2015 Explorer bump/harsh shift | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2015 Explorer bump/harsh shift

N

Nalegtx149

My wife has a 2015 EX and for about 10 months we have noticed a pronounced shift (bump/harsh shift) in the transmission. It seems to happen most between 30-40 mph on acceleration from a yield/stop sign or even red lights that turn green. A few times there has been a bump/harsh shift when braking from speeds above 40 mph. Seems to be around 3/4 gear i'm guessing. So after several road tests by a technician, service manager, shop foreman and even a overnight 2 day road test by a tech who drove it home, they have yet to duplicate anything. It can be finicky and i understand. Has anyone else here experienced this, the dealership says ford tech line had no other complaints of this type. I have felt it several times while i drive and my wife drives. I was a tech/service adviser for Mazda/Lexus and i understand "normal" and the repair process. Just reaching out for some extra advice/help since no one seems to be able to duplicate or even relate to this.

side note: two days ago there were harsh shifts at 15/25/35 mph consistently for about 3 hours of around town driving in and out of stores. hasn't happened since....just the very pronounced 30-40 mph bump/harsh shift.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There is a TSB for the 40mph slam into gear when u are coasting and go to accelerate BUT this was for 2011-2013 models.

Post 7
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=343204

Maybe they can reload the latest calibration and have it go through the relearn process.

It definitely isn't normal.

You could disconnect the negative battery cable for at least 30 seconds. This will reset the adaptive transmission learn process and relearn your driving style. If this doesn't help cure the problem then a dealer will have to reload the latest transmission calibration software.

I have a 2015 Limited and my transmission shifts smoothly at all speeds.

thanks for the help everyone. Unfortunately the dealer is pulling the classic "...without a light/dtc/duplication of concern we can not perform any repairs..." Which of course i understand however i also know that performing the latest software updates for the vehicle is within the 3yr/36K and ford will pay the tech do do so. If not im sure the dealer will in order to maintain customer satisfaction. This was common practice where i was a tech/service writer.

so update since April...there has been 2 transmission flush services done, 2 transmission solenoid replacements, several TCM re-flashes and the situation has not changed....its back in the shop AGAIN because it is shifting like a 14 year old driving a manual blindly LOL its getting ridiculous at this point. Anything short of a new transmission at this point and i think i'm dumping this heap of garbage and going back to Mazda, CX-9.........had 200k on her last one with no issues......wanted to step up to a more luxurious vehicle and that apparently failed miserably....good job FORD :SMH:

Lots of forum posts on many different Ford vehicle boards about harsh shift issues.

Some have resolved themselves with valve body and solenoid replacements with and without trans reprogramming -
some have required trans replacement. Good luck.

I had to do this to my 2014 Fusion (harsh reverse and 2/3 shift with no DTCs) - https://ford.oemdtc.com/1621/harsh-...nto-3rd-andor-5th-gear-2014-2016-ford-lincoln

There may also be sonnax/trans go kits available to address your concerns.

Based on the way this thread reads, I assumed KIDRIPTHIS = Nalegtx149. I apologize if that was a bad assumption.

Most of the issues I have found regarding Ford trans issues were addressed with valve body/solenoid replacement and/or reflash. If that didn't work, I have seen reports of Ford replacing transmissions under warranty. There are a whole host of known issues with the 6F series of Ford transmissions and the 6T GM variant - some of which have aftermarket solutions available.

As far as the previous comments about the dealer not doing anything without a DTC, I just wanted to point out that there are TSBs that describe problems, and how to fix them, when no DTCs are set.

If your vehicle is shifting as erratically as you claim and your dealer can't seem to fix it under warranty, I too would be very concerned and would either try to escalate or take it to a different dealer. Good luck.

you assumed right....honestly not sure why my name changed LOL but anyway, i just got off the phone with them and they "ordered some parts" that just happened to arrive as i was talking to them.....it is possible i know....but anyway when i asked for the specific parts that were being replaced i just got a runaround answer and never got any actual part names or numbers of the work. Makes me to start questioning what the he!@ is going on here......they say it'll be done for a Wednesday pick up so we shall see.
with my experience working at a Mazda dealership, this would've been a transmission replacement by the second part replacement failure for the valve body solenoid.

My 2011 had a terrible transmission bump. I traded it in and got a 2017. Now it has started with the same harsh bump at 6300 miles. It's exactly as described above (shifting at slow speeds from first to second). I am taking it in for service. From what I have read, it is a problem with the adaptive transmission controls, and just needs a reset, no parts.

mine shifts different every time I disconnect the battery. If I drive easy after reconnecting the battery it shifts smoothly again after a few hundred miles, but if I start driving it hard it adapts and starts shifting hard again. Its not a horrible shift but you can sure feel it

mine shifts different every time I disconnect the battery. If I drive easy after reconnecting the battery it shifts smoothly again after a few hundred miles, but if I start driving it hard it adapts and starts shifting hard again. Its not a horrible shift but you can sure feel it

Quick, firm shifts are better for the transmission than a long smooth(clutch plate riding) shift especially for hard acceleration. I think the adaptive transmission program is doing the right thing in your case.

so i got her car back yesterday. Turns out the internals were smoked! All the clutches were worn prematurely, the fluid was burnt and had lots of clutch particulate in it. The valve body had wear in several places and was replaced along with brand new solenoids as well. The technician and ford tech line both agreed the transmission had a internal failure that caused the drive concern and premature wear. They performed several fluid flushes and even took down and flushed out the torque converter. All the lines were flushed and like i said new valve body and clutches were installed. latest software was loaded from Ford directly and she road tested 100 miles with zero issues. So i hope this is the end all be all for this issue.

It seems this transmission 'learning' process was discontinued beginning with the 2016 Explorer. There is no longer any mention of it in the Manuals.

Peter

that would be odd, maybe they didn't want the public to read into it too much :dunno:

It seems this transmission 'learning' process was discontinued beginning with the 2016 Explorer. There is no longer any mention of it in the Manuals.

Peter

it bothers me because I can hear a slight metallic noise sometimes, from the front half shafts, I guess I could just get them replaced:D

Quick, firm shifts are better for the transmission than a long smooth(clutch plate riding) shift especially for hard acceleration. I think the adaptive transmission program is doing the right thing in your case.

I’d get them to replace the transmission. No amount of solenoid changes or fluid flushes would ease my mind if I ran into that issue.

Back