Diode dynamics or DDM ultra? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Diode dynamics or DDM ultra?

croll326

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Sport
Thoughts on these? I'm not concerned with the price difference. I just want a solid kit. Do you have a wire harness?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't know what DDM Ultra is but I can confirm Diode Dynamic kits are solid, no issues, outstanding support.

I think people have either bought one or the other so nobody can do fair comparison based on having both.

I've been using DDM Kits for over 12 years with great success. I've only had 1 failure and they fully warrantied it.

I've used their normal $29.99 kits the most with no issues. Some vehicles i've put them in do require a relay harness. These kits are just a normal HID kit and do not have any power capacitors or power reserve for canbus equipped vehicles.

I've used their $119 ULTRA Canbus kits for the past 2 years with great success also. I haven't had the need to use a relay harness with these kits. They've worked great with no issues at all. Full plug-n-play. This kit has been in my explorer since last May.

They do offer other kits that are in-between those 2 I listed above. I have no experience with those kits. Judging by my experience with the kits I listed above, I wouldn't hesitate to try them out.

If you plan on using them on anything with an Auto Lights on feature, I would suggest getting a canbus kit in order to avoid any issues with a no light start-up.

Then there are TRS and morimoto kits....ugh

Thoughts on these? I'm not concerned with the price difference. I just want a solid kit. Do you have a wire harness?

I reversed my original stance on HID conversion kits for Halogen equipped vehicles.

After driving my Touareg with high quality cornering, leveling Bi-Xenons, I simply can't stand to drive my wife's Explorer at night anymore. The Halogens are borderline unsafe and an incredibly poor experience.

I ordered the 4300K kit from Diode Dynamics, with the power relay harness. $170. They seem to have the best quality kit, from the reviews I've read and the research I've performed.

Forgot to mention above.

I have the DDM Tuning Ultra Canbus kit 5000K color temp in the headlights and fog/driving lights. No relay harness was needed and the auto lights work without a glitch. $119 for the headlight kit, all plug-n-play.

Installed 5000k kit from diode dynamics. Came in plain white boxes with no instructions. They do have a YouTube video though. So far so good. Works with auto. No wire relay.

I've been using DDM Kits for over 12 years with great success. I've only had 1 failure and they fully warrantied it.

I've used their normal $29.99 kits the most with no issues. Some vehicles i've put them in do require a relay harness. These kits are just a normal HID kit and do not have any power capacitors or power reserve for canbus equipped vehicles.

I've used their $119 ULTRA Canbus kits for the past 2 years with great success also. I haven't had the need to use a relay harness with these kits. They've worked great with no issues at all. Full plug-n-play. This kit has been in my explorer since last May.

They do offer other kits that are in-between those 2 I listed above. I have no experience with those kits. Judging by my experience with the kits I listed above, I wouldn't hesitate to try them out.

If you plan on using them on anything with an Auto Lights on feature, I would suggest getting a canbus kit in order to avoid any issues with a no light start-up.

+1 on this :)

Diode dynamics still going strong. No problems in AUTO either.

+1 on the Diode - bought the 4300 kit for my '13 sport - no relay needed - very easy install.

They seem to have gotten better with time. Mine run as DRL as well and I've found that the 'glare' that was originally noticed when installed has lessened. Either the 'burn in' has reduced this or I've just gotten use to it. But I agree they're 1000 times better than the stock lights!

Just purchased a kit from Diode Dynamics. Looking forward to seeing the difference.

Hello, I don't want to thread jack but since you guys seem to know HIDs my 12 GTI has active bending bi xenon and our 11 XC 60 the X replaced also had them. Our X has HIDs stock but we are really unhappy with their comparative performance. My plans to remedy are to upgrade bulbs and or add a light bar. We're Ina fairly rural area. Are there any recommendations for upgrading OEM HIDs?

Thanks!

Hello, I don't want to thread jack but since you guys seem to know HIDs my 12 GTI has active bending bi xenon and our 11 XC 60 the X replaced also had them. Our X has HIDs stock but we are really unhappy with their comparative performance. My plans to remedy are to upgrade bulbs and or add a light bar. We're Ina fairly rural area. Are there any recommendations for upgrading OEM HIDs?

Thanks!
By "X" I'm guessing you mean the Explorer, or "Ex". The 2013 Sport did not come with OEM HID headlamps. HID headlamps were only an option on the Limited and standard on the Canadian Limited. Your Explorer should have halogen lights.

Peter

Hi yes I was referring to explorer I have a sport with projectors. I didn't know that projectors ever use halogen bulbs... Thanks for educating me! and that would explain why the light output is so disappointing.

I had some DDM kits in old vehicles of mine. I had a set for the main lowbeams, a set for the fog lights and another set for the low beams on a second car. All were from DDM.

The first set in the low beams in my main car lasted for about 8 years until I got rid of the car. They were still fine when I sold the car. However, the HID's I put in the foglights for that car lasted about 6 months before the right one completely changed color and then burnt out. it was the balast that went, not the bulb.

The set I had on my second car for the main beams was not very good either. They last about 2.5 years before they started to cut on and off randomly. It was more prevalent on the passenger side, so it seemed to be a case of both balasts just going bad.

In both cases, DDM wanted me to return the products for evaluation AT MY OWN COST before they would replace anything. I provided pictures of the foglights changing colors and they said it was obviously defective but wouldnt do anything until I returned them.

Ultimately, two of my three sets of HID lights from DDM have gone bad. Not a good track record... I have the LED package on the new Ex but if I was to do another upgrade, DDM would be one of the last places I would go to get the kit. Just my two cents.

Back