My new 347 | Page 18 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My new 347

Teaser pic. Should ship today.
More to come when I get my hands on it.

Where's that hard-on Smilie? :eek:

Professionally built stock bottom end by Ford Strokers 28oz imbalance crank
Wiseco pistons, shooting for around 9.6 to 1 comp.
gt40p heads ported (by Thumper) with 1.94/1.54 SS undercut valves and upgraded springs. Intake ports measured 140cc
Custom cam designed with my rear mount turbo in mind

28oz Damper DamperDudes.net (Americas Largest supplier of harmonic balancers)
28oz flex Plate 1830201 - Small Block Ford 289-351W 1963-1982, 28 oz Ext-bal, 164 Teeth
TCS Torque converter shooting for 2400 (1800 stock) stall. Single over-sized clutch for lockup to try to get that turbo spooling, and weight moving.
Trick Flow Track Heat intake
Scorpion Endurance Series Rocker Arms SCC-SCP3021BL
Rocker Arm Channel Kit M-6588-A50
Rocker Arm Pedestal Shim Kit M-6529-A302
Head Dowels TFS-51400420
Comp Cams Hydraulic Roller Lifters 851-16
Pushrod Length Checker TFS-9000
Rocker Arm Pedestal Shim Kits M-6529-A302
water pump reverse rotation GMB-125-1960
Oil Pump Melling M68
ARP Head Studs @ 80lbs w moly
ARP Oil Pump Driveshaft Kits 1 54-7904
ARP High Flexplate Bolt Kits 100-2901
PCV Valve EV127A
push rods: Chromoly, 5/16 in. Diameter, 6.250 in. Length, Ball/Ball Ends Comp Cams CCA-8400-16

gaskets:
header gasket remflex 3028 or Earls Pressure Master 29D03AERL
oil pan gasket Fel-Pro OS34508R
Head Gaskets Fel-Pro 9333PT1
lower intake: Fel-Pro FEL-1250s3
Oil Pan Gasket FEL-OS13260T
Bolt O ring oil filter adapter FOTZ6749B
Block O ring oil filter adapter F6TZ6L621AA edit: it was for too large of a circle. I had to cut it back and use ultrablack to ensure a seal.

Crank bearings....Very sad story on my new motor
695-MS590HX x 1 MAIN BEARING SET Standard Size
695-CB634P20 x 8 CONNECTING ROD BEARING 20 thou undersized for cut crank :(
edit...New cam synchro gear needed. Shaft size .531 Use a steel gear

edit:
moved to Twisted Wedge fac 170 heads
Pushrods: 5/16" with a length of 6.7"
Comp Ultra gold 1.6 rockers
Custom FTI cam
Morel link bar lifters
rollmaster timing set
Fel-Pro 1133SD4 MLS head gaskets

Strategy is REAC4A2 for Tuning

Siemens Deka 63lbs/hr EV6 Injector Part #108191
Aeromotive 340 Fuel Pump, part #11542

347 at Ford Strokers.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This is the key thing to note here. I know I had those same words with my old 347 Explorer. If you have space, money and time to have more than one vehicle then you can have the best of both worlds.

i wouldnt say that. but what i will say is don has had the kind of luck you would have dropping a mirror because the black cat tripped you when it crossed your path while walking under a ladder on friday the 13th that was a full moon type o luck
btw brad, i am still waiting to see the build thread on your new ride!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

i wouldnt say that. but what i will say is don has had the kind of luck you would have dropping a mirror because the black cat tripped you when it crossed your path while walking under a ladder on friday the 13th that was a full moon type o luck
btw brad, i am still waiting to see the build thread on your new ride!

Yes it appears don has had that kind of luck. You guys are very persistent though and I give you both props for sticking with it...

The only mods I've done and will do to the 2007 explorer is a tint, and remote start, it's a good truck and it's just filling in Daily driver duties. I do have another vehicle to replace the explorer sometime this year. I will say it is a Ford and has been about 2 years in waiting and it is going to be unique! I will be modifying it and I'll share the progress on this forum.

End of thread jack :)

Lol. I think the main thing I have learned is not to screw with your daily driver.

There's a lot to be said about having an economical, reliable, daily driver, so our toys can get the attention they deserve ;) I know that's very difficult when a family is involved.

Things became quieter when I said I'd love to get a new vehicle, but the money would need to come from some where. Then I suggested to the kids they could pay rent. Every one scattered.

Imagine that.

LOL, I bet!

My block is expected to come home next week.
I followed up and was told they needed more tools and they just came in.

I'm glad I asked them to degree my cam. The spring heights were off from the cam specs, so that's being set up also.

I did spend some time taking with the machinest that is doing my heads when I dropped my pieces off. He was telling me about his high revving 302 he built in his mustang. The more I'm learning about motors, the more subtle but important differences between them I keep learning about.
I'm sure they want to hear about how great my motor is running as much as everyone else that has been involved in this fiasco.

No shortage of people on the side lines shaking their pom-pom's as I'm fighting this motor.
...............................................Did that just sound weird to you guys? Sounds just not quite right when I read it.

He said pom pom's. lol.

don......do you really want to see me, ME in a cheer leader outfit? im even pouring bleach in my eyes thinking about it....

don......do you really want to see me, ME in a cheer leader outfit? im even pouring bleach in my eyes thinking about it....

Lol, id love to get a picture of that to post. It would be worth it.

Another game delay.

Machine shop saw where another valve clearly kissed a piston.
They say the valve straightened out from the seat pressure and is sealing BUT the metal will be stressed and I shouldn't use it.

I've been driving Ed Curtis crazy. He promptly answered my emails and is shipping a few more valves today. First I ask for Monday delivery. It turned out to be $90.00. The shipping label was already completed. Ed then canceled the shipment and re-did it for Thursday delivery at $25.00usd for me. Keep in mind that this was all kinds of emails.

Here Ed's trying to get some stuff done in his shop for customers and earn a living and I'm busy tormenting him over a couple of valves. I will say that I am extremely happy with flowtechinductions . It has been an amazing company to deal with.

Well done Ed, I appreciate hearing of the great customer service.

Don, can you do Photoshop well? ...

Don, can you do Photoshop well? ...

I have photoshop on my work computer, and I can get by with it.
I would not say I'm good at it, but have managed to get by when I needed it.

LOL. I'm a bit slow sometimes.

I was teasing, I wouldn't do it, but you know Tim well I think. I'm off to work on my "new" 98 Limited.

So I picked up my block from the machine shop yesterday. They said all the bearings are good, so no worries there.
I asked them about degreeing the cam. They said they don't do 'that' and installed it 'dot to dot'. ugh.

Now what?
I would have just bought the degreeing kit from flowtech had they mentioned this when I asked while dropping off the cam. I'm sure I could have figured out how to degree it as the installation sheet gives specific heights at various lobe degree's.

So, no degree kit, and the block in hand, the machine shop suggests a place called Competition Engine. Iv'e heard of them with people having mixed results. No surprise, as everyones experiences are different. Off I go with the block in the back of the Honda.

I get there, talk to the guy at the front, and swing around back to drop the block off. I'm hoping that it was just the receiving area. Not exactly a confidence builder. Dirty, cramped and junky.

So a couple of guys come and lift the block out, first cutting the plastic wrap off and then setting the block on a bench. That's it I think? One of the guys saw the look of hesitation and disgust on my face and assured me the block would me moved and covered. I'm more than a bit nervous about having left my block there.

I'm told they will degree the cam next week.

Ouch. Not a confidence builder.
Fingers crossed for you, buddy.

Seth K. Pyle

If you want something done right....

Never fails, people tell you at the last moment, we don't do that.

You should get the kit and degree it your self, at least you would know it was done right. Kind if a shame to buy a kit to only use once though.

Maybe the shop it is at now will surprise you and do good work. Think positive!

just for reference, the place that dons motor is at, is the same place that did my motor. here is the story. we caught wind that Competition Engine farmed my motor out to do the balancing at the place don took his. competition did all the other machining and assembly to my shortblock. BUT, they didnt put the cam. i had a buddy do it for me. getting a hold of him isnt easy these days (he either hates answering his phone, or is way to busy).
don, princess auto sells wheels (i just found that out). Wayne (the guy that let us use the light, oil and dial indicator) said he wont mind lending us the indicator again if we want it. the only thing left would be to make a piston stop. if you can find out what is needed, i think i can make one if you want to go that route.

Do it yourself, I agree, the tools you will most likely need a time or two later for something else.

I'll give these guys a couple of days and call to see whats happening.

I also think we could find true tdc with the dial gauge and not bother with the piston stop. With the gauge measuring piston height we could measure the exact degree that the piston reaches tdc. Take another measurement at the exact moment the piston leaves tdc (Continuing to turn the crank the same way). True tdc is perfectly in the middle of that.
No piston stop required.

Back