Diff cover debate - aluminum or steel? | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Diff cover debate - aluminum or steel?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Its all part of the game: wheel time = a little wrench time +a bit of tlc time.

Its all part of the game: wheel time = a little wrench time +a bit of tlc time.

Exactly this.. I live on a dirt road so things never stay clean.. Usually when I'm doing mods I don't waste time on making things too purdy.. Sometimes I do, it just depends on how much work has to be done..

For example, when I did the cut/turned beams I had bare beams and bare brackets so I did paint them etc, same with the engine (made it a lego motor)

When I did the SOA I did clean up the areas I was working on and throw some paint on what I welded but that's it. I wanted it done so I could tweak it and use it...

I'ts just priorities, and after > 395k miles, looks is way down on the list of things for the X (been that way for 100k miles or so)... Heck, soon it'll be sporting gold outside door handles from a 2nd gen since I broke 2 of them recently...

~Mark

Yep, my 25 year old truck now has visible cancer all over the body and at this point making some things too purdy defeats the look and quite honestly screams attention I actually don't want. I like the sleeper look, but honestly, a rust bucket is not the "look" I'm after. Rather, an old truck thats well maintained and clean is more the look I prefer. That said, I hate the rusty body panels and other surface rust on the chassis and the interior wear and tear. But, functionality and reliability is most important to me. In this regard, my truck has been sterling.

Back