lsd help please | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

lsd help please

Bootless

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 ford explorer 4x4
So im wondering if i can use a lsd diff from a mustang they are both 8.8 rear ends 31 spline

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

[MENTION=270493]96EXXLTinCO[/MENTION] because the stang one is shiny and brand new and comes with full rebuild kit

A few things you have to think about;
- Gearing. If you have a 2x4, it's not really a worry, just pick one that suits your driving (torque vs speed & fuel economy). But if you have a 4x4, the gearing MUST match the front. If not, you'll have to buy a new set of gears.
- Brakes. If the Mustang has disc brakes, that's a cool upgrade but some people report that it works fine but others have issue getting the proportioning right. There's also extra work to get the emergency brake installed properly.
- Shock and spring mounts. I've never looked but I don't imagine the spring & shock locations are close to an Explorer's setup. You'd have to do some cutting and welding.

Now, maybe you're just taking about the carrier? If so, that drops right in but you'll want to do the usual lash measurements otherwise the gears will eat themselves.

Ok i think you mis understood its just the chunk not whole axle

Not that easy.

It will fit but have you ever set up a ring and Pinion gear?

Like natenkiki2004 said. "If not done properly, It's gonna eat gears"

I have no idea how to check backlash

Not only backlash. Preload, pinion depth, side clearance, mesh pattern just to name a few.

Do i need to do all that just to put a new chunck in im not changing my gearing or anything

Yes, anytime you change the carrier or the R&P, you will need to check and adjust the gears to make sure they fit together correctly.

Alright, you're just swapping carriers. Most of my reply doesn't matter then. But it's still super relevant to set it up properly especially if that carrier has never been in that housing. Housings & carriers & gears are all made within a tolerance but not exactly. There's spacers that make up machining and manufacturing differences and it's critical to get those right.

shucker1 got the technical names right, do some research on those items.

Ok guys lsd is in very fun donuts now.now i just have to figure out how i caved in a quarter panel

Well, we didn't intend to "Pee in your Campfire" we were just trying to help you stay out of a bad situation.

You said the one out of the Stang was shiny and new and came with a rebuild kit?

Who did (or was) going to do the rebuild?

A long time ago someone got me on T-5 Transmission for my 86 Stang that was "Rebuilt" and ready to go.

NOT!

I check everything I buy now.

Yeah they bought it for a f150 but they sold it the guy i git it from works for american muscle

Back