'97 XLT Dana 30 SAS | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'97 XLT Dana 30 SAS

Well since I don't have the time/tools/skills to build my own, but I do have the money, this isn't going to be a build log, just show the final product since I don't have much for "during" pics.

Dana 30, trussed and gussetted. 4.56 gears, Eaton Truetrac (front and rear), SOA with Chevy 1500 63" leafs, 1354 manual transfer case, F-150 steering box.

51bca44163c212ea2b95035548e9f87b.jpg

764f1aa5f0fcae5772c0600a2a536492.jpg

5cd60d99ebedb490584b401f9df3835b.jpg

63f7a8b8c09314e9445eb5e2b11b3fa1.jpg

1b2efd61ab01fc680959bb684a0edd59.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Reused the Warrior shackles from the pre-SAS days.

Great. It did not look like the shackle mounting points were changed any even though the leaf springs are much longer than stock.

I'll get that tonight.

Fantastic. Overall height is a huge factor for me. I am looking to keep it as low as possible. I found a V8 2nd gen that I am going to start with the other day.

Yes. At times. Since I went from the XJ springs to the ZJ springs it has improved in that respect, but I think I can still do better. I'm looking into some options.

So, here is the question. Do you feel that it is tippy because the springs are too soft (the XJ and ZJ are lighter trucks) or because the truck sits really high? I was able to get a set of JK width D44 axles to use so I will be increasing the track width to keep it as stable as I possibly can.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Track width will certainly help. Keeping the height as low as possible will also help- I installed a 2" body lift prior to the SAS. My bumpers and sliders were built to that height- undoing the body lift could be done but would require a far amount of work. I would honestly love to have that 2" back. The body lift doesn't effect belly height, but it has moved a couple thousand lbs up by 2" which does effect it tendency to feel tippy. The stiffer springs have helped.

The forward spring attach points for the rear leaf springs were moved forward. Not sure by how much.

The belly height answer isn't really a single number, here's what I've got:
Gas tank skid: 15.5"
Transfer case skid: 16.5"
Frame just in front of the leaf spring attachment: 18"
Frame just in front of transfer case skid: 20.5"
Sliders: 21.5"

I took only single measurements where I thought was the lowest point. All measurements are from the passenger side- I'm pretty sure it leans to the driver side- just like every Explorer (even with the 63s).

The belly height answer isn't really a single number, here's what I've got:
Gas tank skid: 15.5"
Transfer case skid: 16.5"
Frame just in front of the leaf spring attachment: 18"
Frame just in front of transfer case skid: 20.5"
Sliders: 21.5"

I took only single measurements where I thought was the lowest point. All measurements are from the passenger side- I'm pretty sure it leans to the driver side- just like every Explorer (even with the 63s).

Stellar stuff. I appreciate all the numbers. Your truck really is not that tall. Somewhere around 17"- 18" is pretty low considering you are going to be able to run 35s. That is pretty much exactly where I want to be. RuffStuff has a good 63" spring kit. :thumbsup:

Hi Tom,

I love the rig! its exactly what I'm working towards.

Question:
1. What year F-150 steering box are you using? Was it a direct bolt in or did you have to fab new brackets for it? Pictures would be great if possible.
2. Could you post pictures of the front trailing arms please? Where they attach to axle and frame - different angles.

Thanks!

Back