Drove a '16 MKX - Compare to my '15 Explorer XLT | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Drove a '16 MKX - Compare to my '15 Explorer XLT

mmartin028

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Nashville, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer XLT
So I had the opportunity to have a 2016 Lincoln MKX as a rental for the day while my Ex was at the dealer. Although some of the things in the MKX were nice, I still prefer my '15 Explorer and I'm so glad to have it back.

Some things I liked about the MKX.

1. Engine - I believe it was the 3.7 with 303 HP. It definitely had more punch than the 3.5 that's in mine. However, mine is 4WD and I think the MKX was 2WD. So that may have made a difference. If the Livernois tuner can bump my 3.5 up to 330hp, I'd be a happy camper.

2. Controls - I did like how the climate controls (buttons) were in easy reach on the center console.

3. More left foot leg room - There's more leg room to stretch your left leg out as opposed to the Explorer's dead pedal that gets in the way.

Some things I didn't like about the MKX.

1. No Shift Knob - Why is this a trend now? This is my biggest gripe. It actually took me a few seconds to see that the Park, Reverse, Neutral, Drive, and Sport buttons were on the trim of the dash. Really? I thought that the shift knob on the Chrysler 200 was bad. But buttons on the dash? It definitely makes a simple 3 point turn quite awkward. Plus, I like resting my hand on the top of a shifter while driving. No can do on the MKX. I hope this is just a fad with manufacturers.

2. 12V Plug Outlet Location - This one took some time. I needed to charge my phone and I looked everywhere for a 12V plug outlet. There are none in either of the two center console compartments. There was one on the back of the console for rear passengers, but that's not convenient when charging my phone up front. Finally after almost giving up, I saw one tucked under the dash but behind the center console. You actually need a flashlight to see where it is.

3. Infotainment Screen Angle - The MyFord Touch screen sits at a 45 degree or so angle and the reflection is really bad. There were times that I couldn't even read the screen because of the sunlight hitting it. Sure, the angle is cool looking in the marketing photos, but in real life, it's quite a hindrance.

As far as the ride and comfort. They're pretty much dead even. Road and wind noise is comparable to the two....and riding over bumps are pretty much the same as well.

I know this forum is all about Explorers, but I just wanted to point out that even though Lincoln is their "luxury" brand, driving one will make you fall in love with your Ford all over again. Maybe Ford should start using Matthew McConaughey in their commercials instead.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for the comparison. We've been thinking about the MKX as a car for my wife. I love my Explorer and glad to see it compares well.:)

Thanks for the comparison. We've been thinking about the MKX as a car for my wife. I love my Explorer and glad to see it compares well.:)
Did you ever try to 'Price & Build' one? Just about every thing is an option and the cost quickly adds up.

Peter

I don't want to talk you out of getting the MKX for your wife. I would just suggest that you take it for a long test drive (or rent one for a day) to make sure you and her like it.

I thought for sure that I was going to purchase a Jeep Grand Cherokee, but then did a 5 hour test drive of one at an Avis Sales/Rental place (it was free). That test drive convinced me that the Jeep just wasn't for me.

Did you ever try to 'Price & Build' one? Just about every thing is an option and the cost quickly adds up.

Peter

I never did a Price & Build for an MKX, but what you're saying doesn't surprise me.

Back