2016: Incorrect high beam wattage in manual | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2016: Incorrect high beam wattage in manual

matt88

Reaction score
City, State
Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 XLT/03 GrandCherokee
Just an FYI to 2016 owners:

The owners manual specs the high beam bulbs as: 9005LL 55W.

The actual bulb used in my 2016 XLT is a Sylvania 60W 9005LL.

In fact, I have yet to see anyone manufacture a 55W 9005 halogen. This may bring a little more piece-of-mind to those wishing to swap in some 65W Philips HIR1 halogens.

Matt

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Can't stand the color contrast of the LED low beams and Halogen hi beams. Would love a more color matching and bright bulb for the hi beam.

Can't stand the color contrast of the LED low beams and Halogen hi beams. Would love a more color matching and bright bulb for the hi beam.

Ditto. Any suggestions?

For whiter light, consider SYLVANIA 9005 SilverStar Ultra

For "more" light, consider Philips 9011 HIR (requires one of the black tabs to be trimmed on the bulb in order to fit).

I doubt any halogens exist that will produce the same "white" as the 2016 low-beam LEDs.

Edit: I have only tried the Philips bulbs. They are only "slightly" whiter than the stock, but they are noticeably "brighter" than stock.

For whiter light, consider SYLVANIA 9005 SilverStar Ultra

For "more" light, consider Philips 9011 HIR (requires one of the black tabs to be trimmed on the bulb in order to fit).

I doubt any halogens exist that will produce the same "white" as the 2016 low-beam LEDs.

Thanks for the recommendations, Matt. I've got SilverStar Ultra high beams in my other daily driver, and I'm very pleased with their performance. Maybe I'll try a pair in my 2016 Explorer.

Just a note: Both of the bulbs are 65W instead of the stock 60W bulbs, so there is an increased nominal current draw of 0.39A at 12.8V. However, 65W is a fairly standard wattage for 9005 bulbs. I don't know what Ford intended when they wrote 55W in the owner's manual.

Remember that most "white" halogens achieve their color by using a blueish film that acts as a highpass filter, which reduces the total light output. In my opinion, it would be difficult to find a halogen bulb that "matches" the white of the 2016 LEDs.

Why not install an HID or LED bulb for the high beams? I hate halogens and I really despise them. Hopefully the redesigned Explorer uses all LEDs for their stuff.

Why not install an HID or LED bulb for the high beams? I hate halogens and I really despise them. Hopefully the redesigned Explorer uses all LEDs for their stuff.

While HID can work, they are not intended for the highs often as stand along units due to the time and "heat up" a HID requires (think Flash to Pass)

9005 vs 9005LL

Just an FYI to 2016 owners:

The owners manual specs the high beam bulbs as: 9005LL 55W.

The actual bulb used in my 2016 XLT is a Sylvania 60W 9005LL.

In fact, I have yet to see anyone manufacture a 55W 9005 halogen. This may bring a little more piece-of-mind to those wishing to swap in some 65W Philips HIR1 halogens.

Matt

Is there a difference between a 9005 vs 9005LL bulb? Will a 9005 not fit? Or does it require a 9005LL?

Is there a difference between a 9005 vs 9005LL bulb? Will a 9005 not fit? Or does it require a 9005LL?

The "LL" suffix stands for Long Life. Any 9005 bulb will fit just fine.

I believe the "LL" bulbs have heavier (thicker) filaments and are designed to remain illuminated for a longer time than non-LL bulbs. Longer bulb life means fewer replacements of burned-out bulbs. The downside is the heavier filament glows more dimly and produces yellowy illumination.

If you want to match the 4300K color line of the LED/HID bulbs with another halogen replacement.

the only ones I know of are these.

http://www.hoen-usa.com/

and they do work and provide good light. I've not put any on the explorer but I have them on my other HID equipped cars.

I would not use a bulb that had it's own fan.

how do you know the fan is working? what if it stopped? does it prevent the light from functioning?

how does it get proper airflow.

On the bright side (ha) I would only use the highs as a flash to pass or short term usage.

In reply to all the comments above about LED lights. There are fanless 9005 bulbs out there you can get.

Here is a thread about LED bulb conversion:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=435075&page=4

Search for fanless 9005 led bulbs on Ebay and Amazon and you'd find a ton. Do not go for the ones with the fans. It's just an extra part that could potentially break.

Considering that the high beams are not used for long periods of time (at least I don't) I have no worries about the fans failing. The fan-less bulbs that I have seen use those long heat sink like things that are probably very hot. I'll take my chances on the fans. The H4 bulbs from this same manufacturer on my motorcycle have been great and of course those bulbs are on full time. No issues with the rubber boot melting or the fans failing.

Back