Sport or Platinum!!!! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Sport or Platinum!!!!

We have both a 16 Limited, and a 16 Sport. I only wish that I had seen the Platinum, because we would have 2 of them. The Limited with all the options added, wasn't that much less than the Platinum, and I didn't realize that something so simple as rain sensing wipers and auto dimming headlamps were not on the Sport, even with the better package group. Had the salesman pointed out how close the Limited would be in price to the Platinum, there is no question that I would have spent the extra money. I will buy from the dealership again, but I won't deal with this salesman again. He is more an order taker than a salesman, because he doesn't sell or educate the buyer as to what is available. A good salesman gives you all the choices, explains the differences, and then lets you the customer decide.
I didn't buy the Sport from the same dealership, and only bought it because I needed a car quickly, and got the best trade for my old car. When the new generation Explorers come out, I will probably trade it. I wish that Ford would make available dealer installed options for the Sport that are available on the Limited, but not on the Sport.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Junkmann2, you could have also done your homework on the ford web site by comparing the build'

Yes, I could have, but ........ I trusted the salesman.. foolish on my part. I was given the impression by the salesman that the Platinum was a big amount of money difference. Live and learn. We had an XLT ordered, and then upgraded to the Limited because of the movable pedals.

Yup, Platinum wasnt even on my radar. I had a sport before, so I was intending to go the same route this time. It was by pure chance I even looked at the Platinum. Sales people at the dealers almost never research the different builds of the lineup. Only 1 in 20 buyers has even a little knowledge, and sales people are encouraged to sell something in their inventory. A custom build is really not advantageous to the dealerships.

My wife and I just bought the 2016 Sport and are loving it. I have a Platinum F150 and we talked about getting the Platinum for the Explorer but hers is pretty much loaded, no park assist though. She also wanted it in Ruby Red and it was really hard to find one...not to mention spending the extra money for a few more features. The Sport will do anything we want it to do and it is still REALLY nice inside!

My wife and I just bought the 2016 Sport and are loving it. I have a Platinum F150 and we talked about getting the Platinum for the Explorer but hers is pretty much loaded, no park assist though. She also wanted it in Ruby Red and it was really hard to find one...not to mention spending the extra money for a few more features. The Sport will do anything we want it to do and it is still REALLY nice inside!
Welcome to the Forum. :wavey:

Peter

Got a 16 sport and traded the 14 sport for a 16 Platinum, the rack isnt as tight lock to lock :-(, handling isn't horrible bu not anywhere near the sport.

Strut Brace on Platinum or on Sport only??

Does the Platinum have the front strut cross-brace that the Sport does? Could one add it?

I can pop the hood on both in a couple days when this snow melts...everything is iced over

I can pop the hood on both in a couple days when this snow melts...everything is iced over
Looks like it's time to update your profile.

Peter

Front Strut Brace IS Present in Platinum

I drove a 2016 Platinum tonight and popped the hood on it and the Sport that was on the showroom floor. Both have the same front strut cross-brace to increase body rigidity and reduce roll. Sweet!

I just recently purchased the 2016 sport and if I were to do it again I would have gone platinum. I picked it up with every feature except for the park assist as this is something I would never use. However when I compare my sport to the platinum I'm really getting allot vs the price difference.

Dont get me wrong I absolutely love the sport and in 3 weeks I've already put 2k miles on it going on a road trip with my family. It handles great and had the opportunity to drive some fun mountain roads in Flagstaff AZ. Was going to try and talk the wife into the platinum when we trade her car in later this year but she wants a fusion (not going to argue if it saves me money).

I just recently purchased the 2016 sport and if I were to do it again I would have gone platinum. I picked it up with every feature except for the park assist as this is something I would never use. However when I compare my sport to the platinum I'm really getting allot vs the price difference.

Dont get me wrong I absolutely love the sport and in 3 weeks I've already put 2k miles on it going on a road trip with my family. It handles great and had the opportunity to drive some fun mountain roads in Flagstaff AZ. Was going to try and talk the wife into the platinum when we trade her car in later this year but she wants a fusion (not going to argue if it saves me money).

Get the Fusion Sport with the ecoboost 2.7 and awd with about the same HP as the sport/platinum (325/350).

That is going to be one hell of a ride to drive!!

I'm starting to rethink my decision to get another Sport vs. getting the Platinum. The fully loaded Sport that I want is is @ $1K less than the Platinum. Seems like a better deal to get the Platinum even though I prefer the look of the Sport.

Platinum

I kept coming up with almost the same cost and seeing there were things in the Platinum I couldn't get in the Sport, so I went Platinum. Very happy with my decision.

I'm starting to rethink my decision to get another Sport vs. getting the Platinum. The fully loaded Sport that I want is is @ $1K less than the Platinum. Seems like a better deal to get the Platinum even though I prefer the look of the Sport.

Only $1k difference?
I'm seeing about $7k difference in MSRP.
Are the dealers discounting the Platinum that much and if so, what's the point of offering a Sport?

I think the Sport should be able to be equipped with the same options as the platinum. I'll be ordering a Sport when my current lease is up and I'll be checking just about every box. However, I like the look of the sport, not the platinum. So i can't get the look of the sport, and all of the features of the platinum. I just think thats stupid. If I'm ordering the Explorer, I should be able to add the features I want. (When I spec out the sport I want I'm around $52,000. So I get screwed I feel, But I still want the sport for the look...

Only $1k difference?
I'm seeing about $7k difference in MSRP.
Are the dealers discounting the Platinum that much and if so, what's the point of offering a Sport?

I have the Sport loaded up with just about every option - that difference is at MSRP.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have the Sport loaded up with just about every option - that difference is at MSRP.

Ah, adaptive cruise, panoramic, dvd headrests...yes that gets you into the Platinum territory and makes sense to just buy the Platinum.

Back