2015 Ford Explorer XLT towing info | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2015 Ford Explorer XLT towing info

angiewheeler

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer
I am looking at getting a 2015 Explorer that has 10,000 miles on it and has a great price. However it does not have a factory tow package. My boat weighs about 3200 pounds. I know I need a class three hitch, aux trans cooler and wiring harness. How much would I be able to tow then and how much do you think it would cost? Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I was just looking at the towing capacity of my 2016 Sport, and the book said 5000 pounds. I would assume that you shouldn't have any problem towing a 3200 pound boat. The one thing that my '16 Sport has, that I am not familiar with is "sway control". We also have a '16 Limited with the class III tow package, and that car, there is no mention of "sway control". I will have to do some research to learn about that feature.
Also, I couldn't find any adapter plug from the 7 pin to 4 pin in the car, and I haven't figured out how the cover comes off to expose the trailer hitch, so I have no idea how it is configured. Also, does the factory hitch have a built in brake controller, or do I need to add that to the car. Not trying to hijack your post, but hoping that the eyes on this post are also able to answer some related questions.
thanks Junk

Hi

I have a related question. I have a 2015 4 WD Explorer with the factory tow package and a Class III hitch, which the owner's manual says is good up to 5000 lbs. However, my new boat and trailer weigh in at around 6000 lbs. Does anybody know if this towing package would handle that weight, driving slowly and steadily about 60 miles on the interstate?

Thanks

CW

It wouldn't be safe, and it would be illegal to exceed the manufacturers specifications.

towing

That's what I afraid of. Thanks for the reply.

Back