High Mileage SOHC's Explorers | Page 19 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

High Mileage SOHC's Explorers

Drive it til the wheels fall off

424,000 miles, and still going!!!

Mr. Alligator
1997 Explorer

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

424,000 miles, and still going!!!

Mr. Alligator
1997 Explorer

On the original timing chain components??

Granted the rest of the motor is pretty bulletproof except for that MAJOR downfall..

And when the wheels fall off.....

Robman,

Yes, except that I have replaced the two "hydraulic" tensioners, and the primary chain tensioner. The real issue I have is with balancer chain... It rattles audibly after warm starts. I can depress the accelerator and then crank the engine for a few seconds in this situation. Engine does not start, so this may operate A like a pre-oiler. Prevents audible rattle.

Drive carefully and pay attention to engine.

And change oil every 3,000 miles.

And when that dang balancer chain clatters through the lower half of the engine, will have to make a decision about vehicle or engine replacement. If it got 30 miles to the gallon, the choice would be easy.

Good luck with your Ford.

Mr. Alligator

2001 eddy. Has 202,000 miles.

Bought with 70,000 ten years ago. Since then replaced the thermostat, drive shaft, front brakes, four sets of tires and currently working on back brakes and possible the Torque converter clutch solenoid.

06- 171,000 miles, still runs strong, but needs lots of TLC. Engine tick noise, tranny slip the usual old age problems.

134k on my 2000 Explorer, only use Full synthetic oil and good ford motorcraft filters, use to use Purolators but found these are much better, after chking oil, its still like new after 1000 miles, huge difference, more $$ but worth it in long run....

High miles Explorer

I recently had to replace the engine to my 2001 Explorer xlt after 237,000 miles. Front timing chain finally began to wear out and made an obnoxious noise after 3 years of having that work done. Beyond that, changed oil every 3,000 miles and things are fine. AAAengines in Chatsworth, CA gave me a good price for new/remanuf engine plus installation too! Included was a 2-year warranty too since they installed the engine (1 year normally)!

On the new engine, all external engine parts on my original engine were still good except for an oxygen sensor. Runs great now....

Im using Capistrano Ford to replace my engine. 3 year unlimited mileage warranty. Very reasonable price too. Original engine had 275,000 miles. Blew head gasket towing at high altitude 2 years ago. It would use 1/2 gallon of coolant every 150 miles but never mixed coolant with oil. Had timing chain rattle 3 years and finally the cams moved slightly out of phase resulting in a significant drop in performance and MPG. Neither killed it. The wife was driving it on the freeway, oil light came on and before she could get to the side of the road the engine stalled. Spun a rod bearing. With all of those issues, it was time for a new engine.

high mileage xps

i can't complain. my 2000 xlt has 275 and still runs great. replaced rack and pinion or whatever that is, fuel pump,3 fuel filters, u joint, gaskets and stuff. its a work truck now. the steering wheel design was flawed from the start with the controls on flimsy plastic mounts but other than that its been a fine car. switched to amsoil after first 500 miles and have been changing every 20 since. just got a PO442 the other day. time to check the vac system.

2001 Sport 4WD
244k, bought it a year ago at 229k.
I had to change the fuel pump and blend door. It's been right as rain since then.

97 4.0 SOHC 4x4

219,794 miles on engine had transmission rebuilt after 200,000 and just recently had to get another transfer case but now runs great

355,000miles just the other week. Nothing major really, since I've owned it at 117K. Water pumps, Alternator, a radiator. 99' SOHC. Nothing major, and somehow no tranny work. Wonder if Ford would just GIVE me a replacement? It's my Monday-Friday driver. Thing is solid. Tried to post pic....

197,800 miles on my 2000 limited 4wd, was my uncles work truck before I got it at 189,000 miles, engine was rebuilt at 127,000. Transmission was rebuilt and then re-rebuilt at 189,000, timing chains were done after the first cylinder began misfiring at 196,000, and the first cylinder stopped firing completely a month ago, let the thing sit for a week and it ran just fine. Had a few vacuum leaks, ABS sensor went bad, and a couple major oil leaks, but it all disappeared after I let it sit. Just have some exhaust leaks and a problem holding freon now.

I have 213,947 on my 98. I've replaced the Alternator, water pump, front wheel bearing assemblies, and the timing chain cassettes. Now I have a slight miss at idle. I put it for sale on craigslist for $1000 yesterday. I had the tranny rebuilt at 186,000. garykipfer@aol.com

283,863 on my 97' explorer xlt currently trying to figure out a misfire with lean code

283,863 on my 97' explorer xlt currently trying to figure out a misfire with lean code
You may have a leak in the intake(gasket/Oring). that will give the same lean code and slight misfire. OR it could be a bad/weak coil unit.

High miles Explorer

I recently had to replace the engine to my 2001 Explorer xlt after 237,000 miles. Front timing chain finally began to wear out and made an obnoxious noise after 3 years of having that work done. Beyond that, changed oil every 3,000 miles and things are fine. AAAengines in Chatsworth, CA gave me a good price for new/remanuf engine plus installation too! Included was a 2-year warranty too since they installed the engine (1 year normally)!

On the new engine, all external engine parts on my original engine were still good except for an oxygen sensor. Runs great now....
How much did the engine cost from Chatsworth?

Im using Capistrano Ford to replace my engine. 3 year unlimited mileage warranty. Very reasonable price too. Original engine had 275,000 miles. Blew head gasket towing at high altitude 2 years ago. It would use 1/2 gallon of coolant every 150 miles but never mixed coolant with oil. Had timing chain rattle 3 years and finally the cams moved slightly out of phase resulting in a significant drop in performance and MPG. Neither killed it. The wife was driving it on the freeway, oil light came on and before she could get to the side of the road the engine stalled. Spun a rod bearing. With all of those issues, it was time for a new engine.
How much did the engine cost? I may go that route instead of selling my 98.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

204k on mine now. All original timing chain components and no signs of any rattling. The only engine related work outside of general maintenance was replacing the alternator at ~120k and upper/lower intake gaskets at ~160k.

Back