Help??? How do you jump a/c clutch | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

tkontonasakis

Reaction score
City, State
Vancouver washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Ford Explorer
HELP
I LOST MY AC AND I DONT KNOW HOW TO JUMP THE CLUTCH TO RECHARGE IT? From what I was reading you have to jump the clutch to get it going to recharge it? Not sure if this is correct, but I do need help

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you jump the connector to the low pressure switch not the clutch when recharging, most of the time you don't need to do this once you reach the min pressure it should start sucking in. the connector is on the accumulator side.

Before you move ahead, why don't you list all you've done to fix the system first.

There's no need to jump the connector if you've properly vacuumed the system. The created vacuum will suck in a can plus on its own.

Okay I have a 2004 Ford Explorer. I was told you have to have the clutch spinning before you can add the can of 134r or whatever it is. I don't have it in front of me. I got the clutch spinning but for some reason it won't drain the can. I don't know what else to do.

Really need to understand what the issue is before adding a can.

If it's not low and there is a mechanical issue (failed sensor etc.) too much refridgerant will cause the system to be less cold.

If it's low, then there is a leak. Anything you add will just come right out.
If it's so low that the clutch won't engage, then adding a can won't do much as air will now be in the system. The moisture in the air will turn to acid and ruin your AC system.

I'd recommend having a shop do a leak diagnosis on it.
Then pay them to fix it, or buy some basic tools and do it yourself.

The pressure is low. I could get a reading. And I do have a small leak, a mechanic friend of mine told me that the can I am using has stuff in it to stop my leak as its a very very slow leak. When I hook the can up to the car the pressure doesn't even register in the green.

There are so many things wrong with this line of thought!

Skipping the list of things that seem wrong, I will just bottom line this:

If the pressure in the A/C is so low the clutch won't engage, it's so low it can suck the can of Freon empty.

There are so many things wrong with this line of thought!

Skipping the list of things that seem wrong, I will just bottom line this:

If the pressure in the A/C is so low the clutch won't engage, it's so low it can suck the can of Freon empty.

it depends on the situation, if there's no vacuum in the system due to leaks it wouldn't suck anything on the can. the pressure will just equalize. jumping the low pressure switch is needed when you have cases like this and the ultimate goal is to let a refrigerant with a UV dye go in to check for leaks.
our trucks don't use Freon anymore (nothing is) it's r134-a or simply call it refrigerant.. I'd advise though to stop doing this charging process with a DIY kit (one gauge can that only measure the low side) before more damage will be done. There's something wrong here and you need to check both high and low sides.

Okay so I need to jump the low pressure switch? And trust me this is all new to me so I don't have any idea where that is located? I know it's behind the windshield washer reservoir but what does it look like? Is there a website I can go to and they will have a diagram of it? And yes Lincoln that is exactly what I was told, minus the jumping of the low pressure switch? And thank you for your help by the way.

Oh wow I didn't know they had Facebook page. Okay I know exactly where that is. Once again thank you very much. One question I do have is when I do jump it with a paper clip will I hear a noise or something? Will I know whether it worked or not? I will try this when I get off work and will post an update. Thanks again. ☺️☺️

when I do jump it with a paper clip will I hear a noise or something?
You will see the front of the compressor clutch start turning (if the engine is running).

I made a u-bend with a piece of 10 gauge (solid) copper wire and hammered it flat on both ends to make a jumper. The copper makes a better conductor than a paper clip and you can hammer it as flat as you need to so it will fit. Of course, I'm assuming the holes are slots, not round.

Now, about R-134; Freon is a brand name, but I wouldn't stop the conversation to explain that, as if you're going to get all confused if somebody calls a refrigerant a Freon. R-134 has a pressure of 70 PSIG at 70 degrees F. The low side switch cuts out somewhere between 20 and 40 PSIG. Therefore, if the clutch switch is open, the pressure in the car is less than the pressure in the can. It is only when the pressure in the car gets up to 50 or 60 PSIG that you would find it convenient to have the compressor running to suck in the last of the refrigerant quickly. If you can't get the refrigerant to flow out of the can at all when the switch is open, you have a different problem. That problem is usually about the adapter which is supposed to pierce the can and allow the refrigerant to come out.

Okay I am home now. I will try it and post my results. Thanks again for your help.

Okay so the only thing I had available to try and jump the low pressure switch was a paper clip. I tried to jump it and nothing. I know that I am getting good connection. Now I can get the clutch to activate by jumping the a/c relay. That is the only way I can get the clutch to spin. At this point I'm not sure what could be? Any ideas?

did you turn the AC selector to MAX AC? full cold? full blower? what you're doing by jumping the relay is apply 12v directly to the clutch, it will energize the clutch but you're bypassing the PCM which turns on the AC clutch relay. The PCM decides based on the input from your AC selector switch and both high and low pressure switches.

HELP
I LOST MY AC AND I DONT KNOW HOW TO JUMP THE CLUTCH TO RECHARGE IT? From what I was reading you have to jump the clutch to get it going to recharge it? Not sure if this is correct, but I do need help

I never needed to. From vacuum I started adding DuPont R134a and it eventually started cycling.

Yes I had the AC ON MAX. blowing full blast. I did end up having to poke a hole into the bottle of the can because when j screwed the handle down it didn't poke a hole into the can. The problem is the clutch will not spin when I tried to jump the Pressure control module. The connector for the PCM Is on a metal pipe that is connected to the valve where I am connecting the bottle to. Sorry I'm just learning the components so I don't recall what the name is right off hand. When k do jump the relay, and the clutch is spinning I get cold air coming out. So I don't understand why it's not working. I am pretty sure it's low pressure but can't bypass the low pressure switch. I was hoping Maybe someone on here had any other ideas. Maybe later I can post a video to Facebook to show you guys what I am doing. Maybes I am doing something wrong. Won't be until 330pm pacific time as I am In Washington state and I am at work right now.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Okay so here is an update. I had one of our maintenance techs at work look at it. He went to school for refrigeration and a/c. So my X is a little different than the rest. Lol of course. For some reason it wouldn't charge with the a/c on. The minute I turned the A/C off the can started to empty. When the needle on the gauge got to green, I turned the a/c unit on and everything started working like it supposed to. Now my A/C is blowing cold as ice. We shut it off and recharged the rest of it and now I'm all set. Just in time too. Lol because the heat wave is no longer around. Supposed to be in the low 70's. Ha ha. O well now I have a/c when it does get hot. Thanks to all of you guys for your advice and help.

Back