What did you do to your 5th Gen? | Page 14 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What did you do to your 5th Gen?

New Michelin Premier LTX All-Season Radial Tires: 255/50R20

Yes, it is a noticeable improvement of the Hankook; well worth the $200 premium on a set of four even with the same tread life but I expect more out of the Michelins.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Belt change and trans service!

Upgraded my Sync hardware last night, I now have Siri Eyes Free.

Nice upgrade to the software.

Let the modding begin... (slow at first).

The new Ex. got:

An OEM bug deflector.

Before...
explorer-brand-new.jpg

After...
explorer-deflector.jpg

The ScanGaugeII out of the Ranger.

And it also got Husky floor liners for the front seats, and cargo mat for the back.

Tomorrow she goes back to the dealer for a 2-way remote start and window tint.

EDIT: The FedEx truck just dropped off the Interceptor cross brace for my 3rd row removal. It's off to the powdercoaters!

Installed the BMC bumper protector. Here is the new style they are producing for the Explorer.

bumper-protector.jpg

I also mounted my Yaesu FT7900 faceplate to the dash with a Panavise mount.

yaesu-install.jpg

It is not hooked up though. I'm still waiting for the microphone remote mount cable I have on order, and I am still exploring (pun intended) antenna options, and speaker mounting locations.

The powdercoater got my Police Interceptor cross brace done, so I brought that home. Got some more parts on order, and the 3rd row delete will begin when they come in.

Guess I'm the only one modding his Ex this week...

Began the 3rd row seat delete. I pulled the 3rd row seats and installed the Police Interceptor cross brace. Wrapped and tucked the 3rd row seatbelts behind the rear trim panel.

rear-seat-delete-1.jpg

Took about 2 1/2 hours. Getting those huge side panels in and out is a PITA. Nice to see exactly how many panel clips the Ford assembly plant workers think are REALLY needed. Just under the rear windows, there are 3 places for panel clips. On the right side there were 2 clips installed, and on the left there was only one. Thanks a pantload, UAW. :rolleyes:

Guess I'm the only one modding his Ex this week...

You won't be the only one soon. Mine should be here in a couple weeks. I have a garage full of 'toys' awaiting its arrival. :D

DRL enabled

I got my DRL turned on for my Sport. This is not the best pic but it still looks great.

Attachments

• IMG_0090.jpg
    IMG_0090.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 605

Had some exhaust work done this weekend. Big thanks to xxghostxx for the tips. Love the sound. No rice bucket.
image_zps8df72bl6.jpg
image_zpsdalnstvs.jpg
image_zpsnwlrehow.jpg

Curt Hitch receiver and trailer wiring harness installed.

curt-hitch.jpg

explorer 2016 custom

show us your modification on your explorer 2016

show us your modification on your explorer 2016
Welcome to the Forum.:wavey:
I merged your thread with this existing one. Your question has been asked several times. In addition to this thread, there are many others in this sub forum. Just take a few minutes and scroll through it and/or use the Forum's handy 'Search' function o find specific mods. Good luck and happy motoring/modding.

Peter

Finished my rear seat delete to about the 98% level.

The "rear covers" (that's what Ford calls the cargo floor pieces) arrived today, and about 10 minutes after the BBT (Big Brown Truck) left, they were installed.

Here is the almost-finished project with a Lloyd's cargo area carpet mat on it.

rear-seat-delete-complete.jpg

I'm already diggin' that I now have a place to secure and hide the usual crap you should always have with you on the road -- tire repair kit/inflator, jumper cables, safety reflectors/flares, etc..

rear-seat-delete-3.jpg

Yes... I think Ford should make this an available, regular production option on the civilian Explorers.

I call the project 98% complete, because there are still some small things I want to do -- add some sound insulation and carpet in the area underneath the floor, add some sort of cargo tie-down hardware, etc.

I'll post more and better pics later, in the Explorer 3rd Row Seat Delete & Police Package Install thread. Unfortunately it started to rain pretty good just as I finished bolting the floor down.

Nice update removing the 3rd row.

I added blind spot mirrors to mine, yes mine has BLISS but i missed the wide view that I had on my 2013

2016 - BLISS
20160407_150530-M.jpg

vs. 2013 WIDE
20150325_142303-M.jpg

Nice update removing the 3rd row.

I added blind spot mirrors to mine, yes mine has BLISS but i missed the wide view that I had on my 2013

2016 - BLISS
20160407_150530-M.jpg
I've been using those for 50 years. One of the first things I install on all my vehicles. I put them in the same location you did.

Peter

:thumbsup::thumbsup:
Yeah, I just couldn't get into not having a wider view on the 16 w/BLISS ... I tried.
It doesn't help that I have aspherical (WIDE driver/passenger) mirrors on our VW and love them and how much we can see.

IMG_0011.jpg

My Ex has the blind spot mirrors. Don't really need them though. In the mid-'90s I heard Click & Clack, the Car Talk guys describe their way of setting up vehicle mirrors so there are no blind spots.

Basically you set up the view in the side mirrors so that there is no overlap with the view in the rearview mirror. There's no real point in seeing the truck behind you in all three mirrors, or looking at the sides of your car in the sideviews (unless you are the person who always forgets to close the fuel filler door before leaving the gas station). With the Car talk method, if you can't see it in the rear or either side mirrors, then it's either RIGHT next to your front door (put the effing cell phone down for a second and you'll see it), or it's not there at all.

It takes a little getting used to, but the only way I'll set mine up now. Gotta keep The Missus from undoing it when she drives my cars.:fire:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My Ex has the blind spot mirrors. Don't really need them though. In the mid-'90s I heard Click & Clack, the Car Talk guys describe their way of setting up vehicle mirrors so there are no blind spots.

Basically you set up the view in the side mirrors so that there is no overlap with the view in the rearview mirror. There's no real point in seeing the truck behind you in all three mirrors, or looking at the sides of your car in the sideviews (unless you are the person who always forgets to close the fuel filler door before leaving the gas station). With the Car talk method, if you can't see it in the rear or either side mirrors, then it's either RIGHT next to your front door (put the effing cell phone down for a second and you'll see it), or it's not there at all.

It takes a little getting used to, but the only way I'll set mine up now. Gotta keep The Missus from undoing it when she drives my cars.:fire:
I'm aware of that mirror setting but I'm too old school I guess plus I find them very handy when parking along a curb. The small mirrors actually let you see the bottom part of the rear wheels.

Peter

Back