Platinum Choice: Black / Black or Silver / Black? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Platinum Choice: Black / Black or Silver / Black?

Which color for my 2016 Explorer Platinum?

• Total voters

pwscott

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Windsor County, VT
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Silver Explorer ST
Callsign
N3KDJ
Interested in feedback here....while color is a personal choice, and my Dad, who started a dealership in 1929, used to say to never offer your opinion on color choices,...I'm trying to decide between two colors in a 2016 Platinum Explorer.

My first choice was a Sport with Silver paint and Black Interior...love all the black out and the aggressive looking grill, but I promised myself ALL the cool options on this purchase....I want the Auto-Park, I want the Auto-High-Beams and I definitely want the Active Motion seats for my 6 hour drives to Vermont from PA....so Platinum it is.

Then it's down to just color as I know I don't want to pay for bucket seats or a console in the 2nd row...I think Black looks really good with the brushed aluminum looking highlights of the Platinum....In Silver, I think you lose that contrast that a Sport has with black trim on Ingot Silver....So I'm thinking Black on Black in the Platinum.
I've had black cars before and they're notoriously hard to keep clean and they can be hot in summer parking lots, but I think it looks better with the Platinum trim.
Interested to see poll results and hear others thoughts.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I agree that the silver looks washed out with all the brushed aluminum on the platinum. The black is gorgeous, but hard to keep clean. That is why I went with Magnetic :D But between black and silver I vote black all the way!

If the choice is close go for the silver. Appearance care is much easier and the silver will look clean even if it is mildly dirty.

Choice Made

I looked at both...really liked the brushed trim against Black and went with Black exterior and interior. Loved the way that engine feels compared with the 2012 Limited I'm trading!

If the choice is close go for the silver. Appearance care is much easier and the silver will look clean even if it is mildly dirty.
I agree with that. I had a silver Highlander and had a White Platinum Tri-Coat Explorer and now a Crystal Champagne MKT. The lighter colours definitely stay 'clean looking' longer. Thinking of a White Gold for the next Explorer.

Peter

Back