• Register Today It's free!

Squeaky Power Moonroof Shade

NJExplorerFan

Reaction score
City, State
New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Limited
For those that have the dual panel moonroof, I was curious if any of you have had any issues with the power moonroof shade squeaking when it opens/closes? My Explorer is in Ford service today for a few things but that's one of the items I wanted them to look it. It was very quiet when I first brought the truck home but as I opened/closed it more and more, it started squealing more and more. It's exactly a year old now with approx. 13K miles.

Does Ford not put enough lube/grease from the factory? What's the deal?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had the same exact issue got them to address it over 4 times ...dealer would fix it would be fine for 3 days then the sound would come back .. Got tired and traded it in and elected not to get the pano roof for my 2016

4 dealer stops in 2 years when the sunroof got stuck on the Edge. Squeaking noises from 14xlt and I was afraid to open it up. Got the 16XP sport fully loaded but refused to get sunroof because I am keeping it long term and did not want multiple visits to dealership for the same issue that can not be resolved. Dealer would keep my car for a few days to oil the sunroof and kept giving me horrible mazda 3 dirty car. No leaks so far on EX 16 sport.

2015 XLT here with same problem.

Quiet when I first got it, now squeaks. I've seen other posts on this as well and, based on the responses, it doesn't seem like a dealer visit is going to help much apparently. If they're going to lube it up only to have it happen again, no point.

You're not alone, Explorer Fan.

I also have the exact same issue. Very quiet until about 17,000 miles and now it's squeaky. I'll go back to Ford's general QA/QC procedures, not good.

Yes, mine squeaks. I'd love to find the perfect spot to put a little graphite or oil.

Wow, seems like I'm not alone on this. The dealer did lube things up and it's slightly better, but still squeaks. My service advisor contacted Ford to see if there's any solution so I hope to hear back from them real soon.

It's such a shame that little things like this and all the other common issues that people on here complain about is still evident. I haven't bought a new Ford for 12 years now and I thought things got better but apparently they haven't. I guess I kinda understand why people give up on the domestic brands and gravitate towards the imports. Maybe I should have considered one of the Honda or Toyota SUV's :(

Glad I'm not the only one with this issue. I'm disappointed to see there is no long term fix for this simple yet extremely annoying squeak. If I were in s position to swap vehicles I would but can't at this time.

Does anyone know if the headliner needs to be dropped to lube it properly?

Wow, seems like I'm not alone on this. The dealer did lube things up and it's slightly better, but still squeaks. My service advisor contacted Ford to see if there's any solution so I hope to hear back from them real soon.

It's such a shame that little things like this and all the other common issues that people on here complain about is still evident. I haven't bought a new Ford for 12 years now and I thought things got better but apparently they haven't. I guess I kinda understand why people give up on the domestic brands and gravitate towards the imports. Maybe I should have considered one of the Honda or Toyota SUV's :(
I can assure you that there are those who also 'gravitated' from the imports to the domestic brands for the same reasons. All vehicles seem to have their own little 'quirks' and/or issues. Just check out their respective forums. I moved from 10 years with Toyota to Ford and haven't regretted it one bit.

Peter

I can assure you that there are those who also 'gravitated' from the imports to the domestic brands for the same reasons. All vehicles seem to have their own little 'quirks' and/or issues. Just check out their respective forums. I moved from 10 years with Toyota to Ford and haven't regretted it one bit.

Peter

I agree that all vehicles have issues. They are just machines. But in plain numbers, the imports still beat the domestics in having a lower number of issues. It's just facts from historical data. I am a die hard Ford fan for life and I support American companies so I'm not going anywhere for now.

I just got a 2015 Explorer Limited and having the same issue. The sunroof shade squeaks when closing it. It never did that until 3 days after buying the car. Dealership wants me to go drop it off for days and they will give me a rental in the meantime, which I'm guessing I'd have to pay for. But from what y'all are saying, they will probably not do much to fix it. I keep wanting to find the exact spot of the squeak and add some sil glyde there. It only seems to happen in left side of the roof and closer to when the shade is closing over the front sunroof window. Very annoying squeak! :banghead:

I just got a 2015 Explorer Limited and having the same issue. The sunroof shade squeaks when closing it. It never did that until 3 days after buying the car. Dealership wants me to go drop it off for days and they will give me a rental in the meantime, which I'm guessing I'd have to pay for. But from what y'all are saying, they will probably not do much to fix it. I keep wanting to find the exact spot of the squeak and add some sil glyde there. It only seems to happen in left side of the roof and closer to when the shade is closing over the front sunroof window. Very annoying squeak! :banghead:
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
You may or may not have to pay for the rental. Why not ask? Ford does not provide rentals even for new vehicles. A dealer who does, is doing it at their expense.
I just leave my shade open all the time and have done so on my last 3.
Please complete your registration by adding the 'Required' "Trim Level" (Limited) to your profile so it appears in the margin. That can be useful info to have at times. Thank you

Peter

My 2015 Sport has been suffering from a very loud squeak from the sunshade. Luckily I keep mine open most of the time, but it is still irritating.

Today I lubed the ends of the roller with both synthetic grease and spray lubricant. It made it much improved but there is still a noticeable squeak. Does anyone have any experience fixing this, or is anyone more familiar with the sunshade roller assembly?

Just recently got my 17 explorer but with 12k miles on the odo, my shade is quiet.

This is the first Ford I have ever owned in my life. I bought my 2013 Explorer XLT new and had the same issue after about two months. Every time I brought it in for service (oil changes etc) I asked them to look at the moon roof as well. They were too busy and once lubed it and it was quiet for a couple of days and started up again. Now it does not open or close at all.
I had a terrible experience refinancing the vehicle when my lease came up and hate the thought of having to return to the dealership for anything.
Sad to I say I have had too many problems to ever consider another Ford. My wife and I had a series of Chrysler/Dodge minivans with no problems on all but one. The one issue we had was fixed right away with zero cost to us.
Time to move past Ford

Welcome to the Forum Sean.:wave:
When you say it won't open or close, are you referring to the shade or the moonroof? Both are controlled by their own motors. Fuse #8 in the engine bay fuse box is for the moonroof and fuse #38 in the cabin fuse box might be for the shade. All the Manual says is "Moonroof" in addition to the Auto Diming Rearview Mirror.

Peter

This is the first Ford I have ever owned in my life. I bought my 2013 Explorer XLT new and had the same issue after about two months. Every time I brought it in for service (oil changes etc) I asked them to look at the moon roof as well. They were too busy and once lubed it and it was quiet for a couple of days and started up again. Now it does not open or close at all.
I had a terrible experience refinancing the vehicle when my lease came up and hate the thought of having to return to the dealership for anything.
Sad to I say I have had too many problems to ever consider another Ford. My wife and I had a series of Chrysler/Dodge minivans with no problems on all but one. The one issue we had was fixed right away with zero cost to us.
Time to move past Ford
Welcome to the Forum Sean.:wave:
When you say it won't open or close, are you referring to the shade or the moonroof? Both are controlled by their own motors. Fuse #8 in the engine bay fuse box is for the moonroof and fuse #38 in the cabin fuse box might be for the shade. All the Manual says is "Moonroof" in addition to the Auto Diming Rearview Mirror.

Peter
Thank you Peter
The shad works and the moonroof is sporatic. I had the tilt open and it would not close. actually no response from either moonroof control button options. I set an appointment with the dealer which was two days out. The night before the appointment I checked the fuse and ok. Then I reset the sync (hate doing this and having to reprogram stuff after) nothing. Then an hour later I went out and restarted the truck and tried and it worked.
so i cancelled the appointment. Later in the week I tried to open it and nothing - no repsonse at all. It looks like i will just have to bring it in for service.

I am also having this issue . Recently purchased a 2015 limited with only 34k . The sun shade is making a squeeking popping noise when moving from the drivers side rear .Perhaps at the roller . Anyone had any luck with this

Back