best scan tool for the money | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

best scan tool for the money

It should be able to reset. I don't know if OBDLink reads ABS but I know ForScan does.

I just looked ForScan up at the APP store. It is called "ForScan Lite" there and sells for $4.99. It does work with I Phones and I Pod Touches. It only works for a few makes of cars though, like Ford, Lincoln, Mercury and Mazda vehicles. I kind of wanted a scan tool that can read all makes of vehicles and one that can reset CEL and ABS codes.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just looked ForScan up at the APP store. It is called "ForScan Lite" there and sells for $4.99. It does work with I Phones and I Pod Touches. It only works for a few makes of cars though, like Ford, Lincoln, Mercury and Mazda vehicles. I kind of wanted a scan tool that can read all makes of vehicles and one that can reset CEL and ABS codes.

Ya the app that comes with the device does OBDII of ALL vehicles 1993+ Look up "OBDLink" in the App Store.

ForScan is for For(d)Scan products only and gives you OBDII and Ford specific options.

Ya the app that comes with the device does OBDII of ALL vehicles 1993+ Look up "OBDLink" in the App Store.

ForScan is for For(d)Scan products only and gives you OBDII and Ford specific options.

I already downloaded the OBDLInk to my Ipod, but it doesn't appear to be what I am looking for since it doesn't read or reset ABS codes. Thanks!

Thanks. I might get that one. Can you tell me where you got you coupon from for the scan tool? Was it from a Harbor Freight catalog ad or an online coupon? Thanks again.

No problem. I just find 20% off coupons all the time for HF, but the retailmenot website should have one. Or in their catalog.

I already downloaded the OBDLInk to my Ipod, but it doesn't appear to be what I am looking for since it doesn't read or reset ABS codes. Thanks!

So you're needing ABS codes on a non-Ford vehicle? Because ForScan will read and reset ABS on Ford products.

No problem. I just find 20% off coupons all the time for HF, but the retailmenot website should have one. Or in their catalog.

Ok thanks!

So you're needing ABS codes on a non-Ford vehicle? Because ForScan will read and reset ABS on Ford products.

I wanted a scan tool that can be used on most makes of vehicles, not just Ford's, so I can help out other people I know. I also wanted one that can read, diagnose and reset codes.

Ok if you want to diagnose more than just Ford via ForScan you kinda need this:

http://www.harborfreight.com/automo...ive-diagnostic-and-analysis-system-62385.html

LOL, not a chance in hell! Not for a grand I won't. I'm probably going to go with the one from HF that sells for $134. It does CEL's and ABS code readings and resets them as well on quite a few makes of vehicles. The one below.

http://www.harborfreight.com/can-ob....com/forums/showthread.php?p=3524616&posted=1

LOL, not a chance in hell! Not for a grand I won't. I'm probably going to go with the one from HF that sells for $134. It does CEL's and ABS code readings and resets them as well on quite a few makes of vehicles. The one below.

http://www.harborfreight.com/can-ob....com/forums/showthread.php?p=3524616&posted=1

I've used the one I have that you mentioned on many many different brands of vehicles, domestic and imports, and it all works the same as long as there is an OBD-II port. Works good enough for me

Worth it considering it does keys and remotes for most vehicles. :D

Kinda sucks you can't get the ABS one with a color screen. Now it may be able to read ABS but can it service ABS? With Forscan I can cycle the ABS pump manually. heh.

I purchased a Snap on Solus pro for 200.00 from a mechanic that just retired who posted it for sale on craigslist. The software was updated to 2013 with american and foreign made car brands. It came with the case, charger and all accessories. The owner was a great guy and it was not stolen. If you search hard enough, you will find what your looking for within your budget. It took me over a year to come across this deal, and people that know snapon product can appreciate the deal I got on this.

good luck,
bizzs

I and people that know snapon product can appreciate the deal I got on this.

good luck,
bizzs

I'd say you got a great deal for a Snap-on scan tool. I know a younger guy that works at the gym I go to, his father who is an Engineer with the local Moog Products company and a back yard motor-head and has a Snap-on scanner that he said cost him $4500.

Kinda sucks you can't get the ABS one with a color screen. Now it may be able to read ABS but can it service ABS? With Forscan I can cycle the ABS pump manually. heh.

The HF one in the link says it can read and reset ABS codes in vehicles made in the US and Canada.

I've used the one I have that you mentioned on many many different brands of vehicles, domestic and imports, and it all works the same as long as there is an OBD-II port. Works good enough for me

Thanks, it will probably be the one I go with.

The HF one in the link says it can read and reset ABS codes in vehicles made in the US and Canada.

I've used it on Subarus and Toyotas before if that makes a difference

Ya, that's not the same as running test procedures.

I'm just trying to say that for the price of that you could buy a used laptop on ebay and a the USB OBDLink thus have tons of programs out there to choose from.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ya, that's not the same as running test procedures.

I'm just trying to say that for the price of that you could buy a used laptop on ebay and a the USB OBDLink thus have tons of programs out there to choose from.

Thanks, I'll keep the laptop idea in mind. Don't have one currently.

Back