Any 2011+ ham radio guys?? | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Any 2011+ ham radio guys??

Radio and antenna installed

Finally got radio and antenna installed by a local stereo shop.

Radio body installed under driver seat. Extension speaker mounted out of sight under dash on drivers side. 8 gauge power wire and coax ran through firewall on drivers side.

Very, very pleased with the installation.

Had front windows tinted as well.

Attachments

• Antenna.jpg
    Antenna.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 840
  • Radio.jpg
    Radio.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 1,476

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That looks VERY good!!! Did you also use ProClip to mount the control head?

Panavise mount that bolts under the screen bezel. Then attached a universal GPS mount that has swivel adjustment.

The ICOM 880h control head has a detachable metal mounting plate with magnets on the back of the head. Attached the mounting plate to the GPS mount with some 3M double sided tape. The head can still be removed to stow out of sight.

Finally got radio and antenna installed by a local stereo shop.

Radio body installed under driver seat. Extension speaker mounted out of sight under dash on drivers side. 8 gauge power wire and coax ran through firewall on drivers side.

Very, very pleased with the installation.

Had front windows tinted as well.

Is there a grommet already in the firewall on the driver side?

The Interceptor upfitters guide only specifies the passenger side access.

KB4KFT, Duluth (Atlanta), Georgia

I had not seen any activity on here since I first got the Explorer and posted, figured it was just a deader.

Maybe a picture would help, my set up is fairly simple as I sometimes have
clients in the car and need to be passenger friendly. I used the little escape
hatch for iPod and whatnot just in front of the gear shift, cut a fiberglass tray
to fit in snuggly in the opening, and mounted the control head for the FT-8800
there. Remove the tray/head, close the lid, nothing shows.

Now that I am getting into DMR I will probably come up with something
for the driver's side of the console... seen some nice set ups here and other
places. I don't want to get it against my leg or where the seat rubs it so
placement is important.

A question I would have is how most people in this group get power to the
rigs. I did get through the firewall but it was a matter of touch and feel.
no way to actually see where the wire comes through.

Amateur antenna mounting help

I am looking for ideas on mounting a 2m/440 antenna to my new 2016 ford explorer that is currently on order. I really don't want to drill into the roof if possible. Ideas anyone?

thanks
John

I am looking for ideas on mounting a 2m/440 antenna to my new 2016 ford explorer that is currently on order. I really don't want to drill into the roof if possible. Ideas anyone?

thanks
John

Getting my 2016 Explorer next week. I have to transfer my dual-band over from my Ranger. I will probably go with the same antenna that I had on it -- Opek 2m/70cm Glass Mount Antenna.

Pretty good performance for a glass mount, and a pretty good price point too. It would probably work on the rear side glass.

I have also thought about getting one of these and putting it on the hatch: Comet CP-5NMO Adjustable Lip Mount.

I'll make my decision after I figure out where and how I am going to mount the radio.

I have a firestik door jamb mount above the left tail light & a 3 ft firestik ii antenna.

Luckily, the hatch isn't completely centered.so there is enough of a gap.

Also, I ran the coax thru the tail light wiring grommet to pass the wires inside.

If you have the factory tinted glass than double check it - I am told it is non-conductive and will not transfer a signal.

thanks
John
I've merged your thread with this existing one in order to try and keep ham related posts in one place.

Peter

If you have the factory tinted glass than double check it - I am told it is non-conductive and will not transfer a signal.
It worked on the back glass of my Ranger, which has privacy tint. Besides, glass in not conductive anyway. The glass mount antennas work on capacitance. Now a metallic tint film would probably screw up the operation, but mounting instructions tell you to remove tint film where you stick the interior portion of the antenna.

I have a firestik door jamb mount above the left tail light & a 3 ft firestik ii antenna.

Luckily, the hatch isn't completely centered.so there is enough of a gap.

Do you have any pictures of this setup? Sounds perfect for what I'm looking to do.

Do you have any pictures of this setup? Sounds perfect for what I'm looking to do.

I tried uploading a pic in my signature.......I don't have an online picture host.

I'll see if I can IM a picture.

Call Sign KI6FFR, 2015 Ford Interceptor W/Ecoboost Radio is a Kenwood D710, Lake Tahoe.
ord%20Interceptor%20%203-26-2016%20065_zpslmi4wknm.jpg

ord%20Interceptor%20%203-26-2016%20078_zps57bg5wdd.jpg

If you IM your email address to me ill send you pictures.

I now have the control head of my Yaesu Ft-7900 mounted to the dash on a Panavise mount.

yaesu-install.jpg

I gotta get to work on a place to mount the mic. I'll probably use an extension cable to bring it over to the driver's side of the center console.

Today I mounted the main body of the radio in one of the cubby holes under the police cargo platform (another mod I did).

yaesu-install-2.jpg

And stuck a Larsen KG-2/70 antenna to the rear side glass.

yaesu-install-3.jpg

I haven't tuned the antenna yet, but did hit the cross-town repeater on low power (5 watts). Reception is very good too.

I have the speaker under the driver's seat for now. Works okay down there, but I will have to see if I can't find a better place for it.

Today I mounted the main body of the radio in one of the cubby holes under the police cargo platform (another mod I did).

What is a police cargo platform?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back