Is synthetic oil worth it? | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Is synthetic oil worth it?

If you're following the manual, you should be changing at 6 months if you don't hit the mileage first.
I was not talking about an Explorer. ;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

For US, specifications:
Recommended: 5W-30, premium synthetic blend
Optional: 5W-30, full synthetic

For Canada, specifications:
Recommended: 5W-30, super premium
Optional; 5W-30, synthetic

5W-30 is recommended for Ecoboost engines.
5W-20 is recommended for the 3.5L NA engine.

It seems 6 month or 5000 miles is the 'fall back' interval.

If your information display resets
prematurely or becomes inoperative, you
should perform the oil change interval at
six months or 5000 miles (8000
kilometers) from your last oil change.
Never exceed one year or 10000 miles
(16000 kilometers) between oil change
intervals.

Peter

Ford Motor Company doesn't present crystal-clear information regarding oil-change intervals for 2016 Explorers.

The owners manual says, "Never exceed one year or 10000 miles (16000 kilometers) between oil change intervals."

Ford's website for owners says, "2008 and newer model-year vehicles: every 7,500 miles or every six months, whichever comes first." Look here:

https://owner.ford.com/how-tos/vehicle-features/engine/know-when-to-change-your-engine-oil.html

This is one of the reasons why there are so many differing opinions on this issue.

Well, I've had my "used" Explorer for a month and a half and put about 4500 miles on it. I have a long 1500+ mile trip coming up next week.

My oil monitor is saying I still have 48% life left. Does the oil monitor actually analize the properties of the oil, or does it just calculate mileage and/or time since it was last reset?

I'll probably get the oil changed tomorrow anyway but I'm just curious how the oil monitor works.

there's a few threads about it. it's a useage algorithm. # of starts, time at red line, # cold first starts, time spent idle, hard loads, etc cut away at a value.

when the remainder is 0 the light comes on. Highway time counts the least of all deductions.

if it makes you feel better on our 2016 I let it go till it went off - and got out near 9700 miles. from a near fresh reset, the 1600 mile trip we took to Ohio (from memphis) this past fall - removed 5% of the OLM life.

the one place a full synthetic oil has the advantage - time.

any blend I would take out at 6 months - or so.

full syn per SAE labeling specs - I'd leave a year. maybe longer but if you're not using the car that much - perhaps you should use something different anyway.

there's a few threads about it. it's a useage algorithm. # of starts, time at red line, # cold first starts, time spent idle, hard loads, etc cut away at a value.

when the remainder is 0 the light comes on. Highway time counts the least of all deductions.

if it makes you feel better on our 2016 I let it go till it went off - and got out near 9700 miles. from a near fresh reset, the 1600 mile trip we took to Ohio (from memphis) this past fall - removed 5% of the OLM life.

Well then the 48% oil life left makes sense since about 75% of my driving is highway miles. Looks like I still got some time (miles) left.

Thanks.

I am ready for my first oil change. Since I don't drive my vehicles like I used to, I don't put the mileage on them even though I drive 4 or 5 days a week. My Ex has almost 2k miles on it now. Not many miles for having it almost a year but, the percentage is down to 28%. I'm going full synth with Valvoline and a Purolator Pure One filter. Looks like once a year will do as it has done with my other vehicles over the last several years since I retired. If I drove like I used to, I would change the oil at 5k miles and ignore the OLM readings. :salute:

I am ready for my first oil change. Since I don't drive my vehicles like I used to, I don't put the mileage on them even though I drive 4 or 5 days a week. My Ex has almost 2k miles on it now. Not many miles for having it almost a year but, the percentage is down to 28%. I'm going full synth with Valvoline and a Purolator Pure One filter. Looks like once a year will do as it has done with my other vehicles over the last several years since I retired. If I drove like I used to, I would change the oil at 5k miles and ignore the OLM readings. :salute:

then why aren't you equally changing it even 3 or 6 months and ignoring the OLM readings?

one side is OK but not the other?

Unless you are taking it somewhere to be done I would suggest continuing with the motorcraft filter instead of something else. mostly warranty and the fact that you'll know it has the right bypass setup.

I see the OLM being very useful in my current situation since I don't put the miles on my vehicles that I used to. Since the OLM uses time as well as mileage, it will countdown the percentage over a year to about what it reads now and I'll change the oil and filter again regardless of the mileage. As far as my choice of filters goes, been using these filters for years without failure. The only reason a bypass situation would occur is if you had a contaminate problem like sludge or you never changed the oil and sludge would be a result. Bypass valves don't go off willy nilly.

I'm not sure where you're going with the warranty because it doesn't go away because you use someone else's filter. Also, no one touches my vehicles but me most of the time. I do all my own work unless I need an alignment 'cause I don't have that set up. :D :salute:

Back