Is synthetic oil worth it? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Is synthetic oil worth it?

Looks like I'll be using the synthetic from now on since I plan on keeping my EX for well past 150,000 miles.

Use the specified oil, follow the OLM and you'll get well over 200,000 miles with no issues. End of discussion. Doing any more is just costing you money.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Use the specified oil, follow the OLM and you'll get well over 200,000 miles with no issues. End of discussion. Doing any more is just costing you money.

Manual specifies both conventional and synthetic.

Manual as in the book that's located in the glove box.lol

Ahh, that storage space in front of the passenger that has everything except gloves. Is that book in Spanish?

Ahh, that storage space in front of the passenger that has everything except gloves. Is that book in Spanish?

Both English and en Francais for us Canadian folks.

Oh, I thought Manual was Spanish.

For US, specifications:
Recommended: 5W-30, premium synthetic blend
Optional: 5W-30, full synthetic

For Canada, specifications:
Recommended: 5W-30, super premium
Optional; 5W-30, synthetic

That being the case, what's meaningful about the 3500-mile interval? Why not change the oil every 2500? Or every 500? If it's about being careful, isn't more careful better?

I guess this topic may be in the same catagory as religion and politics. :D
My maintenence habits are just that, my habits.
Habits I will probably never change because I am very ****.
So I guess it boils down to personality.

The weird part about me being me is that I trade my vehicles often. Who ever gets them will be buying a well (overly) maintained vehicle. If I were different and didn't care about the next guy who forks over hard earned money for a vehicle, I might change my oil every 15k.

Semi-Synthetic and change when the OLM says too, because the engineers know what they are doing and Ford wouldn't recommend something that didn't cover their azz.

agreed, i'm still on ford service contract so everything is in ford dealer including oil change and i believe i read on my previous maintenance report that they used semi-synthetic oil comes with 10k km or 6 months which ever comes first. after my contract finish i will definitely use same oil as well on her :) and motocraft or k&n oil filter.

Oh, I thought Manual was Spanish.

Not sure if the other people got that or are ignoring it, but actually I think you are referring to Manuel.:D

Not sure if the other people got that or are ignoring it, but actually I think you are referring to Manuel.:D

No, I really meant manual.

Man-u-al
Noun: a book of instructions, especially for operating a machine or learning a subject.

No, I really meant manual.

Man-u-al
Noun: a book of instructions, especially for operating a machine or learning a subject.

I quoted Lewisra. He was making funnies.

I quoted Lewisra. He was making funnies.

Sarcasm passed me this time, as I was being serious with all of my posts related to following the user manUAl, in regards to the type of oil owners should use.

Or the waiter from faulty towers, I figured all Canadians know him.

I guess this topic may be in the same catagory as religion and politics. :D
My maintenence habits are just that, my habits.
Habits I will probably never change because I am very ****.
So I guess it boils down to personality.

The weird part about me being me is that I trade my vehicles often. Who ever gets them will be buying a well (overly) maintained vehicle. If I were different and didn't care about the next guy who forks over hard earned money for a vehicle, I might change my oil every 15k.
I was right there with you until you had to write that last sentence. Your 3500 mile interval is one you chose arbitrarily, or more likely based on heavy socialization from oil companies and Grease Monkey. You are strongly implying that people who wait longer than you do are damaging their engines by waiting. It's not likely.

I'm not trying to start an argument, and this thread is really about something else. But, I would enjoy the opportunity to read some proof that modern motor oil loses its protective characteristics in as few as 3500 miles, provided by someone who wasn't selling oil.

I change mine every year, or about every 8,000 - 10,000 miles. Because that's what the owner's manual says, and that's what the data on modern oil indicates is necessary.

Change yours every 3500, by all means. You are certainly doing no harm, and maybe you enjoy the garage time.

Well, I've had my "used" Explorer for a month and a half and put about 4500 miles on it. I have a long 1500+ mile trip coming up next week.

My oil monitor is saying I still have 48% life left. Does the oil monitor actually analize the properties of the oil, or does it just calculate mileage and/or time since it was last reset?

I'll probably get the oil changed tomorrow anyway but I'm just curious how the oil monitor works.

I was right there with you until you had to write that last sentence. Your 3500 mile interval is one you chose arbitrarily, or more likely based on heavy socialization from oil companies and Grease Monkey. You are strongly implying that people who wait longer than you do are damaging their engines by waiting. It's not likely.

I'm not trying to start an argument, and this thread is really about something else. But, I would enjoy the opportunity to read some proof that modern motor oil loses its protective characteristics in as few as 3500 miles, provided by someone who wasn't selling oil.

I change mine every year, or about every 8,000 - 10,000 miles. Because that's what the owner's manual says, and that's what the data on modern oil indicates is necessary.

Change yours every 3500, by all means. You are certainly doing no harm, and maybe you enjoy the garage time.

If you're following the manual, you should be changing at 6 months if you don't hit the mileage first.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, I've had my "used" Explorer for a month and a half and put about 4500 miles on it. I have a long 1500+ mile trip coming up next week.

My oil monitor is saying I still have 48% life left. Does the oil monitor actually analize the properties of the oil, or does it just calculate mileage and/or time since it was last reset?

I'll probably get the oil changed tomorrow anyway but I'm just curious how the oil monitor works.

Algorithm based on engine temp, load, rpm and mileage etc...
Nothing of the sort related to the physical oil properties, but "good' enough of an indicator for the masses.

Back