My Explorer Left The Factory Missing Something... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My Explorer Left The Factory Missing Something...

TechGuru

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 XLS 4X4 4.0L FLEX
...a 4x4 emblem...so I installed one:

dpy03o.jpg

:D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The bumper?

^ The 4x4 badge

Looks great! I have contemplated doing this to mine, using the 4th gen badge but I never put stickers on paint, it's sort of a rule. Glass only for me. This is coming from someone who used two bumper stickers to keep a drooping headliner up. That actually looked good.

I picked up a 'Premier' badge off a Mounty a while back. I'll have the only Premier XLT that I know of.

All sorts of stuff at the wrecking yard.

All sorts of stuff at the wrecking yard.

They are a ton of fun, and you can get great deals.

It sucks when you see this though:

kEIkkc.jpg

MvOF8L.jpg

Funny on the FlexFuel badge. Back when our 3rd gens were made, the car companies didn't think it was hip enough to warrant a badge, yet! Does having a FlexFuel vehicle grant us the right to park in those annoying "fuel efficient only parking spots"? Probably not. Haha

Funny on the FlexFuel badge. Back when our 3rd gens were made, the car companies didn't think it was hip enough to warrant a badge, yet! Does having a FlexFuel vehicle grant us the right to park in those annoying "fuel efficient only parking spots"? Probably not. Haha

They should have. I remember 2002 Taurus's having a leaf between the fender and the door.

That reminds me. Need to find a LEV badge. Lol. I read somewhere these met low emissions vehicle requirements.

That reminds me. Need to find a LEV badge. Lol. I read somewhere these met low emissions vehicle requirements.

I believe it! I counted at least 2 cats and 4 O2 sensors when I looked under it.

^ e. This is coming from someone who used two bumper stickers to keep a drooping headliner up. That actually looked good.

I'm giving my age away a bit, but I use to have a bumper sticker on my car decades ago that read the following: "Gas, grass or ass", "no one rides for free"! :D Ah, the good old days!

My 2005 Explorer V-6 4.0L gas engine only has 2 Cat's. Are 3 Cat's just for the Flex Fuel models?

I think you're mistaken the 3rd CAT for a muffler or someone removed it.

2v9vyht.jpg

My 2005 Explorer V-6 4.0L gas engine only has 2 Cat's. Are 3 Cat's just for the Flex Fuel models?

I have the same as yours, XLT Flex 4.0 but only remember seeing two cats. I'll check again, with the above illustration in mind. The two I saw were on the opposite side of one another, so I may have missed the one closer to the muffler. Does the last one have O2 sensors around it? The two I saw had two each. They were Bosch, are those OEM for that year?

I'm giving my age away a bit, but I use to have a bumper sticker on my car decades ago that read the following: "Gas, grass or ass", "no one rides for free"! :D Ah, the good old days!

Haha that's great!

...a 4x4 emblem...so I installed one:

dpy03o.jpg

:D

Tech, I've been missing one of those for a long time, where did you get it? I'm hoping it's not "wrecking yard" since the nearest one to me is over 70 miles away.

Tech, I've been missing one of those for a long time, where did you get it? I'm hoping it's not "wrecking yard" since the nearest one to me is over 70 miles away.

PM of my secret source sent, lol.

I cut and paste the description from your pm, sent through my secret source, mentioned on my pm to you, already ordered for 10 bucks, including shipping. thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does having a FlexFuel vehicle grant us the right to park in those annoying "fuel efficient only parking spots"? Probably not. Haha

Well, since using that E85 apparently gives you worse gas mileage than regular gasoline, I'd go with "no" as well. :D

Back