2016 Explorer Sport Road Noise GONG!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2016 Explorer Sport Road Noise GONG!!

edit

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Ford Raptor
We have had our 2016 Explorer sport for about a month now. We live in Michigan which means our freeways can be bumpy. We have noticed a very loud "gong" noise when hitting bumps that extend completely across the lane of the highway. The noise is similar to hitting a hollow metal pipe. It is definitely coming from the rear part of the car and it is very loud, reverberating through the whole interior. We took it into the dealer and drove in the car with both the salesman and the mechanic. Both acknowledged hearing the noise clearly. They kept the car to check it out and we got a return call stating they drove another sport and heard the same noise. They informed us it was just a normal noise for the car. Not trusting them, I plan on test driving another 2016 Sport as soon as I can at another dealership in order to confirm this. I will be shocked if this noise is actually present in the car I test drive as I cannot believe a noise this loud would not have been discovered in the testing of the design. Till I do this, I was wondering if anyone has encountered a similar noise in their 2016 Sport?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You say similar to hitting a hollow metal pipe, so first thing that comes to mind is the Sport's low, X-shaped rear exhaust pipes. Can't believe they'd bottom out on ordinary road bumps, but could you possibly be hitting those? Any signs of dings or scuffs on them?

We have had our 2016 Explorer sport for about a month now. We live in Michigan which means our freeways can be bumpy. We have noticed a very loud "gong" noise when hitting bumps that extend completely across the lane of the highway. The noise is similar to hitting a hollow metal pipe. It is definitely coming from the rear part of the car and it is very loud, reverberating through the whole interior. We took it into the dealer and drove in the car with both the salesman and the mechanic. Both acknowledged hearing the noise clearly. They kept the car to check it out and we got a return call stating they drove another sport and heard the same noise. They informed us it was just a normal noise for the car. Not trusting them, I plan on test driving another 2016 Sport as soon as I can at another dealership in order to confirm this. I will be shocked if this noise is actually present in the car I test drive as I cannot believe a noise this loud would not have been discovered in the testing of the design. Till I do this, I was wondering if anyone has encountered a similar noise in their 2016 Sport?
Welcome to the Forum.:wavey:
Your profile shows you have a 2014 Raptor. Please update or add the 2016 Sport to your signature so we can accurately respond to future posts. Thanks.

Peter

I don't have your noise but after each start up, when begin to drive (release brake, car began to roll 5 mph maybe) I hear some sort of noise not quite of clunking but something engaged mechanically. I have been assume it was PTU but no clue. If it gets worse, I will be worry then

I don't have your noise but after each start up, when begin to drive (release brake, car began to roll 5 mph maybe) I hear some sort of noise not quite of clunking but something engaged mechanically. I have been assume it was PTU but no clue. If it gets worse, I will be worry then

ABS self check/activation. Many posts on this.

Back