Bad or Burnt Exhaust smell in cabin during hard acceleration. | Page 100 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Has anyone heard of, found, or experienced a solution to the Ford Explorer exhaust issue?

• Total voters

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the forum, jamie48328. I'm Crystal, the Ford Service rep here. Send me your information in a private message (PM) and I'll escalate this to your regional customer service manager. When writing, please include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership. I'll do the rest. :thumbsup:

Crystal

Crystal,

Is there a definite fix for the exhaust odor under hard acceleration on a 2015 Explorer? My dealer is preparing to perform TSB 14-1030 soon.

Thanks,
Lynn

I hope you all get yours fixed. I gave up in July and traded the vehicle on a new F150. Biggest loss I have ever had to take on a vehicle. Ford did nothing for me to get this fixed except keep promising that it would be looked into. All tsb actions did not work. If I didn't work for the company I'd be driving a competitive vehicle instead. Sad that we can't take care of these issues...

Fingers crossed for all of you who are still dealing with this...

Lynn, you may have seen my post in the other thread about the effectiveness of the TSB;
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3525768&postcount=1966
FordService won't be able to tell you if the TSB will definitely eliminate the issue or not.

Peter

I had the TSB done on my 2015 Explorer back in December 2015 (4 months ago) ... still get the smell inside the cabin. The dealer also got the black coating crap all over one of my polished tailpipes

NO Luck on 2016

Seems to be fairly quiet on the 2016 front. Looks like a good sign, so far.

Peter

Sadly Peter, there is no such luck. I got a 2016 Explorer Sport as part of the FL Lemon Law replacement for my 2015 Explorer Sport. We have about 6k miles on it now, and the smell is WORSE in the 2016 than it was in the 2015. I am VERY sad and disappointed because I love my Explorer and cannot think of another 3 row SUV I want, but I can't have it with a baby. I get a headache, I can only image what would happen to my daughter!

Also, in the 2016, it happens even during not that hard acceleration, and below 80MPH. The 2015 was only above 85 MPH or so. VERY disappointed. :mad:

Very Sad that this company continues to be allowed to poison people with total disregard for health and welfare of the customers................Corporate Greed seems to be the winner of the day. Colson543 ,so what happens now......do you go back to lemon laws or is there such a thing as company buyout??

No Idea

Very Sad that this company continues to be allowed to poison people with total disregard for health and welfare of the customers................Corporate Greed seems to be the winner of the day. Colson543 ,so what happens now......do you go back to lemon laws or is there such a thing as company buyout??

Honestly, I have no idea. I just called Ford's 1-800 # and opened a buyback request ticket, so maybe I don't have to do all the BS again. I also sent out an email blast, which seemed to get things moving along last time too. But who knows. They didn't settle with me last time, so not sure what will happen this time.

Having the same issue with our 2016 Limited. All settings except the seats work. The seat pushes a bit too far forward.

I just purchased my 2015 Limited in April 2016, and I have had several instances of this problem. Heavy acceleration, such as merging onto the Interstate and RPM's between 4,500 to 6,000 will produce a smelly cabin every time, averting only in severity. My Explorer had 9K on the odometer when I bought it, and now a bit over 10K.

The first time it happened, I was curious, but now I am concerned, and I have contacted Woody Anderson Ford here in Huntsville, AL, to address this issue as the vehicle is still under factory warranty (I also purchased an extended warranty).

I certainly hope this issue can be fixed, I find it unacceptable that I dread the smell if I need to accelerate full throttle to get up to the speeds required for freeway driving.

Anyone decided to plug in a CO2 detector to get some readings?
I have yet to smell exhaust fumes from spirited driving, but do experience the foul rotton egg smell, which is the same from all different makes and models when going WOT.

The times Ive experienced the "smell" I found the dipstick was popping out and oil would exit onto the engine.

A few times the engine cover/ padded cover was soaked underneath. I even replaced it once.

Internal pressures would push it out just a bit...just enough that it looked secure but a push down proved it had been pushed out.

Pull the cover and look for oil. Inspect everywhere around the engine top to bottom.

Rotten egg smell IS Exhaust fumes. Carbon monoxide always present but undetactable to humans. Anyone know what long term effects of being subjected to carbon monoxide is to humans............especially kids??

Rotten egg smell IS Exhaust fumes.

Some oils today smell rotten when burnt. Again when i've had that explorer "smell" it was from oil leaking onto the engine out the dipstick. I can always tell when its popped out now.

Rotten egg smell IS Exhaust fumes. Carbon monoxide always present but undetactable to humans. Anyone know what long term effects of being subjected to carbon monoxide is to humans............especially kids??

If that's the case EVERY make and model (low end to high end) produces rotten egg smell during hard acceleration/WOT!

edit:
quick search for "rotten egg smell" resulted in 10,200 hits on google affecting pretty much every single vehicle manufacturer.

Anyone decided to plug in a CO2 detector to get some readings?
I have yet to smell exhaust fumes from spirited driving, but do experience the foul rotton egg smell, which is the same from all different makes and models when going WOT.
Both CO and CO2 detectors have been used by members.

Peter

Both CO and CO2 detectors have been used by members.

Peter

I remeber reading that, but don't recall if readings were provided (any reading is bad regardless).
I have a digital dispay CO2 detector and going to plug it in and see what happens.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If that's the case EVERY make and model (low end to high end) produces rotten egg smell during hard acceleration/WOT!

edit:
quick search for "rotten egg smell" resulted in 10,200 hits on google affecting pretty much every single vehicle manufacturer.

Google how many of those 10200 hits also contained carbon monoxide???????

Back