Aftermarket wheels | Page 24 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Aftermarket wheels

For my part, I think 22" wheels on a crossover that wants to look like an SUV, look ridiculous. A thin rubber band of tire does not fit an crossover/SUV's image or function. 20" is more than sufficient.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

For my part, I think 22" wheels on a crossover that wants to look like an SUV, look ridiculous. A thin rubber band of tire does not fit an crossover/SUV's image or function. 20" is more than sufficient.
I agree to a point. I wouldn't go as far as saying they are "ridiculous" but it isn't "my cup of tea" either. Speaking of wheels, I'm just leaving to have my 18" Winter wheels swapped back to the OEM 20" wheels.

Peter

Rims are Velgen VMB5 ($1900 shipped) Ask for Scott, he's the owner
20x10.5"
Center bore 73.1
45 mm offset
I went with the matte black finish

Tires
Parade Spec X ($850 shipped and installed, mounted + road hazard program from local Discount Tire)
295/45/20 (hugs the road so good, I'm lowered as well)
0 rubbing, no modification, would like a spacer in rear. Alignment still with in factory specs

Did you install spacers yet?

Did you install spacers yet?

Trying to find the right specs for studs right now. I am going with 10mm on the rears and 5mm on front. I have the spacers, test fitted and fits good. Just not too sure on the stud length on the rears.

I currently have found factory specs from chatting with someone from Autozone: http://www.autozone.com/suspension-...-5l-sfi-dohc/428356_6739_20310/?checkfit=true

Knurl Diameter:0.55
Overall Length (in):2.2
Package Quantity:10
Quick-Start Nose: No
Shoulder Length (in):0.5
Stud Material:Steel
Thread Direction: Right Hand Thread
Thread Size:1/2-20
Underhead Length:2.2
Wheel Stud Style: Serrated w/o Cliphead

I called ARP today, however he didnt know what factory specs were. So ill be calling them tomorrow and seeing what inventory they have that may fit. I may have founds some on summit racing website, just want to be sure.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/arp-100-7722/overview/

Oops, my bad!
Looks like I need glasses! Did not see that 'or' in your tire size choice description.

okay I have been reading a lot and these are the wheels Im looking at. I have the 16 explorer sport

http://www.hrewheels.com/wheels/series-s2/s200

Now I think i might have to get these made and Im very unsure of what offset to get and what tire size I should use. Im seeing that 3% variance to not mess up the AWD system and I obviously dont want to rub. I looked at the willtheyfit.com and if this is right is this "aggressive" enough or does anyone have a better suggestion.

275/40/20 or 275/45/20 with the rims 20x9.5 offset (+35)

thank you in advance!

Hi guys, just want to share this.

20160404_122414_zpsioyfuobr.jpg

20160404_122327_zpswye0cgco.jpg

20160404_122340_zpsebbdgcr4.jpg

Aftermarket Wheels and TPMS

Hello, I just bought a 2015 Explorer Limited, and I'm considering aftermarket wheels in the future. I plan on keeping the stock size of 255/50/20, but I have read that the stock TPMS sensors may not work with aftermarket wheels.

Has anyone gone aftermarket, and if so, what is needed to prevent the TPMS from malfunctioning? I'd like to retain the feature. Thanks!

Hello, I just bought a 2015 Explorer Limited, and I'm considering aftermarket wheels in the future. I plan on keeping the stock size of 255/50/20, but I have read that the stock TPMS sensors may not work with aftermarket wheels.

Has anyone gone aftermarket, and if so, what is needed to prevent the TPMS from malfunctioning? I'd like to retain the feature. Thanks!
Using the Forum's handy 'Search' feature I found this 23 page thread and merged yours with it. I see no reason why the OEM TPMS will not work with new wheels unless the valve stems get damaged in the removal process. There are threads on TPMS as well.

Peter

Got mine on amazon, however I paid $7.75 at the time ... now they want $30+. Ridiculous how much the price has changed.

These are the same ones they will sell you at discount tire etc.

http://www.amazon.com/Schrader-2031...&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00

Thanks so much for the replies, I really appreciate it!! This is a great forum, and I'm glad I found it!

I bought Uni-sensor TPMS stems and had no problem at all. In fact, my 2012 Explorer automatically sync'ed with the Uni-Sensor stems.

Deewan, do you have a part number for the Uni-Sensors?

guys I called my dealer and got the FOMOCO part #. Of course he quoted me 98.00 each for them and I politely said Hmmm No but THX. Bennie gave me a good quote as well from levitown ( super nice guy). thought what heck and Jumped on Fleabay(ebay) and found FMCO partnumber new from here in states ( not a knock off) for 11. each. yes $18.00 Not a bad gig .. so for less than 100 for all four. I havent yet put them in the Fuel access wheels but I have no doubt they will be fine.

Deewan, do you have a part number for the Uni-Sensors?

I don't have a part number. I ordered them with my new wheels and they came installed. Sorry

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Where is a good place to start looking for some new wheels? I have checked out Tirerack, Discount Tire a couple others that were listed on this thread. Didn't really see anything I just had to have. Right now I would like to keep 20s on it and I prefer something black or in gun metal. If that helps any. FWIW I checked with HRE, I have always loved their wheels and I knew they are expensive, but I didn't think they would be $7k expensive.

Back