• Register Today It's free!

SPL build in progress

Reaction score
City, State
North Carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 ford explorer xlt
Finally decided to upgrade my sound system.. Again
I am by no means a professional but I've installed many system before, always learning more. Here's what I'm going with now
12" sundown NSV3, 2500 watt amp, 1000 watt amp, 4 pioneer 6x9s, 2 optima yellow tops, 250 amp alt. 1/0 Big 3 upgrade, 1/0 amp wire, 4 gauge amp wire, touchscreen Kenwood radio, 100sq ft sound deadening.
I will have pictures of everything as it goes in, and if someone more experienced than me knows much about building sub boxes please chime in I need help figuring out the port size.. Well pictures are worth 1000 words so here they are..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can google port area calculators, im currently in the process of building up my truck as well :)

i don't see any pictures??

also...regarding the dual battery setup. i have the same truck/options you have...have you looked in the engine bay on the passenger side new the firewall? I was thinking of putting a second battery there in a battery tray. it seems large enough.

You can go on youtube and look up caraudiofab he has a good video on calcutating ports and general box design. As for the firewall i havent looked for a gromet yet, but i was thinking about removing the 3rd row seats and making a false floor type of thing

Sorry everyone I will have pictures up soon. Need to upload to photo sharing site first. Been busy

Pictures

This is where I decided to put the 2nd battery. Had to relocate sonething . not sure what it was but its outta the way now
2afhqqc.jpg

4jupvr.jpg

Upgraded to a 250amp alt.
2iu4wwo.jpg

100sq ft of sound deadening
2nq8lev.jpg

sxi35f.jpg

1zguliq.jpg

4 channel amp under the floor
1238f38.jpg

1p9df9.jpg

Grounds for the amps straight to the frame
2cgfxqd.jpg

Pioneer 6x9s for doors. Barely fit. Window taps magnet when rolling down and speakers obviously don't sit flush but are tight. Door panels barely fit back on.

bhlnrc.jpg

314pfsn.jpg

And here's the monster sub that will be going in soon
vpz3hh.jpg
2i0axr4.jpg

More photos will be up as it comes together.

umyi1.jpg

153l1ko.jpg

r76ow2.jpg

5wxg6w.jpg

Now all I lack is a few coats of truck bed liner and I can test thing thing out!

Dubbed for the payoff. Got to post a video and final spl .
Greg

What's the best way to post videos on here? YouTube? Its all finished but have a few problems, 1 the port is too small so I get port noise, not too big of a deal, and 2, after listening to it for a while the amp burned up. I bought the aml used so not sure what the problem was but it burned up a transistor even though it never went into protection mode. So new transistor is on its way to fix this amp.

Oh man,that sucks! Sorry to hear it.
I have had similar problems with my install,mourned transistors tho. I built my box too big,it's sealed,so my subs have too much excursion.
And I put 6.5" coaxial in the doors and and they have vibrated the adapter plates loose. I glued them down with liquid nails.
When ingest some more money,I'm going to take some inspiration from you and put 6x9"s in their place.
Now for the video,I wouldn't know. I don't even know how to use some file hosting site.
Greg

2rwm6xj.jpg
10z4ady.jpg
11810qp.jpg

While I was waiting for each coat of paint to dry I decided to plastic dip the rims. I've always used regular plastic dip but decided to try out this new rustoleum peel coat that's gloss. I didn't like how it came out, very watery thin coats. Took about 8 coats to get solid and still not 100% but still looks good in the end. Took 3 cans
rr5yq0.jpg
op8u3o.jpg

16hu2iv.jpg
vqsj6d.jpg

Back