'll have to keep an eye on it and see what it actually says when it hits 8,000.

You'll be fine. Make sure your shop uses at least a semi synthetic. That's the minimum requirement for the this Explorer. Full synthetic would be ideal/preferred.

Didn't know the oil life indicator showed mileage on when to change the oil?

The owner is calculating the mileage by using the % left and the miles driven, it does not show miles left.

This is a VERY tired thread.

The owner is calculating the mileage by using the % left and the miles driven, it does not show miles left.

This is a VERY tired thread.

Don't you know that most folks today can't do simple math? You can do this math in your head!

Oil Change Interval: Dealer (5k) vs Ford (10k)

I'm a little confused, in that the owners manual tells me to change the oil in my 2016 Ford Explorer every ten thousand miles. The oil life monitor seems to match that.

The Ford dealer, where I purchased the vehicle from is telling me to change it every 5000 miles.

Why would the company and the dealer tell me something different?

Obviously, if changing it every 10k is sufficient, that would be preferable, since it saves me money and time!

Any advice would be appreciated!

Because the dealership makes twice the money by doing it at 5k. All about profit, not what is required.

No different then when I went to a local Goodyear for an oil change on my Camry and they put the "next change - 3,000 miles" on the sticker lol.. ya ok. $$$$$

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Don't feel too bad about being told by the dealer to change your oil every 5000 miles.
In Canada, when the gov adopted the metric system the oil change interval changed from 5000 miles to 5000 kilometres.
5000 km = 3000 miles. Talk about a cash grab, not to mention the fact that you're consuming over twice the amount of fossil fuels. Lol.
I'll let the vehicle determine my oil change frequency.

Back