Installing HID? Read this first. | Page 9 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Installing HID? Read this first.

autoworksrussia;3491169[/QUOTE said:
Are those HID headlamps?

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I wanted to ask one of the electrical engineers before I attempted this mod and here is what I got back.

Ford does not make a High Intensity Discharge ‘upgrade’ kit for base Halogen equipped vehicles. There are many things (including regulations) are different that preclude such an upgrade..

The Automotive Aftermarket sells conversion HID kits. You lose Auto High Beam Function and the Unfiltered High Voltage AC can wreak havoc in the base vehicle electronics.

To Compare the Two Lighting Systems:

Halogen
12 VDC
No Ballast
High Beam: Separate Filament

HID
48-90 VAC
Requires Ballast
High Beam: Internal Shutter

xenonhids.com offers the conversion kits, and they work perfect. I have a 2014 Ford Explorer Base, and I added a 55w HID kit w/relay, they work just fine. The kit is powered through the battery by way of the relay, and the factory stuff stays intact.

74f43das-960.jpg

230c3das-960.jpg

82f43das-960.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuGRayEiEd8

I know this is an old thread, but where did you get the LED lights that go around the headlight housing?

Been searching the forums but haven't come across this yet, I apologize if it has been covered which I'm sure it has.
I have a 2009 Cadillac CTS and swapped over to oem hide, it was a simple plug and play. I was curious if this is also true for the explorer? I just purchased a 2013 XLT
Thanks for any info

Been searching the forums but haven't come across this yet, I apologize if it has been covered which I'm sure it has.
I have a 2009 Cadillac CTS and swapped over to oem hide, it was a simple plug and play. I was curious if this is also true for the explorer? I just purchased a 2013 XLT
Thanks for any info
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
As indicated, your thread has been merged with this one. There are several threads here in the 'Modified' sub forum on HID swaps and they can be found using the 'Search' function at the top right of the page. There are too many to link to. As mentioned a few times, the only correct way to do the conversion is to also change the internal lenses in the fixture since Halogen and HID bulbs use different projectors. Many have not done so and while there is a great improvement in light output, a perfect focus cannot be achieved.
Good luck.

Peter

Thanks for any info
If you swap in the OEM HID housings into a non-HID car you need to do a couple of little things to the headlight connectors.

See my picture below. This is what I had RVA Sport do to get his working:

57608D4A-FF64-4E47-A7C3-1F6DEDBEA5CB.jpg

If you swap in the OEM HID housings into a non-HID car you need to do a couple of little things to the headlight connectors.

See my picture below. This is what I had RVA Sport do to get his working:

57608D4A-FF64-4E47-A7C3-1F6DEDBEA5CB.jpg
thank you for the info guys, great forum so far, I have already learned a few things

Back